Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 10:32 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,785,757 times

Advertisements

Are dealerships offering decent trade-in values for low mileage cars since the used car market is still higher than pre-covid days? I have a 2018 Audi Q5 with 35k miles on it that I'll trade in with whatever car I buy at a dealership. Normally for a 2018, it should have around 60k miles on it.

Or do you all still go to Carmax or Carvana for a better trade in cash? I'm not going to do private sale as I don't have time for all the stupid texts, calls, scheduling a test drive and nobody comes and all the countless back and forth haggling.

Normally, I keep my cars until 10+ years and 200k miles or over, so it's almost worthless at that time so I usually would just trade it into the dealership and don't care what I get for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 11:03 AM

1,113 posts, read 659,458 times
I doubt that a dealer will EVER be competitive in ANY market. A dealer has the most overhead. Plus their first assumption is that the customer is ignorant, and they go from there. I would just simply get prices from all your options, and you can be done with it in less than a day.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 6,881,512 times
With your VIN and honest disclosure of condition, you can get online quotes on edmunds and kbb for carmax and bunch of other dealers. You can then get quotes from Vroom and Carvana. I will do this one day before the planned purchase/trade in and have the printed quotes in hand. If the dealer matches the quote, then you move fwd, otherwise, call the best offer and go from there.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:41 AM

15,817 posts, read 20,586,820 times
Carmax

After some sketchy interactions with FB marketplace and tons of tire kickers and no-shows, I will gladly take a loss selling to Carmax vs private. Last used car I sold the buyer tried to scam me into refunding money for repairs that didn't exist.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:14 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,020,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Are dealerships offering decent trade-in values for low mileage cars since the used car market is still higher than pre-covid days?

Or do you all still go to Carmax or Carvana.
Have tried them all.

Carmax offered the best price. Multiple times.

You do have to be honest about condition of your car.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:28 AM

21,916 posts, read 25,242,581 times
I'd lean toward Carmax particularly if you've got one nearby where you can get the instant valuation and then drive it down and they can look at it rather than Vroom/Shift or whatever that come out and pick the car up. The offers tend to be a little lower and then people just have this weird idea of what shape their car is in. They'll deduct off for your normal wear and tear like curbed wheels, dents/dings so not uncommon to get a couple grand less if you said it was in excellent condition when it's in average/poor shape. Carmax at least you know that right away rather than waiting a day or two for it to go back to get inspected.

Personally, I've never traded in. I'd probably have done Carmax with the Prius if nobody in immediate friend/family needed it. The insurance payout was about 1,500 more than the Carmax offer I'd got almost a year before though. That's how they stay in business. They buy a used car for 2k less and sell it for 2k more than it's worth.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:59 AM

When I sold two vehicles, I took them both to Carmax and the other guys. Carmax didn't offer the highest price for either.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:39 AM

15,817 posts, read 20,586,820 times
Actually, last vehicle purchase, i went to carmax first and had offer in hand before going to the dealer. I figured i could use it to counter the dealer's lowball offer.

Dealer beat it by $1000 without saying a word. I gave them the car.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Actually, last vehicle purchase, i went to carmax first and had offer in hand before going to the dealer. I figured i could use it to counter the dealer's lowball offer.

That's only a part of the deal you negotiated, so without the rest of the context it doesn't mean much. For example, another dealer might have an ad that says "Push, pull, drag or tow your car in and we'll give you $x,xxx towards the price of a new car."

Old 11-06-2023, 11:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,020,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

At this point. We don't know if there was a trade-in. And price offered was off the MSRP of new car. If so, this is meaningless to this discussion.

If the dealer gave cash for the used car - then state so. Otherwise meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive