Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 03:03 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Will you be on the Nats roster tonight? Yes, this was the most complete salary dump I have ever seen.
If I was in DC yes. Actually, I probably had a chance to play for the Cubs too. Imagine this weekends series. Soto for the Nats vs. Contreras for the Cubs, will EITHER of them see a single pitch this weekend?? Does EITHER team want to win?? Will we get a 0-0 score in the 30th inning one of these 3 games?? Fascinating storylines to watch this weekend, assuming you aren't playing for either team. First 20 fans through the gates tonight not only get the Victor Robles bobble head, they get to suit up and play in the game as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 03:27 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
If I was in DC yes. Actually, I probably had a chance to play for the Cubs too. Imagine this weekends series. Soto for the Nats vs. Contreras for the Cubs, will EITHER of them see a single pitch this weekend?? Does EITHER team want to win?? Will we get a 0-0 score in the 30th inning one of these 3 games?? Fascinating storylines to watch this weekend, assuming you aren't playing for either team. First 20 fans through the gates tonight not only get the Victor Robles bobble head, they get to suit up and play in the game as well
Robles might hit cleanup, lol. Only shocks to me were Turner & Rizzo.

I do think Soto gets 150 walks in 2022 and 2023, each year.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Schwarber gone now, joining Hand, Scherzer, Turner this week.

I would be hard pressed to guess the Nats starting lineup, even after covid affects dissipate.

7express, You now have the rebuild you requested.
Before the lineup gets announced let me guess:

C: Treas Berrera tonight but I think Keibert Ruiz gets the majority of the starts once he arrives
1b: Josh Bell
2b: Luis Garcia
SS: Alcides Escobar
3b: Carter Kieboom
LF: Gerardo Parra
CF: Victor Robles
RF: Juan Soto.

Escobar had been leading off anyways, so assume he stays there. I'd probably go Kieboom 2nd, Soto, Bell, Parra, Ruiz, Garcia, Robles, pitcher. I'd put Gray in the bullpen the rest of the year but not sure what they will do with him, figure Finnegan/Tanner Rainey get most of potential save chances but I wouldn't put it past Gray getting an opportunity as well, actually that's where I'd slot him upon his arrival. See how he does as a closer with 0 expectations. If he excels, keep him there, much easier to fill out your rotation then find a proven closer, but we will see what happens starting on Saturday or Sunday when they arrive, if they even arrive to DC and don't go to Rochester (AAA) instead.

BTW Bob, nice pick ups for the Mets today as well. Glad to see they actually made a move, better for the game.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Robles might hit cleanup, lol. Only shocks to me were Turner & Rizzo.

I do think Soto gets 150 walks in 2022 and 2023, each year.
Baez was surprising as well to me. Figure Kyle Davies was more likely to move than Baez.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
If I was in DC yes. Actually, I probably had a chance to play for the Cubs too. Imagine this weekends series.
I wish we could sentence prisoners to have to watch, but SC would rule it "cruel and unusual punishment".

Old 07-30-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:

BTW Bob, nice pick ups for the Mets today as well. Glad to see they actually made a move, better for the game.
It is, but I wanted Gray as well. Berrios was too high priced. In some ways, Baez fits NYM more than Bryant as we need a dare devil on the bases, with pop. Villar started year a dare devil, but is focused stupidly on hitting homers now.

My hunch is in 2022 we exceed cap, so if Baez does well next 2 months, with Lindor adoring him, I bet Cohen tries to keep him.

Once we exceed cap, Cohen has indicated he does not want it to be a few million over, so I also expect him to offer Thor and Conforto QOs, unless we get Bryant as a free agent in which case he replaces MC.

I like the kid we gave up today, but we needed more offense plus a true SS until Lindor comes back.

Assuming the new deal makes DH in NL perm, club could go with a Dom/Davis DH platoon if they wished. Dom could also play when Polar Bear rests.

Anyway, thanks, did not mean to highjack Nats thread, but I think, assuming JD comes back well, we have enough to hold Braves off. I do not think Phils are solid enough to finish above 3rd.

I applaud Braves , no matter what, for not quitting after horrible Acuna injury.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:36 AM

Default 56-80

It would be nice if they could win 1 game against the Phillies, Mets, or Braves. They finished the regular season against the Phillies like 6-13, I think losing the last 8 games of the series, and I believe they had leads in 6 of the 8 games they lost. The regular season series vs. the Braves isn't much better, but they have 3 more against them in Atlanta this week so I'll tabulate those results than. The numbers vs. the Mets are slightly better with the final game of that season series commencing in about 10.5 hours in DC, but that's mainly due to the games in June when the Nats were at the season's high point, but even with a win in the finale would likely finish under .500. I knew they would be bad, but this has been atrocious. The sad thing is the D'Backs, Pirates, Orioles and Rangers were so bad before hand and with 15 (!!!) games left against the Marlins, Pirates and Rockies (who we have somehow yet to play this year despite it being Labor Day) it's probably not even enough to sneak into the top 5. We'd have to get swept by Pittsburgh and hope the Pirates get hot in September while we stay cold.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:37 PM

Default Final record: 65-97

Thank God this is over! All year failure with the bases loaded and runners in scoring position was a disaster, and the relief corps was a complete dumpster fire, and both reared it's ugly head today. There were back to back doubles in the 2nd that only lead to 1 run, they has bases loaded and 1 out in the 3rd and only scored 1 run, and they got a 1 out double in the 4th and couldn't even get that runner to 3rd, Joan Adon, making his major league debut actually pitched really well: 2 runs, 6 hits, 9 strikeouts in 6.1, but watched Erick Fedde and Kyle Finnegan both of whom should be on the next Greyhound leaving Washington flushed his win with 5 runs and 5 hits in 1 combined inning.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:32 PM

Default 2022: 0-0

Well, at least Soto is still here. Nelson Cruz also comes aboard after the lockout ended when the NL added a DH. Josiah Gray and Keibert Ruiz will have a full season in DC. Stephen Strasburg & Patrick Corbin probably 1 & 1A in "worst contracts in baseball" will need to pitch often and effectively to have any chance at one of the Wildcards.

Best case scenario: Strasburg & Corbin each win 10-15 games making 30 starts each; Nelson Cruz finishes with 30 home runs adding extra protecting for Juan Soto who has another season with numbers comparable to Ted Williams. Mets continue to Met (already might have started with deGrom & Scherzer injuries), Phillies bullpen & defense is historically awful, and the Nats snag a 2nd place finish in the division well behind the Braves, but nab a Wildcard.

Worst case scenario: Strasburg & Corbin each prove last years disaster wasn't a fluke as each gets hurt and each pitches poorly on the mound; Cruz doesn't find the fountain of youth and can't find protection for Soto; Soto gets the Barry Bonds treatment this year and they can't agree on a contract extension and they end up trading him at the Winter Meetings.

My prediction: Even with the expanded playoffs, they still need a lot of things to break their way and a lot of ifs, where it's probably not looking like a playoff team. Marlins made some decent additions, so it's quite possibly they can finish 2nd even if the Mets met and the Phillies bullpen & defense is historically awful. And I doubt 3rd place is going to get a Wildcard; even 2nd place may not even be good enough either. 70-92, 5th place finish in the division.

Game 1 on Thursday against the Mets. Corbin (9-16, 5.82 in '21) starts for the Nats with Scherzer now a Met and Strasburg on the IL, while the Mets have deGrom also on the IL and Scherzer with a bum hammy so they haven't listed a starter yet. Game time slated for 4:05.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:19 PM

Ruiz looks super! Soto, too, but that is a known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball