Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 07:47 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,156,393 times

Advertisements

Best way to go, no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Has anyone used this service ? If so, what is your opinion of the experience ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 01:35 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
People are so cheap. A costco membership is $60 and sometimes they haves sales for $15 gift card when you sign.

Get the card, make your money back in a couple trips with free samples, a hot dog and chicken.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:31 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
All it is that Costco ensures the buying process is MSRP and no hidden mark ups. Costco partners with some local dealerships to provide the lead and I'm sure Costco pays the dealers a flat fee for brokering.

People don't understand how car dealerships work so it requires another party to incentivize the dealers to offer a car at MSRP without haggling.

I would never buy a brand new car because the dealership has a lot of discretion how they want to pad the sale and there's nothing you can do.

Buying used is the way to go.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:46 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
All it is that Costco ensures the buying process is MSRP and no hidden mark ups. Costco partners with some local dealerships to provide the lead and I'm sure Costco pays the dealers a flat fee for brokering.

^^^^^ correct

People don't understand how car dealerships work so it requires another party to incentivize the dealers to offer a car at MSRP without haggling.

I would never buy a brand new car because the dealership has a lot of discretion how they want to pad the sale and there's nothing you can do.

Buying used is the way to go.
^^^^^ not true unless you are buying beaters. Used cars cost more than new ones in the last 3-4 years!

Old 04-01-2024, 09:05 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
^^^^^ not true unless you are buying beaters. Used cars cost more than new ones in the last 3-4 years!
That is 100% untrue, I flip cars on the side and I never lose out on a deal. I am not a used car dealer. You are clearly an amateur. Used cars always cheaper than new since majority of new cars are bought with dealer markups and multiple useless packages. When I buy used I get the packages and sometimes warranty included. I bought my Hyundai Elantra GT used and came with warranty that was used to repair the crapped out engine. Still way below new car price.

Wherever you're buying used, you're getting ripped off.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:27 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Right now, they are offering $$ off sticker for Audis. All the program really does is to let the buyer know the price walking into the dealer. Also, the Costco program can also be used on used car purchases. Any member can get a price through the program and choose to buy or not, and even negotiate further with a dealer.

Costco does not pay the dealers, the dealers pay Costco for the leads.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:33 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Set price-Non negotiable
Only certain dealerships-not all

Old 04-01-2024, 12:13 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Has anyone used this service ? If so, what is your opinion of the experience ? Thanks.
I never bought through it. I used it as a starting price when I bought the Prius along with Truecar (can't really recommend the current iteration of TrueCar anymore, used to be good). Costo was $3,000 off MSRP, bought for $5,000 off. It wasn't particularly competitive on the Prius.

On the other hand I though abought getting a Bolt for a while and they couldn't be beat there, $14,000 off MSRP. Now it's not like it was hard to get 10-12k off MSRP but you weren't going to get much lower than that so Costco was a great deal.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
That is 100% untrue, I flip cars on the side and I never lose out on a deal. I am not a used car dealer. You are clearly an amateur. Used cars always cheaper than new since majority of new cars are bought with dealer markups and multiple useless packages. When I buy used I get the packages and sometimes warranty included. I bought my Hyundai Elantra GT used and came with warranty that was used to repair the crapped out engine. Still way below new car price.

You misread my post. If you are buying 1-2 year old cars you can likely get a better deal on something new. Unless you are buying beaters.....I'd classify a Hyundai with a bad motor a beater.

The last 3 new cars I bought sold for over MSRP as used cars........I paid MSRP or less. So please let me know how those smart used car buyers did better than the guy (me) who bought them new?

2021 BMW M4
2022 Porsche 911 C4S cab
2023 911 GTS

Yeah I guess I'm an amateur. My buddy has sold 9 brand new Ferraris as used cars, broke even on the first one (too many miles), took a loss on a hard top and made money on the other 7. The last one was a Pista and he made $125,000 over what he paid for it new. More smart used car buyers?

Old 04-01-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Here is another example:
https://www.carmax.com/car/25551969
2019 F150 XL (base model, white work truck)
19K miles asking $26,998

I bought this brand new in October 2019 as a brand new leftover truck and paid 24,320. 4.5 yrs later somebody is going to buy it as a used truck, no warranty for $2700 more?!?!?

Yep.........I'm an idiot for buying brand new cars instead of those really good deal used ones.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive