Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 08:33 AM

15,826 posts, read 20,610,474 times

Advertisements

Before this gets banished to the subforum where it will die

I'm in the market for a new car and a few of the models on the list have GM's "Super Cruise" as an available feature. Having some good tech is at the top of my list for the next vehicle.

Looking for some real-world feedback on how well this system works? From what I see in the video's i've watched, it's a completely hands-free semi-automated driving system that will even change lanes on it's own if needed.

How well does the system work in your experience? How does it handle cars changing lanes in front of you to blast over to the left lane? Does it hold the lane well in tighter highway turns at speed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 08:54 AM

421 posts, read 126,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

I'm in the market for a new car and a few of the models on the list have GM's "Super Cruise" as an available feature. Having some good tech is at the top of my list for the next vehicle.

Looking for some real-world feedback on how well this system works? From what I see in the video's i've watched, it's a completely hands-free semi-automated driving system that will even change lanes on it's own if needed.

How well does the system work in your experience? How does it handle cars changing lanes in front of you to blast over to the left lane? Does it hold the lane well in tighter highway turns at speed?
It works ok, but it's limited to mapped highways, which, for some reason, are different depending on which car you're buying... I know, right?

A lot of people have decided to not opt for it (it's a $2500 option) and so long as you have lane assist and adaptive cruise, you can add the comma AI module instead for half the money and get more functionality and more availability. I haven't tried comma AI yet (though I'm not really a fan of autonomous driving) but all reports so far indicate it's much better than SuperCruise.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:58 AM

15,826 posts, read 20,610,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
It works ok, but it's limited to mapped highways, which, for some reason, are different depending on which car you're buying... I know, right?.
I did see that. Fortunately, the highways I spend most of my time on do appear to be supported.

I looked into Comma AI, but as of right most of the vehicles I'm interested in are not supported by it, hence looking into the native tech.

I admit ACC and lane assist are likely all i need but SC does come packaged with a few other tempting features depending on which vehicle.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:56 PM

10,945 posts, read 4,630,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Its limited to limited access highways...they debuted it, advertised it by giving a bunch of cars to journalists and going cross country. IT was at first only available in a very pricey version of the now defunct CT6...wanted one, never pulled the trigger so to speak

Old 05-07-2024, 05:37 PM

1,402 posts, read 1,422,673 times
Just to be clear, adapted cruise and lane assistance are not hands free at all. I will admit, I really like the two and think they are keeping drivers safer. I also think gm’s ac/la are more refined than Honda.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:34 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,349,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
Just to be clear, adapted cruise and lane assistance are not hands free at all.

We know. SuperCruise, however, is hands free (though there is a camera that watches your eyes and if you stop paying attention it will warn you to take control).

Old 05-08-2024, 05:44 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,538,008 times
Is this the same thing as Ford's BlueCruise? I wonder if they borrow technology/infrastructure or are both proprietary.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:10 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,349,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Is this the same thing as Ford's BlueCruise? I wonder if they borrow technology/infrastructure or are both proprietary.

THey are proprietary, but very similar. Ford's seems to be the better implementation however.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/01...sumer-reports/

Old 05-09-2024, 07:44 AM

19,119 posts, read 27,724,944 times
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...oughts.138764/

https://community.cartalk.com/t/does...ruise/191206/2

Old 05-09-2024, 06:27 PM

1,507 posts, read 810,317 times
Web links alone won’t make me click without some commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive