Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:13 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
That's your opinion and again its your city. I like localized, straight up blue collar cities. The kind of place where people have lived in the same neighborhood since their great grandpa got off the boat. Young professionals kind of dilute that. I don't like their culture, the "I went to college" trendy crap grates on me. Again not my city, but although I have what I want here in NYC but it's confined to the bottom third of Queens, BK and SI and I'm kind of sick of getting frustrated or feeling all "stranger in a strange land" and "ew yuppies"!every time I leave my neighborhood. Not my city, so on to the next...thanks though
Maybe you'd like the midwest, where change happens at a slower pace. Baltimore is in the NE corridor and changing. Evolve or die, that's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:26 AM

148 posts, read 302,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Maybe you'd like the midwest, where change happens at a slower pace. Baltimore is in the NE corridor and changing. Evolve or die, that's life.
Thanks for the lecture. I just like more blue collar places. That is all. Where in the Midwest? Detroit? Chicago? It's all the same. The prescense of a significant white collar element just ain't my thing. I avoid it here but if I move to another city and leave home it's will be to a place where I don't have to avoid large chunks of the city.

Again, thanks for the lecture. Was unsolicited though.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:48 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,447 times
Quote:
Thanks for the lecture. I just like more blue collar places. That is all. Where in the Midwest? Detroit? Chicago? It's all the same. The prescense of a significant white collar element just ain't my thing. I avoid it here but if I move to another city and leave home it's will be to a place where I don't have to avoid large chunks of the city.

Not a lecture at all, a suggestion - meant to be helpful. Seems like an industrial/light manufacturing area is what you are describing? Maybe with agricultural roots or agriculture nearby? Industry has largely left Baltimore, just like Pittsburgh etc; lots of these cities are going with services (financial, health), colleges etc. This is these cities evolving as manufacturing is less of an economic engine for them.

Good luck finding a place you are comfortable.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:13 PM

148 posts, read 302,505 times
Quote:
Not a lecture at all, a suggestion - meant to be helpful. Seems like an industrial/light manufacturing area is what you are describing? Maybe with agricultural roots or agriculture nearby? Industry has largely left Baltimore, just like Pittsburgh etc; lots of these cities are going with services (financial, health), colleges etc. This is these cities evolving as manufacturing is less of an economic engine for them.

Agriculture? Huh? I work on cars for a living and I'm from Brooklyn..

I just want somewhere with less this:

Or this:

And more this:

Or this:

Or this:

Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
Why not embrace both blue collar and cosmopolitan lifestyles? Tactfully, you can do both!

Quote:
Agriculture? Huh? I work on cars for a living and I'm from Brooklyn..

I just want somewhere with less this:

Or this:

And more this:

Or this:

Or this:

Old 03-25-2015, 12:56 PM

Yeah, isn't the city of Cleveland like that?!

Quote:

Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM

"Young professionals kind of dilute that. I don't like their culture, the "I went to college" trendy crap grates on me."

*No they don't! Some of the locals decided to stay in their stagnant little places, not moving, creating or providing new ideas of innovation. I'm speaking up for young professionals because some of them truly want change for the better, thus, adding context and more texture in this urban landscape we call The American City. People are proud of their educational accomplishments and should be. DON'T HATE!!! Learn from them. Man, if you're from Brooklyn, why not take some class at LIU, Medgar Evers or a SUNY/CUNY branch to grab some knowledge. Colleges and universities are exciting places and worlds all unto themselves.

The limitations of Blue Collar thinking..

Quote:

Old 03-25-2015, 01:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Dundalk is the home of Waterbillies.....That was in the comment section of one of the links... NOW I have heard everything...

Old 03-25-2015, 01:10 PM

My ex-was from East New York! It's about as blue collar and no collar as you can get, if you can find a job up there. They are revitalizing and revamping all those Brooklyn, New York neighborhoods. Anytime I see $2million dollar condos not to far from Pitkin Avenue, you know the game is about over!

Quote:
That's your opinion and again its your city. I like localized, straight up blue collar cities. The kind of place where people have lived in the same neighborhood since their great grandpa got off the boat. Young professionals kind of dilute that. I don't like their culture, the "I went to college" trendy crap grates on me. Again not my city, but although I have what I want here in NYC but it's confined to the bottom third of Queens, BK and SI and I'm kind of sick of getting frustrated or feeling all "stranger in a strange land" and "ew yuppies"!every time I leave my neighborhood. Not my city, so on to the next...thanks though

Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM

"This is these cities evolving as manufacturing is less of an economic engine for them..."

*Read Joel Kotkin's work! The plans to re-arrange and re-structure these urban cities were in the plans years ago, and New York City lead the way.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore