Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,154,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How hard is it to look down a highway and tell whether or not there's traffic in front of you?

Stupid speed limits should be broken. Preferably with impunity.
Yo Can you see any side roads or lack of them?. You see at any second a child or car may enter the road and guess what? you wont be able to stop....Respect the speed laws they are made for a reason....want to speed? do it on the race track ,...case made !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 09:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Child or car? Side roads? The place to let loose is on interstate and similar limited-access highways where these are not issues -- and also, where speed limits are most likely to be stupidly low for the prevailing conditions.

Yeah, speed limits are made (artificially low) for a reason all right -- to line the pockets of state and municipal governments and insurance companies. And spare me the lectures about not speeding equating to being safe. Driving the speed limit on the tollways around here will get you or someone else killed since you will basically be creating a rolling roadblock.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,117,086 times
Default Today I got a ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
True this, why were you going that fast anyway? Thank goodness you weren't driving a semi at that speed (though most trucks are governed at 65-70 anyway so no chance of overspeeding).

No wonder insurance rates are expensive.

They might be now days but when I worked for the State Police in this state you wouldn't think most trucks had governors on them. Truck speeding was my speciallty because in my area we had many long straight highways, and trucks took advantage of that at night. Truck speeding was common. Back then most of the trucks I stopped were from pacing them for a distance. I've seen trucks that I knew were going over 90 MPH, but I couldn't prove it. I had timed them over a marked distance and that wouldn't stand up in court, because at the time, that was considered a speed trap. It did give me a good idea which truck to chase and which ones to ignor. I lost every bus speeding ticket I ever wrote, but I never lost a truck speeding case. The one way to prevent getting a speeding ticket, that works everytime, just slow down and no body will bother you. The top speed I've ever driven a car was 134 MPH, and I didn't realize I was going that fast until the studs started popping out of my front tires and making a nose when they hit the fenders. 91 is a good speed on a race track, but if you are on a highway and other cars are present, it's too fast.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 AM

78,675 posts, read 60,878,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
91 is a good speed on a race track, but if you are on a highway and other cars are present, it's too fast.
I generally agree...although I've been on interstates in the US where the general flow of traffic was going 85+.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 AM

78,675 posts, read 60,878,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Problem is how do you know a road is "empty"? Never heard a road described as empty. If its a public highway you need to obey the speed limits. You never have to speed in order to be safe.
Well, when I'm on the interstate and the next exit is in 5+ miles and I can see for many miles in front of me....it's empty.

Additionally, my car can stop in 2/3 the distance of probably whatever you drive and handles much better and so on and so forth. So, on a 70mph interstate you need to be driving about 50mph to be as safe as me at 70mph....plus I never use a cell while driving....or drink....and the list goes on and on.

I haven't been involved in an accident in over 20 years but have a number of close calls annually with all of them being the fault of another driver and cell phones being involved in about 75% of them.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM

441 posts, read 1,329,030 times
Quote:
91 is a good speed on a race track, but if you are on a highway and other cars are present, it's too fast.
I wonder how those highways without speed limits works in Europe. Let me check... oh ye, incident rate is lower than in US. What could be wrong with your statement. Where did I heard it before, oh ye, guns kill

Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,878,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How hard is it to look down a highway and tell whether or not there's traffic in front of you?

Stupid speed limits should be broken. Preferably with impunity.
No problem! Just don't complain when you get ticketed.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,106,014 times
i came across this post because i hold a CDL and was stopped for speeding with a rental car i had out in west texas. these last posts describe my position as i was going pretty fast, but it was an empty road at night on interstate 10 to el paso. could anyone offer any advice?

Old 03-20-2011, 05:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
i came across this post because i hold a CDL and was stopped for speeding with a rental car i had out in west texas. these last posts describe my position as i was going pretty fast, but it was an empty road at night on interstate 10 to el paso. could anyone offer any advice?
My advice is this: if your job and/or employability as a CDL holder are on the line, get a lawyer and hope the prosecutor will accept a plea down to a non-moving violation.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,106,014 times
i dont really use the CDL that much. I used it last year to drive a branded vehicle (class B license). right now i'm not using it for CDL purposes, but i don't want my insurance rates going up. i know it affects the DOT points or whatever, but idk how much it affects it for just one speeding ticket in the past 3 years???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive