Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 08:49 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,003,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
With roll up windows! Bring back the "basic"car!
Got it, right here! I bought an older Chevy for that very reason. It's 'un-loaded'.
Key copies cost a couple dollars but nobody's gonna steal that thing. I leave it unlocked with keys in it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 08:51 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
A key costs a couple of bucks. A push button starter requires a remote costing a couple hundred bucks.
If the battery in the fob dies, you're SOL but a key still works.

Amazingly enough, not everyone believes that every new doohickey or "advancement" actually constitutes an improvement.

30 years ago I could have the keys for two cars and one house on a small ring - three flat brass keys altogether. Now I have to have a separate little ring for each fob, and they take up a lot more space in my pocket. Plus I now have yet another annual maintenance task to pry all six fobs (for our three cars) apart and put new batteries, which was never needed.

Yes, I understand the convenience of being able to lock the car with a button push; I am willing to accept (though I'm not totally convinced) that the new stuff may be more theft-resistant; but I never had the least trouble locking a car by pushing down the little buttons, and between my wife and me with about 102 years combined driving experience we've never had a car stolen or even attempted, so theft prevention really isn't at the top of my priority list.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:02 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

Amazingly enough, not everyone believes that every new doohickey or "advancement" actually constitutes an improvement.

30 years ago I could have the keys for two cars and one house on a small ring - three flat brass keys altogether. Now I have to have a separate little ring for each fob, and they take up a lot more space in my pocket. Plus I now have yet another annual maintenance task to pry all six fobs (for our three cars) apart and put new batteries, which was never needed.

Yes, I understand the convenience of being able to lock the car with a button push; I am willing to accept (though I'm not totally convinced) that the new stuff may be more theft-resistant; but I never had the least trouble locking a car by pushing down the little buttons, and between my wife and me with about 102 years combined driving experience we've never had a car stolen or even attempted, so theft prevention really isn't at the top of my priority list.
If the battery is dying, you know as it will work only intermittently. Most FOB's have a key inside them to open the door with and if you hold the FOB up close to the steering column, it should start. Now if you ignore the signs, it's on you for doing so.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:35 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
I love my 08 CR-V.
It has a key and no one wants to steal it.

It also has this switch, where you can adjust the rear view mirrors without rolling down the window!.... YEAH!
My 90 GMC pickup doesn't have that.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:28 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
What brand car do you drive that doesnt have a key in the fob? My last couple cars with push button all had keys inside the fob that could be pulled out. I thought most of those did that so that a driver is NOT SOL.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:44 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:

Plus I now have yet another annual maintenance task to pry all six fobs (for our three cars) apart and put new batteries, which was never needed.

Ok, you are wrong on both concerns.

1. If my GMC Yukon has a dead key, you insert it in the center console and it will start even if the battery is dead/missing whatever. BMW tells you to position the dead key near the dash and it will recognize/car will start.

2. I've had about a dozen fob operated vehicles and only ONE needed a battery in less than 4-5 years. it was a Porsche 911 and if the keys were stored too close to the vehicle it would kill the fob battery in a few months. The fob was always "blinking" even if the keys were on the kitchen counter, car was in the garage on the other side of the wall. New house/different 911 and its not an issue, garage is 60+ feet away from the kitchen. The Yukon mentioned above is 5 yrs old and one fob still has the original battery, the other made it to about the 4 yr mark.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
A key costs a couple of bucks. A push button starter requires a remote costing a couple hundred bucks.
Most cars for the last two decades have chips imbedded, so no longer are keys a couple of bucks.

FYI, We have a 2019 Crosstrek Premium with manual transmission and a key start, not push button. The key has a transponder embedded in it, so quite costly to replace.

Old 11-03-2023, 08:04 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
A) That's why they give you 2. I actually bought a 3rd on eBay for $100.

B) Most cars that do come with keys also have a chip in the key that the car will recognize as belonging to it. Another anti theft measure. No key is 'a couple of bucks' on any car made in the last 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Key copies cost a couple dollars
Again, no they don't. It's not 1995 anymore.

Quote:
As already stated, untrue. My Mazda battery could be dead completely if I somehow missed the 3 weeks of it telling me it needs replaced. I just hold it next to the push button and it will start the car. Batteries lasted 5 years before I needed to replace.

Quote:
Amazingly, a lot of these things actually do improve our lives!
Quote:

30 years ago I could have the keys for two cars and one house on a small ring - three flat brass keys altogether.
Today I don't even NEED a house key. I have pin code locks on every door. My wife doesn't need a house key and just keeps a car key in her purse. Never needs to remove it. All I need to carry is one key fob. LOVE IT.
Quote:

Now I have to have a separate little ring for each fob, and they take up a lot more space in my pocket.
I have no rings on my fobs, again, because I don't need house keys. I do not miss a pocket full of keys stabbing me.

Quote:
Plus I now have yet another annual maintenance task to pry all six fobs (for our three cars) apart and put new batteries, which was never needed.
That's just you being terrified that your battery will die on you with no warning. Annually? ALL 3 of my cars have batteries in fobs and they last MINIMUM 5 years. Well, not sure about the newest one because I only just bought it. But I'll bet it goes at least 3 years.

Quote:
I never had the least trouble locking a car by pushing down the little buttons, and between my wife and me with about 102 years combined driving experience we've never had a car stolen or even attempted, so theft prevention really isn't at the top of my priority list.
Actually agree with those. Not on my list at all. But again, keys have chips today too, so they ain't all that cheap.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:26 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Amazingly, a lot of these things actually do improve our lives!

Today I don't even NEED a house key. I have pin code locks on every door. My wife doesn't need a house key and just keeps a car key in her purse. Never needs to remove it. All I need to carry is one key fob. LOVE IT.

I have no rings on my fobs, again, because I don't need house keys. I do not miss a pocket full of keys stabbing me.
I have a car with a pair of keys - the doors use one key and the ignition is different! Pretty normal until the 70s. But yeah, progress is bad

I'm stuck with a lot of keys. My RI office and car use a fob. But my MA office has a suite door and a street door key AND a bathroom key!

Old 11-03-2023, 02:15 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I have a car with a pair of keys - the doors use one key and the ignition is different! Pretty normal until the 70s. But yeah, progress is bad

I remember those days too, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive