Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 08:31 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

More often than not you can't find the vehicle you want on dealer lots. I hear people ordering new cars from the factory but I am not sure how that works. Do you walk in the dealer and say put me down for a 2024 Forerunner, pay $500 and all is taken care of? Do they even have such a process or is it brand-dependent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 08:45 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Not so true anymore, getting back to more normal inventory depending on brand.

But yes, you go down to a dealer, pick exactly what trim/options, haggle over price, maybe put down a deposit or not, critical part is sign a purchase agreement. Factory orders are nothing new, but you get better deals picking from one of the lot rot than doing a factory order on future allocations.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:52 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
It is manufacturer dependent especially right now. You will have to put down a deposit and order based on their parameters - you can't add and delete items that aren't offered individually.

Some automakers you can walk in, order the vehicle as you want it, and wait a few weeks/months until it comes in.

If the automaker has filled it's production capacity (Maverick, Hummer EV, etc.), the dealer takes your name and puts in your order when they have allocation available.

With some automakers (I'm looking at you Toyota), the dealer is at the whim of what's in pipeline. They can search for what you are looking for and try to get it.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:54 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
I went to the dealer with my online configuration, we did the official order paperwork and put down a deposit. 2 months later, we picked up our car (followed the allocation to build date, then from build date to shipping, then to the dealer).

Old 10-17-2023, 09:22 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I went to the dealer with my online configuration, we did the official order paperwork and put down a deposit. 2 months later, we picked up our car (followed the allocation to build date, then from build date to shipping, then to the dealer).
This is the right answer. Start at the manufacturer website and build the car you want, then you can take the build sheet to the dealer and work out a deal and pay for it. Most of the time I think it will automatically send it to the dealer you choose on the website.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:26 AM

6,744 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Last February we were looking for a new RAV4 and there were none in stock anywhere. A local dealer had some on order and I called the sales manager, worked out a price, paid a deposit, and that was it. About 6 weeks later we took delivery. Easiest car deal I ever made and didn't pay a nickel over list where other dealers were asking $3-5 over for used ones.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:29 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Easiest car deal I ever made and didn't pay a nickel over list where other dealers were asking $3-5 over for used ones.

This was another point for ordering. When we ordered back in November, the cars on the lot had $5k+ markups and no dealers were budging. But by ordering it, we paid MSRP (yes in the old days that would have been a bad deal, but with used cars priced higher than new cars AND new cars all seeming to have silly markups, MSRP is a deal)

Old 10-17-2023, 09:29 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I'm pretty sure this is still a thing at every dealer regardless of current stock levels. If you walk in and they have the EXACT car you want on the lot, but you still want to order one...they'll order it.

Old 10-17-2023, 11:15 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm pretty sure this is still a thing at every dealer regardless of current stock levels. If you walk in and they have the EXACT car you want on the lot, but you still want to order one...they'll order it.

LOL, that reminds me of the old Seinfield bit about the rental car reservation.

Sure the dealer can take your order, weather or not you actually ever get it, good luck!

Old 10-17-2023, 11:32 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
This is the right answer. Start at the manufacturer website and build the car you want, then you can take the build sheet to the dealer and work out a deal and pay for it. Most of the time I think it will automatically send it to the dealer you choose on the website.

I just ordered an F250. First time I have ever ordered a vehicle. Usually the dealer wants you to buy out of their stock but they didn't have what I wanted.

I went to Ford's website and "built" my truck. When I hit submit it pulled up our local dealer and sent the order to them. I few phone calls and emails with a salesman and I got an order confirmation emailed to me. They didn't make me put down a deposit but are charging a "market adjustment" fee. They are quite confident that when the truck comes in, that if I were to back out, they will easily find another buyer.

Six to nine months but that was before the UAW strikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive