Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 07:37 AM

10,848 posts, read 4,529,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Looked like a $200 uhaul hitch, thin tube metal

uhaul = drawtite which is why I *think* it looked drawtite-ish...but the 2006-present silverados and sierras use a new type of bolting philosophy there the hitch mounts are so far forward that instead of the normal straight crossbar that the receiver tube (it aint a tube, its a square) they moved the receiver tube to the rear, so yea, THAT 'tube' is thin wall and it is bent on a mandrell (not barb - if you get the joke)

this works cuz nothing violates the lateral shearing forces of max TOW rating, and since the thin tube is also attached to the bumper, the up and down forces (tongue) are within limits. when I was raising hitch (truck plus boat) to hook up the spring bars, is when the twist of the weakened metal became evident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 02:45 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
Wow, I always thought the risk of rust through was the body of the vehicle the hitch attaches. I thought the hitches them selves were heavy enough metal to last.
No experience with towing, but I recently bought my first old SUV with any towing ability. It's mostly solid but there is scaly rust that flakes off the frame if you hit it with a a hammer. It all sounds solid when hit. Still haven't towed anything. Towing capacity is limited by low payload capacity.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Wow, I always thought the risk of rust through was the body of the vehicle the hitch attaches. I thought the hitches them selves were heavy enough metal to last.
No experience with towing, but I recently bought my first old SUV with any towing ability. It's mostly solid but there is scaly rust that flakes off the frame if you hit it with a a hammer. It all sounds solid when hit. Still haven't towed anything. Towing capacity is limited by low payload capacity.
The fastest rust-thru is from water, worse salty water sitting. The splash from salted winter roads onto the floorboards is not going to do as much damage as when it finds it's way into the hollow square tubes of the hitch. There is no way for it to drain, so it's sitting there corroding the steel until it evaporates or corrodes through. Another bad spot which most people never see is the floor above the gas tank, and the connections to the tank. When that salt water gets up there it sits a while too. If the fuel pump goes out and they have to drop the tank, they get a bad surprise.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:58 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Good subject, OP.
I'll get out the ol' 2 pound hammer and do a little whacking before I tow anything. My hitch is on a 33 year old truck and is probably 30 years old itself. But we don't use salt and I am far away from the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive