Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 08:00 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times

Advertisements

The autonomous car company Cruise is having some serious trouble. The CEO Kyle Vogt has resigned, following an incident where a woman was critically injured by a Cruise robotaxi. The woman was a pedestrian and was first hit by a human piloted car, and then hit, run over and dragged by the robotaxi. Compounding the situation, the company allegedly withheld information from investigators attempting to look into the accident. "The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) last month suspended Cruise's permits for autonomous vehicle deployment and driverless testing". The company is owned by GM.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...d-ceo-resigns/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 10:31 AM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The autonomous car company Cruise is having some serious trouble. The CEO Kyle Vogt has resigned, following an incident where a woman was critically injured by a Cruise robotaxi. The woman was a pedestrian and was first hit by a human piloted car, and then hit, run over and dragged by the robotaxi. Compounding the situation, the company allegedly withheld information from investigators attempting to look into the accident. "The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) last month suspended Cruise's permits for autonomous vehicle deployment and driverless testing". The company is owned by GM.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...d-ceo-resigns/
I didn't know that company was owned by GM, but I have come across them quite often in Austin TX while doing Uber's and technically.. ..I have to compete with them. They seemed to do 'O.K.' in most situations but a out of the norm situation easily confuddled them. Personally, I believe we are a long way out from Autonomous cars being the norm. Roads are not like Railroads or Airlines which are very standardized in operation. Road conditions can vary greatly even within a specific locality. Cities, Counties and especially states, build and maintain roads differently .. and many cities don't do a great job at maintaining them thus missing lines on the pavement, ect.. ..lets not forget situational awareness and how to handle them.. ..a thoroughly attentive human driver will ALWAYS be better than an Autonomous vehicle, the problem today though is most drivers take driving for granted.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:56 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Chief Product Officer and cofounder Daniel Kan has now also resigned from Cruise.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/cyrusfa...h=468386486e54

I do think these systems will get there eventually, but they are often greatly oversold/hyped by their makers, and given that the capabilities are a matter of life and death, this marketing is particularly reprehensible.

The Tesla system has hurt and killed a lot more people than Cruise has, but Elon Musk has never conceded anything, never apologized even. In fact, he just attacks his customers who are foolish enough to trust the Tesla systems and then get hurt. Somehow this has worked for him.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:16 AM

1,489 posts, read 794,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The Tesla system has hurt and killed a lot more people than Cruise has, but Elon Musk has never conceded anything, never apologized even. In fact, he just attacks his customers who are foolish enough to trust the Tesla systems and then get hurt. Somehow this has worked for him.
As it should. You are told to keep you hands on the steering wheel at all times and to remain alert.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:34 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
I think this is one of the biggest problem Self driving cars face. if I run over grandma with my car, I can get sued. Sure they can sue me for millions, but best they was gonna get is maybe 500k. Sure the settlement could be millions, but there no way I can ever pay that, they are never getting their money. Garnish my wages all you want, you'll never get the full amount.

Now if a Google self driving car runs over grandma, they have deep pockets and can be sued for 10 millions and Google does have the money to pay.

So on the labiality side, i don't see how this business model can ever be profitable.

Old 12-09-2023, 05:22 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Well people way above us with much more at stake than inaccurate internet posts sure seem to think it is a profitable pursuit since they are throwing billions at it. People with track records for making lots and lots of money on profitable risks while shrugging off naysayers.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-09-2023, 12:47 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Well people way above us with much more at stake than inaccurate internet posts sure seem to think it is a profitable pursuit since they are throwing billions at it. People with track records for making lots and lots of money on profitable risks while shrugging off naysayers.
You say this even after the Cruise CEO resigned and the fact that California revoked their license along with their ability to operate the vehicles in San Francisco? as well as the fact that Waymo has not released anything else in the press about deploying robotaxi's since August? Cruise also suspended their operations in Austin TX.

..I'll agree that there is some hyperbole in the press towards them.. ..but its also very apparent that their model is not working out as well as they originally thought it would.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:05 PM

You say this as if every start up in every industry always survives…

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-13-2023, 06:47 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You say this as if every start up in every industry always survives…
You say that like every technology that someone tries to develop works out. Now with Cruise out of the game that leaves just Google-Waymo in the robotaxi business. That's the same Google that spent billions of dollars to develop Google Glass smart glasses. Before they figures out it was a dumb idea and pulled the plug on the program.

The fact is that $160 billion has been spent on self-driving technology in the last 20 years. What is there to show for it? As of now even the best self-driving car performs worse then the worst human driver on the road. I'm including drunk drivers and seniors in that. A drunk or senior driver may very well block a fire truck responding to an emergency. But if the fire truck driver blasts his airhorn long enough the drunk or senior driver will eventually move out of the way. But not a self-driving car. It will just sit there blocking an emergency vehicle, until a human driver from the company headquarters shows up to move it.

Self-driving technology is a dumb idea that can only cause more problems than it solves. And the companies which are trying to promote it, are not even trying to address those problems. They have too much invested to admit that it is not working out for them.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:54 AM

No, I didn’t.

I wrote the second post to highlight that people only actually say what they actually say.

While internet posting requires the reader to create their own fantasy meaning, I don’t have to accept that manner of communication. This is a constant problem in every EV thread.

My self- driving car works great, and has steadily improved because contrary to your odd statement, the people behind it actually do work to improve the system. Another strange consequence of the internet age is people out of the know building a false sense of total knowledge. I learned early on that there is always someone in the room who is smarter than me. The internet did nothing to change that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive