Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times

Advertisements

I received this email today and it makes sense:

Quote:
PUT YOUR CAR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/ rapist won't stick around.... After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there ..... This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.
This is assuming you have any decent range from your bedroom to your car outside, that is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
most people don't think twice about an alarm or panic going off-- maybe they did when few cars had this feature but not anymore

also, I rarely find value in any email that instructs me to "forward this to everyone you know"

i did notice on that show where they break into houses on purpose to show weaknesses that they always take all the car keys and the fix is normally installing a key lock box

calling 911 > flipping your car alarm or panic button

Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
It'll also keep the cats off the car. Saw a cat scoping out my car and got ready to jump when I hit the panic button. I wish I had it on video. Never saw that cat near my car again. Also never got cat paw prints on my car again.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:32 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It'll also keep the cats off the car. Saw a cat scoping out my car and got ready to jump when I hit the panic button. I wish I had it on video. Never saw that cat near my car again. Also never got cat paw prints on my car again.

I can see it working for the cat purpose much better than for the other purpose the OP stated.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'd love to see the reaction of a cat with muddy feet (do cats that walk on cars always have muddy feet ) when the horn started beeping.

But I have found it quite effective at persuading a 300 lb black bear to get out of the trash can.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
At first I thought about waiting until the cat was on my car but then I remembered the claws. That's why I hit it before the cat jumped up on the car.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
snopes.com: Foiling Burglars with Car Alarms

Old 04-23-2009, 07:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
That won't work. Let me tell you why:

Woke up one night at 12:30 by hubby saying, "do you hear that?" It was a car alarm going off. Right now we have 3 cars parked in the driveway as there are 3 more IN the garage (can't wait till new garage done and they can ALL be in a garage). I went up a set of stairs in the house and could see the reflection of lights going off in OUR driveway. It was one of ours. Called 911 and the police came. Now mind you by the time the alarm FIRST went off and the police showing up was probably 10 minutes. Officer parked 2 doors down and came to front door. Told us it was probably just wind. Um, no ours are not THAT sensitive. He went around to look. Walked around to find someone STILL IN THE DRIVEWAY and in one of the cars rifling thru it. They took off to their car in the alley and p.d. went running back to their car. Police then went down alley and I swear he was going about 40mph with LIGHTS AND SIRENS going full blast. Neighbor directly behind us has bedroom window that faces their drive and ours. Police chased suspect all the way to front of entrance and backup picked them up and first officer came back to our house to the driveway in back. Well, one of the thieves had jumped ship before they tore off. The officer then found him BACK IN OUR DRIVEWAY!!!! He ended up wearing a nice set of bracelets then. They caught him right then.

NO ONE in the neighborhood except a handful heard the car alarm, the police sirens, etc. A few did but not many and ONLY after the police were on foot w/ the canines all over the neighborhood.

If we had not realized it was ours and called the police no one else would have. No one pays any attention to car alarms.

Oh, all they got was some pocket change as we don't leave ANYTHING of value in our cars.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
I have a better solution. Get a home security system with a remote fob like I got and use that instead. I keep mine by the bed and I can hit the panic any time I want setting off the house sirens and it automatically calls the police..

Al new home security system are cheap (free to install) and cheap monthy service. ($35) well worth it.. and they have the key fobs to arm and disarm the system from anywhere nearby.. thi is very handy as I can disarm the system before I evenwalk up to the front door.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I received this email today and it makes sense:

This is assuming you have any decent range from your bedroom to your car outside, that is....
Great tip, Titanium . . . thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive