Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,631,104 times

Advertisements

A New Jersey man accused of punching and shattering a window on a JetBlue airplane as it departed Orlando last month is slated to be arraigned on a federal charge Tuesday.

Robert Ramirez of Hackensack, N.J., was a passenger onboard a JetBlue flight that departed from Orlando International Airport on Nov. 2.

Passenger shatters JetBlue window: Man indicted for punching, shattering JetBlue airplane window - chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,692,805 times
That would be the thin lexan inner window that keeps dust off of the outer window. Not a chance in hell that he could punch through the outer window.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 AM

21,167 posts, read 19,761,393 times
Good point. Notice how the media always leaves out any details that would de-hype a story?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,557,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Good point. Notice how the media always leaves out any details that would de-hype a story?
Otherwise it wouldn't be story.

It sounds way cooler when a guy punches his way out of the aircraft.

Edit: How strong is that inner window area, it seems like a moderate pressure would be enough to crack it?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Edit: How strong is that inner window area, it seems like a moderate pressure would be enough to crack it?
It looks thinner than the Plexiglass used on storm doors. It's just there because the actual window gets pretty cold. Outside air temp is -55 degrees. (No, it has nothing to do with keeping the dust off.)

Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
It looks thinner than the Plexiglass used on storm doors. It's just there because the actual window gets pretty cold. Outside air temp is -55 degrees. (No, it has nothing to do with keeping the dust off.)
That's what I figure. I don't think having passengers getting frostbite when they fall asleep is good for business.

I feel most people think aircraft are incredibly flimsy. I've been 'talked' to by fellow passengers when I put my hand on the aircraft skin before I step in the door. I know the interiors are cheap, but it is still a solid machine.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I feel most people think aircraft are incredibly flimsy.
An empty pop (or soda) can is also pretty flimsy, but fill it up under pressure and it is quite solid.

Also should be pointed out that flexibility is actually a good thing as it allows an aircraft to "give" without snapping. During initial testing of an aircraft, the wings are flexed to an astonishing degree without snapping.

When designing an aircraft, you don't want to have any part of it over-strengthened because that would just be dead weight. You would ideally want the entire aircraft to fall apart all at once. The plane is only designed to withstand the maximum expected load to be encountered.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
An empty pop (or soda) can is also pretty flimsy, but fill it up under pressure and it is quite solid.

Also should be pointed out that flexibility is actually a good thing as it allows an aircraft to "give" without snapping. During initial testing of an aircraft, the wings are flexed to an astonishing degree without snapping.

When designing an aircraft, you don't want to have any part of it over-strengthened because that would just be dead weight. You would ideally want the entire aircraft to fall apart all at once. The plane is only designed to withstand the maximum expected load to be encountered.
I've seen some cool videos on the 787 in regards to wing strength and flexing capability.

Then again, I've seen a coworker of mine drive a beltloader right through the side of an MD-88.

I never really thought of the over-strengthened part of it. So we can make aircraft really safe, but they wont be efficient or economical. Flight always makes me ponder things...

Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,180,915 times
Quote:

I feel most people think aircraft are incredibly flimsy. I've been 'talked' to by fellow passengers when I put my hand on the aircraft skin before I step in the door.
I wonder how many of us do this very thing?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I wonder how many of us do this very thing?
The talking to or the ol' aircraft pat on the back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation