Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 12:52 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,792,420 times

Advertisements

I need a super-long lasting (10+ years, 250k miles) vehicle that I want to buy new, but as you guys know, that's hard to do these days with complicated vehicles and hard to service just anywhere. I was thinking the 2010-2023 Lexus GX460 (new one coming for 2024 model year) as that has the tried and true V8 engine and 6-speed automatic, and the rest of the parts of the car are reliable.

Also, getting a new 4runner before the 2025 4runner comes out as that thing is bulletproof also. Any other vehicles?

Am I making a mistake by buying these vehicles with "old" technology? On the other hand, I know I will get a vehicle that will easily make it to 10 years with minimal fuss and you don't need a rocket scientist to work on them - meaning I don't always have to go to the dealership for maintenance/repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 01:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,785 posts, read 58,251,797 times
You could have an issue sourcing electronic components (such as ECU or other master brains)
Plastic fittings and parts (especially those subjected to heat cycles (such as cooling hoses, thermostat housings, intake assembly)

Over 10 yrs, even name brand stuff is not supported.

Thought... Something that there are a TON of in junkyards / on the road, and cheap to buy a replacement / parts vehicle (such as a minivan)

Otherwise.... go
pre-electronics... (That could be a ways back, depending on manf)

I prefer my mechanical diesel power plants. No brains (or ignition system / sparkplugs) required
50 mpg and 500k service life is just a bonus. Same engine and tranny bolts into all models 1975-1999.5. Including pickups, vans, wagons, sedans, sport hatch.

Fresh filters annually (including fuel)
Get in and GO.

Quote:
I need a super-long lasting (10+ years, 250k miles) vehicle that I want to buy new,
I think you have a lot of 'new' choices currently available that will deliver what you ask for.
Subaru, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, MB

I've even seen Dodge minivans recently FS with 300k <5 yrs ... used as commercial delivery / carpool / ride share.

New stuff can rack up the miles, just keep it out of the weather (especially heat), and get rid of it when the first plastic part breaks (7-10 yrs).

Old 10-28-2023, 02:17 PM

1,212 posts, read 739,083 times
Maintain a car older than 10 years for many years into the future ?

Chevrolet Corvette, Pontiac Solstice, and Lotus Elise or Evora have strong frames not hurt by high mileage.

Compare to ordinary automotive construction whereby a sheet-metal floorpan is twirled-up on the sides to make rocker-panels, a K-frame for engine and front suspension is bolted to the front of the floorpan, and the rear suspension mounting points are just plated on the floorpan

Last edited by T Block; 10-28-2023 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-28-2023, 02:30 PM

20,307 posts, read 37,269,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I need a super-long lasting (10+ years, 250k miles) vehicle that I want to buy new, but as you guys know, that's hard to do these days with complicated vehicles and hard to service just anywhere. I was thinking the 2010-2023 Lexus GX460 (new one coming for 2024 model year) as that has the tried and true V8 engine and 6-speed automatic, and the rest of the parts of the car are reliable.

Also, getting a new 4runner before the 2025 4runner comes out as that thing is bulletproof also. Any other vehicles?

Am I making a mistake by buying these vehicles with "old" technology? On the other hand, I know I will get a vehicle that will easily make it to 10 years with minimal fuss and you don't need a rocket scientist to work on them - meaning I don't always have to go to the dealership for maintenance/repairs.
You are on the right track about these two vehicles.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You could have an issue sourcing electronic components (such as ECU or other master brains)
Plastic fittings and parts (especially those subjected to heat cycles (such as cooling hoses, thermostat housings, intake assembly)

Over 10 yrs, even name brand stuff is not supported.

Thought... Something that there are a TON of in junkyards / on the road, and cheap to buy a replacement / parts vehicle (such as a minivan)

Otherwise.... go
pre-electronics... (That could be a ways back, depending on manf)

I prefer my mechanical diesel power plants. No brains (or ignition system / sparkplugs) required
50 mpg and 500k service life is just a bonus. Same engine and tranny bolts into all models 1975-1999.5. Including pickups, vans, wagons, sedans, sport hatch.

Fresh filters annually (including fuel)
Get in and GO.

I think you have a lot of 'new' choices currently available that will deliver what you ask for.
Subaru, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, MB

I've even seen Dodge minivans recently FS with 300k <5 yrs ... used as commercial delivery / carpool / ride share.

New stuff can rack up the miles, just keep it out of the weather (especially heat), and get rid of it when the first plastic part breaks (7-10 yrs).

Yep, though I figured even with mostly usual mechanical parts in the GX460 and 4runner, I would still be able to find parts after 10 years. I know it won't be Toyota parts. The engineering on these vehicles is also decent.

For example, on the 2018 Audi Q5, you cannot even replace the taillight bulbs in a simple manner. Requires hours of labor work.

Old 11-02-2023, 10:48 AM

1,506 posts, read 809,423 times
Jeep Wrangler.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:27 PM

4,614 posts, read 2,753,519 times
1963 Chevrolet half-ton pickup from a southern state.

Go through it with a fine tooth comb, freshly rebuilt V8 engine, three or four speed manual transmission, air conditioning system from Vintage Air.

Should be good for 50 years.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:51 PM

10,563 posts, read 7,095,916 times
Quote:

People always make the mistake that newer = better, and that couldn't be further from the truth for cars.

I'd add Tacoma on your list too before they are made in Mexico and cheapened in next years model. The Land Cruiser is expensive and doesn't have frills but its designed to last 30 years. Actually the new Land Cruiser coming out looks amazing and there are two front ends you can choose with circle or square headlight (I haven't seen an automaker do this before and its awesome!)

Some automakers have cars that they just make better than all the other vehicles they make. Corvette, Nissan Z, Mustang, Wrangler really should all make it to 250k miles.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
People always make the mistake that newer = better, and that couldn't be further from the truth for cars.

I'd add Tacoma on your list too before they are made in Mexico and cheapened in next years model. The Land Cruiser is expensive and doesn't have frills but its designed to last 30 years. Actually the new Land Cruiser coming out looks amazing and there are two front ends you can choose with circle or square headlight (I haven't seen an automaker do this before and its awesome!)

Some automakers have cars that they just make better than all the other vehicles they make. Corvette, Nissan Z, Mustang, Wrangler really should all make it to 250k miles.

Yep, I think I've gotten past the "old technology" argument. It's better to go with the tried and true technology, like many of the Toyota products.

Not sure about the Wrangler - they definitely are easy to repair, anyone can work on them and holds their value very well - but they have more issues that pop up more frequently than Toyota/Lexus.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,785 posts, read 58,251,797 times
Quote:
Yep, I think I've gotten past the "old technology" argument. It's better to go with the tried and true technology, like many of the Toyota products.

(Except air bags, sticky throttles, and CVT's)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive