Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 01:46 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Funny you brought up EV's, they are about the easiest way to run 12's in a daily. It took me a cam, headers, a little head work, and a gear change to accomplish that in the 90's
Thats true, but who the hell wants to do 12s in a EV. Half the fun is knowing whats happening under the hood and hearing it.
Driving an EV is like being deaf and mute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

There's nothing like the "snap and snarl" produced by a "big block" Chevy engine (427-454), with 12.5:1 pistons, a big cam, and open headers!!!
Lets not forget the smell of the exhaust. Pure bliss
I once followed an e type Jag from 60s. Not only was I enjoying watching it, but the fumes were also wonderful.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:04 PM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Yup, VP Race Fuel..............

Old 03-28-2024, 06:17 PM

133 posts, read 39,925 times
Cruising is not dead when you have a Mercedes SL500 Silver Arrow . I can't stop putting no-destination miles on it. Big naturally aspirated V8.

https://thembmarket.com/mercedes-ben...silver-arrow-3

Old 03-29-2024, 07:24 AM

10,827 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Thats true, but who the hell wants to do 12s in a EV. Half the fun is knowing whats happening under the hood and hearing it.
Driving an EV is like being deaf and mute.

My grandparents had a 75 Impala custom my dad got on a trade from a local celeb once. He kept them in wheels. One of those non descript cars you would take on a heartbeat today.

one day, the muffler went and I was tasked to taking to the shop, old building, parts and grime everywhere, 'goerlich muffler' sign outside....in other words total americana from our romantic past.

It was a 4400lb car, with AC, and a small valve 350-2bbl that made a pavement scorching 140hp.

but on that day it sounded as good as a full storm 396 chevelle.

Ill take it over a silent vacuum cleaner ANY day.

The worst, weakest v8 just sounds good. right. wholesome. Its why we write songs.

You will NEVER hear 'little GTO' replaced with 'little model 3'

In so cal, Venice beach down to Coronado, no bikini clad lass is going to walk up to your window on a cruise and hint at a top drop if you give her a ride in your plaid. Never.

if this makes me a neanderthal, then tell me where the heck my club is.

ever see the movie 'the dilemma'?

Old 03-29-2024, 07:34 AM

10,827 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
I once followed an e type Jag from 60s. Not only was I enjoying watching it, but the fumes were also wonderful.

I tell everyone they have to just once, goto carlisle PA during a big show. Traditionally, fall, then spring were the largest shows, but due to chrylser/plymouth/dodge no longer being a company, 'mopar nats' (unofficial) - chrysler nationals (official) is the largest show in the USA every mid july. but if you like a mix, goto a spring or fall if there is an uncharacteristic sunny and warm spring or fall (it used to happen regularly in the past)

at 5pm friday and saturday the daily show, soft ends and those who drove the car, gather up to goto beans or the hotel .

At that point a couple thousand cars a true enthusiast will recognize from the pages of dozens of HP-Books publications or <insert maker> monthly magazine articles etc, fires it up and they do a 'quick' lap down the main aisles at 3mph. some are the cars are SO original that the owner has a jug of TEL in the trunk. The sound of the idle, the 'tink tink tink' as it lights off in the headers, the sweet smell of the TEL on the combustion side...

I grew up in the 60s and 70s when this was every day on every street in every town. On the fair grounds its like a book load of memories come flooding back.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:45 AM

369 posts, read 104,089 times
About the noise.. there's a reason automakers have been trying to reduce NVH in cars for decades, and luxury cars have tried to be as silent as possible (going back to Rolls Royce in the '60s with ads for it's silence).

And the real thing is most modern 4 cyl cars are crude and buzzy, not beautiful V8s and V12s. No one's going to miss the typical modern, buzzy CR-V or Accord. EVs, even cheap ones, are luxury cars in comparison. I'd suggest getting over it.

I mean have you listened to a modern 4 cyl engine in the typical modern crossover, minivan or sedan? Even the Mercedes and BMW turbo 2.0 liter engines are not sonorous at ALL. I say good riddance to those sounds.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:59 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
In my day, cruising Gratiot Ave was the big thing. Not only for muscle cars but it was also a way to meet girls. From Roseville to East Detroit , every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. I remember returning bottles for gas money to put in the old '73 340 Duster.
I'm sure Gratiot is still the thing. It was still a thing 00-06 when I moved out of state. But we used to go from Roseville to Mt Clements, that's where all the cruising was then. By 14 mile, it was pretty dead.

IMHO 2008 killed cruising. It's not much fun when gas is $6/g.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
Cruising is not dead when you have a Mercedes SL500 Silver Arrow . I can't stop putting no-destination miles on it. Big naturally aspirated V8.

https://thembmarket.com/mercedes-ben...silver-arrow-3
Oh I know it well. I got a 99 silver SL500.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Cruisin' Dead?-img_1593.jpeg  

Old 03-29-2024, 08:15 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Where I live, we have 2 town sanctioned classic car events. One in May and one in October which brings the classics from all over the mid-Atlantic area. Some complain about the noise, but I love it. Everything from rat rods to trailer queens and everything in-between. One of the events is pretty much old school 74 or 72 and earlier but it gets piggybacks to include any classic 25 years old or older as well as more modern customs. The other one is for all customs with a larger slant towards the classics. They both go on for 4 official days (Thurs - Sun) and they're getting big.

I felt bad for some of those not accustomed to coastal areas a few years ago as we had a northeaster during the October event and the downtown, bayside section gets flooded very easily and that flooding isn't all from the heavy rains. I feel I was watching the demise of some of these cars that had survived for 60 plus years as they were crawling through the water. I hope they gave those undercarriages a good fresh water cleaning.

Unfortunately, we had some problems with the offshoots from the H2O crowd for a few years as that turned more into a thug fest of lowlifes who wanted to destroy everything and taunted the police as well. You know its bad when towards the end of the season, when the weather is still good and tourists still come here some of the major restaurants/bars/nightclubs close for the long weekend for "maintenance". They wanted nothing to do with that crowd.

Another large cruising event is for motorcycles and it has grown exponentially as well over the last decade to being a major east coast event attracting named classic rock bands as well as quality cover bands. I'm not big into motorcycles and the noise can get to me but I'll admit, the Harleys sound a hell of a lot better than those rice rockets and I do like looking at the artwork on some of these bikes.

This town also has a Jeep week and a corvette weekend. I know with the Corvettes and at least one of the classic events, the cars will line up and do a slow cruise on our boardwalk (about 2 3/4 miles) and the Ocean City beach opens up for the jeeps on their weekend.

So, this town may not be the cruising strip it was in the 80's when we would go up and down coastal highway all night long picking up groups of girls waiting/hoping for the ones who invite us to the party they're going to but at least the town is open to the large, sponsored events.

There will always be those that complain but they bring tourists/money to the local businesses. They complain about the classic cars as they bring lawn chairs and sit by their cars instead of filling the restaurants/bars but they do have cruisen activities and bands. Most love the motorcycles because they can't take lawn chairs with them, so they fill up the bars/clubs parking lots (are encouraged to with activities and music) and they spend lots of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive