Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Should the Nerdy White Guy from the 'Burbs Buy?
Toyota Corolla 9 24.32%
Toyota Prius 7 18.92%
Ford Fusion 4 10.81%
Chevrolet Cobalt 0 0%
Mercury Milan 2 5.41%
Scion xB 4 10.81%
Subaru Impreza 6 16.22%
Honda Civic Hybrid 7 18.92%
Ford Focus 1 2.70%
Nissan Sentra 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I went with the Prius. If you can afford it they are great. My old boss bought one and loved to rub her fuel mileage in our faces. It is bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside.

This will most likely be the one & only time I do not go with a GM product.
The Prius was actually at the very top of my budget. I'm looking to spend no more than the $15k-$20k range, and Priuses, at least around here, typically surpass that into the mid-$20k range. I'd actually be willing to purchase a used car as well, as long as it had under 50,000 miles, had clear service records, was a year 2003 or newer, etc. Actually, though, thank you for mentioning the "if you can afford it" part; you just helped me to toss the Prius off of my list, along with the Cobalt and the xB. Three down; six to go! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 AM

23,024 posts, read 34,413,899 times
Hey! I think you should get a Toyota. My husband turned me on them years ago. They are so dependable. I have a Camry and love it. If not a Toyota then a Honda. Good luck and let us know what you decided!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hey! I think you should get a Toyota. My husband turned me on them years ago. They are so dependable. I have a Camry and love it. If not a Toyota then a Honda. Good luck and let us know what you decided!
That's another vote for the Corolla then (as I just ruled out the Prius). Thank you for your input; my father has also recommended the Corolla to me, as it starts in the mid-teens price range and gets 41 miles per gallon, both of which are attractive to me. I also like the "styling" of the car; it's inexpensive but "looks elegant." A part of me wishes I was "buying American", but there truly aren't a whole lot of options from the "Big Three" that fit my criteria. Instead of giving the public "what they want", our domestic companies keep on trying to hawk Suburbans and Hummers at everyone at a time when most people can't afford to fill their tanks. At least Ford now has the Focus and Fusion, both of which are relatively fuel-efficient and affordable (and both of which are still in the running for me as well, as I've had my Ford Contour now for a number of years and haven't had any trouble with it until now).

Old 02-16-2007, 09:21 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,993,255 times
For me, Toyota first then Honda! Dependability gives far more peace of mind than you can imagine!
I've only had two toyota trucks since 1985 and they have never been in the shop....ever. My "newest" one is a 98 Toyota Tacoma I bought new (dang, already going on 9 years old! Time flies!) and it's been a dream.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,170,850 times
I think the Toyota Corolla would be great. They are larger now, peppy, dependable, reliable, you can dress it up if you like the sporty look. Great on gas. Nothing bad to say about it. I have a 1999 Honda Accord. My son has a older Corolla and he had an Acura before that. Just goes to show you.
I've had both American and Japanese and I don't want to sound unpatriotic but we still can't catch up with the Japanese.
My son and I were having a little conversation the other day about the Daimsler-Chrysler downsizing issue. He's a engineer and he worked for Chrysler at one time.
He says the basic problem is: American companies build cars based on costs. Japanese build based on quality. So, you have a window seal for example. If we can install one for 30 cents vs the 80 cents one the Japanese will put in, we'll do 30 cents and will end up replacing it several times over the warranty and ownership period. Whereas the Japanese put it in the first time and don't have to deal with it again. So American made car companies end up spending a ton more time (=s $$) and get the dubious distinction of being a piece of blank, blank due to unsatisfied customer. That's why they can't compete. We don't return.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,862,999 times
After your recent snowfall...I'd consider the Subaru with 4 wheel drive! I don't know anything about those others.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,098,079 times
Does "None of the above count?" I'd vote for a Honda Accord anytime. It is currently the only totally American Made vehicle sold in the United States.

My son-in-law drives one. The last 4 cars he's had were all Honda's. We live in Wyoming so snow and wind is a big factor. He lives in one town and works in another 32 miles down the road. He drives back and forth, every day and has no problem on snow and ice with wind.

Maintenance wise, he's never had a problem with any of his cars. He picks them up when they are 2 years old and he drives them for two years and then trades for another. At 2 years, he gets them for about 50% of original cost. 20-40 thousand miles on them. But at 4 years, the value is holding well and he gets about 80% of his purchase price, back in his trade.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,561,986 times
I voted for the Prius, because it's so environmentally friendly. I drive a Corolla, and have never had any problems with it. Toyotas hold their resale value very well, because they run forever if they're maintained properly. Even though mine is an automatic, it does pretty well on gas mileage - about 32 mpg on the highway.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:52 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,229,706 times
I just got a new VW Rabbit when my Audi went out of warranty and needed 3K in routine maintenance. I looked at the Prius, but couldn't get used to the rear view- even though I guess I would have gotten used to that camera in the dash.

I love my Rabbit. VW has other models that are very nice. Not sure how it handles in snow or about AWD, though.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,017,053 times
My short list for single vehicle, best all-around everyday transportation:

Small
Honda Civic
Subaru Impreza

Mid Size
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry

Last edited by mm34b; 02-17-2007 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive