Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 12:38 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I was always told it attacks the paint, dries out the oils in the finish.

I googled the question:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shou...8&inm=vs#tts=0

Virtually no one recommends it. Consensus is that it will strip wax, but about a dozen different explanations of why it can also damage the finish.
Since many good car wash formulations remove wax, albeit less agressively, theres little reason to do it.

Dawn will not dry out the oils in the paint. The paint is cured and Dawn won't hurt it. Using Dawn as the only car wash isn't recommended because it will remove any types of sealants, waxes, protectants. If it's used all the time, the paint will become damaged since there's no wax/sealer on it.

Since it works as a degreaser, Dawn is perfect for the home detailer who will be doing an exterior detail a couple of times per year. Most aren't willing to pay $20 for a concentrated bottle of degreaser they'll use so little and Dawn is usually sitting around the house. A quick squirt in a bucket filled with warm water and you're good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 02:24 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I haven't used wax in over 20 years at least. In fact the last time anyone used wax in our house was my son to shine up his tractor for a parade. I'm surprised I still had it my shop cabinet. Mothers Original. He scraped off the top crusty layer then applied it to his tractor. I live a few miles off a dirt road. I travel dirt roads. I go to the carwash once a month basically to get the undercarriage free of excess mud. If the weather is nice I'll use my pressure washer. No soap.

He won 1st.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:26 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times
I haven't waxed a car in 24 years. Back in my high school days, I would wash my car once a week and do the whole 3-step Meguiar's wax with an 8" random orbit polisher (still have it). Life got busier, developed an affinity for white cars (hides the dirt and swirl marks), and got use to just hosing the filth off the car with a basic nozzle sprayer.

Now that our 10 year old cars are pretty much stripped of wax and I have more time now, I've been using a foam cannon with our pressure washer and developing a little love for good car hygiene. Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I picked up a Griot's Garage G9 polisher, some compound polish, clay mitt, some microfiber cloths, and I'm going to give that new Turtle Wax Hybrid spray wax with Graphene a try.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:24 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
Wax on, wax off, just like the Karate Kid, once a year with Nu Finish car wax in the orange bottle. It lasts about a year. First I use a toothpick to pick off any peeling/bubbling clearcoat, touch up paint where necessary, wash, dry and wax. I buy round waxing sponges to apply, and a couple old T shirts to remove within 30 minutes. Best done in the shade or on a cloudy 70 degree day with low humidity. better to buy the liquid bottle and not the paste can type, as the paste type has a short shelf life after it is opened, but the bottle will keep for a year if you have some left over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive