Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,148,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
There could be a possibility of the Milwaukee Brewers trading Jonathan Lucroy to the San Diego Padres. That was a rumor that I heard about a few weeks ago.
Kind of hard to see the sense to that. Lucroy represents a great bargain this season (4 million) and next season (5.25 million), but after that he is a free agent and will get expensive. He is very desirable for a club in a contending position, but would be gone before he could help a weak club turn into a contender.

The Padres are 15 games out, only a little better than the Brewers who are 17.5 game out. It makes sense for the Brewers to unload him now while they can get something of value in return, but Lucroy isn't going to make any difference for the Padres this season, and probably not in 2017 either. San Diego would be better off hanging on to prospects who might be able to help them win in 2018 and beyond.

Last edited by Grandstander; 07-23-2016 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:05 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
I read about the Indians' interest in Lucroy a few days ago. More focus seems to lie in bullpen help, which I think would be smart if it comes down to one or the other. I'm "ok" with Gimenez and Perez behind the plate.

Indians reportedly targeting Jonathan Lucroy | MLB.com

Old 07-23-2016, 03:50 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,397,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Kind of hard to see the sense to that. Lucroy represents a great bargain this season (4 million) and next season (5.25 million), but after that he is a free agent and will get expensive. He is very desirable for a club in a contending position, but would be gone before he could help a weak club turn into a contender.

The Padres are 15 games out, only a little better than the Brewers who are 17.5 game out. It makes sense for the Brewers to unload him now while they can get something of value in return, but Lucroy isn't going to make any difference for the Padres this season, and probably not in 2017 either. San Diego would be better off hanging on to prospects who might be able to help them win in 2018 and beyond.
I think Lucroy is a good trade for the Brewers but I don't know his future yet.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Quote:
There could be a possibility of the Milwaukee Brewers trading Jonathan Lucroy to the San Diego Padres. That was a rumor that I heard about a few weeks ago.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
That makes absolutely no sense at all.
It sure does. There were rumors about Lucroy being traded, period. There was talk about it and I heard it with my own ears. You say that because you are not a Brewers fan, but a Nationals fan. But I will tell you this: The Cleveland Indians have expressed interest in Lucroy.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It sure does. There were rumors about Lucroy being traded, period. There was talk about it and I heard it with my own ears. You say that because you are not a Brewers fan, but a Nationals fan. But I will tell you this: The Cleveland Indians have expressed interest in Lucroy.

It makes absolutely no sense at all for why the Padres would want him. Sure, he's got a nice contract, but they already have a lot of catching depth (even if Norris gets traded) and probably won't be competing next year anyways.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
It makes absolutely no sense at all for why the Padres would want him. Sure, he's got a nice contract, but they already have a lot of catching depth (even if Norris gets traded) and probably won't be competing next year anyways.
Even if the Padres don't want him, The Indians are very interested in trading for Lucroy.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:12 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:

Not sure; they could want him as a chip to trade not long after getting him.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:33 AM

Looks like the Cubs are the favorites to land Chapman after Rizzo won't include Reynaldo Lopez or Joe Ross in the deal . This is a franchise that has all but 1 appearance in an NLCS (81 when they were still located in Montreal), and even though they have made the playoffs twice in the last 5 years and should make it 3 in 5 years this year they have gone out in excoriatingly bad fashion. They are also playing in a city that last made an appearance in a World Series, what, almost 80 years ago?? Not saying even with Chapman they make the World Series or even the NLCS but it's a better chance with him. Both Lopez & Ross are young pitchers that will probably be decent pitchers but......Ross had a good year last year, but in his second year has regressed, especially his last 3 or 4 starts before getting hurt, and Lopez bombed out in his MLB debut. With that said, neither is likely to have a big impact on the team this year: Ross will be a #4 or #5 and may or may not even start a postseason game, and Lopez will probably be a September call up who may make a start or 2, but won't be on the postseason roster. SP's are the easiest players to find, and if you have an excess of them (like the Nats do) I don't know why you WOULDN'T trade a couple of them. Sure, he's a rental, and sure Ross & Lopez could be great but Chapman is a proven commodity and Lopez & Ross are prospects. Chapman can POTENTIALLY give the Nats the franchise's first World Series, and the city's first World Series since the 1920's, while Ross & Lopez will lead them to another NLDS exit most likely. Fullmer has turned out to be a success in Detroit, but do you think the Mets have any regrets at all about getting Cespedes and having to part with Fullmer?? They didn't win the World Series, but they got there, and were a couple wins away from winning it. Do they get there if they hold onto Fullmer and don't get Cespedes?? Probably not. He wasn't big in the playoffs, but he was huge down the stretch in August & September when the Mets ultimately caught and passed the Nats, and he was a big reason why they did. Since the East was a 1 playoff team division last year, Cespedes put the Mets in the position to make the playoffs, and that's what they did. If the Yankees want Ross Rizzo, give them Ross! If the Cubs get Chapman, the Nats have no chance at beating the Cubs in the playoffs.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,985 times
Default Chapman traded to Cubs for prospects

Cubs to acquire Aroldis Chapman from Yankees | MLB.com

Now things will get interesting, Andrew Miller is just as good a closer as Chapman, I'm sure some contenders will overpay for him, will the Yanks bite..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball