Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 06:54 AM

2,781 posts, read 5,179,745 times

Advertisements

Prepare for an increase of pileups...

When a small plastic bag (or similar) is blown in front of the vehicle break sensor while traveling on the freeway at 70 mph, would the car break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 08:50 AM

3,325 posts, read 1,724,870 times
Automatic braking in general will help those people who fall asleep at the wheel or folks who are visually impaired. But in some situation it is more deadlier than simply some type of warning system that you should brake or avoid rather than the computer determine that braking first is more important.

There is no fool proof system, AI won't replace human drivers anytime soon and neither should we allow cars to brake on it's own without human decision.

Otherwise another stupid tragedy such as the Boeing airplanes dropping out of the sky because of a malfunction.

It's time to keep fixing our old cars and not buy any new cars.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:09 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,194,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Automatic braking in general will help those people who fall asleep at the wheel or folks who are visually impaired. But in some situation it is more deadlier than simply some type of warning system that you should brake or avoid rather than the computer determine that braking first is more important.

There is no fool proof system, AI won't replace human drivers anytime soon and neither should we allow cars to brake on it's own without human decision.

Otherwise another stupid tragedy such as the Boeing airplanes dropping out of the sky because of a malfunction.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:14 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,894,399 times
neither should we allow cars to brake on it's own without human decision.

Human decisions are the least reliable method of doing anything. While maybe some unintended consequences will show up as the kinks are ironed out - seems like lots of you would prefer 100 dead to a human decision versus 1 dead to a hardware screwup. Weird logic.

Meantime - plenty o' cars are on the road with auto-braking already. I've driven them. None of them have ever shown any thing other than needed braking (hey, it happens )

Other meantime - just saw a car fully equipped get smashed anyway - because when someone pulls out in front of you - human decision or machine - your car ain't stopping in time. Bam. So it's not fool proof, by any means.

Folks, if you think you make better decisions than a machine - fine. This car isn't for you. But look around. I see morons driving every day that shouldn't make a decision about where to get gas. They wreck daily. They cannot be depended upon to "stop" in time, and they are, indeed, the very a-hole tailgating you on the freeway. If there were not so many of them - then there would not be ANY rear end collisions - and this entire discussion would never take place.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:43 PM

6,508 posts, read 3,194,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Folks, if you think you make better decisions than a machine - fine. This car isn't for you. But look around. I see morons driving every day that shouldn't make a decision about where to get gas.
Yes, I feel that I can, and do, make better decisions than a machine. WHY? It's quite simple, when I'm driving in traffic, I don't just look at the car directly in front of me. I also look past that car, and keep an eye on what the traffic another 2-3 cars in front of that car are doing, and if I see brake lights come on, that far in front, I'm preparing to take action. Can a sensor on the front bumper of my car do that???

I highly doubt it.......

Old 05-03-2024, 08:02 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
Yes, it does. And the question is a dumb one. Someone tailgating like that will probably hit your car ANYHOW if there's a stoplight or something around. Yes, you can create a lot of doomsday scenarios where the tech is at fault. But...

Again, you're all acting like rear end accidents never happened before tech was in cars.

Can't rep you again. My god the doom and gloom. I'm glad my car has this.

Classic Volvo commercial. Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snst8htbwBo

Yea, I've had this feature on my car for 6 months and it's never once activated or caused a problem. But I'm glad if I die in my car like Freddie...

(Love the shoe falling off...lol)

Old 05-03-2024, 08:30 AM

3,325 posts, read 1,724,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
neither should we allow cars to brake on it's own without human decision.

Human decisions are the least reliable method of doing anything. While maybe some unintended consequences will show up as the kinks are ironed out - seems like lots of you would prefer 100 dead to a human decision versus 1 dead to a hardware screwup. Weird logic.

Meantime - plenty o' cars are on the road with auto-braking already. I've driven them. None of them have ever shown any thing other than needed braking (hey, it happens )

Other meantime - just saw a car fully equipped get smashed anyway - because when someone pulls out in front of you - human decision or machine - your car ain't stopping in time. Bam. So it's not fool proof, by any means.

Folks, if you think you make better decisions than a machine - fine. This car isn't for you. But look around. I see morons driving every day that shouldn't make a decision about where to get gas. They wreck daily. They cannot be depended upon to "stop" in time, and they are, indeed, the very a-hole tailgating you on the freeway. If there were not so many of them - then there would not be ANY rear end collisions - and this entire discussion would never take place.
In general I agree that most drivers are terrible. I do think they need to put some sensors that will alert that you are too close to cars ahead, I have sensors on my car that alert me 360 degrees if a car is too close to me and I know what to do. I think automatic braking should only apply in very limited situations and has to be fool proof.

I have had few cars that had auto braking and I hate how inaccurate they have been.

https://www.motor1.com/news/711984/n...gency-braking/

So how can the NHTSA requires auto braking and is investigating Honda for it. The reason is that auto braking is NOT fool proof and too many driving situations can cause the brakes to just kick in.

Why create a problem when few accidents are a result of braking. People are not good drivers so we should improve driving skills than use more poorly implemented safety ideas.

I believe auto braking will eventually cause so many accidents and lawsuits that car makers will make them optional so having it installed but owners turning them off just like DRL.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:33 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,894,399 times
Can a sensor on the front bumper of my car do that???\

The sensors aren't (just) in the bumper. But not the point...

The automatic braking is not the primary plan - YOU are the primary plan and all your "looking ahead." The auto-brake is the BACKUP plan for when you are texting instead of looking ahead. You still have to drive like a normal person. Nothing in this "feature" takes that away from you. It's just ADDING to what you're doing.

If you look ahead, always slow down, aware of your surroundings - then you'll likely never know this feature is installed. If you are day dreaming and there's stopped traffic ahead - then it will stop itself. Not sure what the downside here is or why it's an argument. It's ALREADY in cars - and I don't see headlines each day of AutoBrake Kills Man.

And if you are day dreaming, and there's a car stopped 8 cars ahead, and you don't see it, and your fancy car sensors don't see it - then you'll BAM hit it just like always. No change. Again, not sure what the downside here is.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:57 AM

6,125 posts, read 2,900,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

Already doing that. It's much cheaper in the long run, potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars saved over the course of a lifetime.

All these mandates do is jack up the price of automobiles. People complain about the price of automobiles, but they say they can't live without all of the latest features, never connecting the dots that those "necessary" features are the reason automobiles have become so expensive.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:04 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,486,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
My wife’s suv has this….hate it, very intrusive and deploys too soon.
Interesting, I've only driven one car where it was intrusive, and it's probably 8 model years old now and it was a cheap rental rocket. The other dozen or so cars I've driven with it it's been unnoticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I, too, am tired of having to deal with all sorts of gadgets designed to "save that one life", yet do nothing but make my life more complicated. People simply need to be trained, from their earliest days, to pay attention to the task at hand.....and nothing but the task at hand!

My wife and I just bought a new car. After getting in, and starting the engine, the 10" wide, video dashboard lights up with all sorts of bells and whistles, and a message scrolls across this "billboard" warning me that "distracted driving" is dangerous.....

THE ENTIRE DASHBOARD, BACKED UP BY STEERING WHEEL MOUNTED BUTTONS, IS A GIGANTIC DISTRACTION!!!!
Ok, boomer. You don't deal with that gadget anymore than you deal with ABS brakes. Get real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My concern with this is complacency. As drivers become reliant on this technology, they will become complacent about their own driving awareness trusting the tech enough to let their mind and eyes wonder. I’m a firm believer in Murphy’s Law. Technology can fail. Having it as an additional measure of safety is fine but to overly rely on it can lead to problems when it fails to work properly.
It's not really something you can become complacent with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Seriously though, all these new safety features, back up cameras, tire pressure sensors, automatic breaking, should be options and not mandatory. They drive up the cost of vehicles and drive up the cost of repairs (a lot). We are getting into the realm of diminishing returns. Seat belts are are great, I always wear mine. Air bags have saved a lot of lives and I'm glad our vehicles have them. TPS and backup cameras, not so much.

If you want them, and want to pay for them, go right ahead. But stop forcing me to.
I don't know that I consider TPMS a safety feature. And in any case, that's about as old of tech as there is. My cars are 17 and 19 years old, base model toyotas, and they have it.

As to the backup camera...I paid to add one to my wife's SUV and my Dad paid to add one to his pickup truck. I don't think it's necessary on a small car so I haven't added it to my Corolla. That's really one thing where I think someone lobbied hard for that one and cashed in on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive