Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 08:01 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Current temperature is 95 degrees (35 Celsius), 52% humidity, and heat index of 108 (42 Celsius). Roads here are in bad condition.

I would probably lean closer to 6 years in that case, vs 10 years.

Really it's a case by case basis. I would feel more comfortable driving longer on a car driven around town at sub-50MPH speeds, vs a car which does a lot of highway cruising at 80-85MPH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 11:58 AM

25,615 posts, read 17,355,583 times
Mine are nitrogen filled and I rarely take it out on the highway. Reportedly, nitrogen makes a big difference.
I'll go at least 10 years.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:32 PM

10,583 posts, read 7,808,293 times
10-15 years should be fine provided they pass a visual inspection.

I've seen tires last far longer than that, even in the warm and humid climate of Hawaii.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:00 PM

3,284 posts, read 1,707,712 times
If you don't drive much keep the car garaged. The longer it sits outside the weather and sun will wear it out even if it doesn't get driven the rubber will lose structure.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Mine are nitrogen filled and I rarely take it out on the highway. Reportedly, nitrogen makes a big difference.
It does not. Yes, oxygen does react with rubber but you can't do anything about the oxygen on the outside of the tire so the reactive process continues regardless. If anything, it's more intense on the exterior due to more exposure to heat/cold, UV and moisture in addition to the oxygen reactions. Exterior environmental conditions would likely play a larger role than removing the 20% oxygen inside.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-26-2023 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-27-2023, 07:47 AM

2,022 posts, read 3,531,893 times
I wouldn't push a set of tires past 10 years. I had a 20 year old hand-me-down pickup with original tires, and the tread separated from the tire as I was driving down the road one day. Caused some body damage but luckily didn't make me wreck. I've also heard a mechanic tell someone they wouldn't test drive their car because the tires were too old. Come back when you get a new set.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:01 AM

10,583 posts, read 7,808,293 times
It's interesting that on this website discussing tire blowout statistics, nowhere is the age of tire mentioned. Underinflation looks to be the primary cause. https://www.utires.com/articles/tire...ut-statistics/

"..
Check your tire pressure at least once per month, and especially before a long trip. Use the manufacturer’s recommended tire pressure, listed on the sticker of your vehicle’s door jamb or owner’s manual or on your tires’ sidewalls, as a guide.

Check your tire tread regularly. You can check your tread easily using a penny: If Lincoln’s head is inside the tread, you’re probably OK, but if you can see his entire head, it’s time for new tires. This can work with a quarter, too. You can also use a depth gauge, which you can get at your auto parts store for $3 to $8. The reading should be above 2/32 of an inch.

Make sure you do not overload your vehicle. Check the manufacturer’s load recommendation, which can be found on the vehicle information placard inside the driver’s side door post, or in the vehicle owners’ manual.

Rotate your tires regularly (see above).

Check your alignment to be sure the car isn’t pulling to one side, which can cause uneven tread and sidewall wear, and put extra stress on your tires.

Have your tire balance checked periodically. If your wheel assembly isn’t properly balanced, it can create uneven wear.
Inspect your tires visually for signs of deterioration, such as a tear in the sidewall or blisters, which can be created by overheating and cause chunks of rubber to come loose from the tread..."

Old 06-27-2023, 10:05 AM

2,022 posts, read 3,531,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It's interesting that on this website discussing tire blowout statistics, nowhere is the age of tire mentioned.
Probably because 98% of people will replace their tires due to wear long before age becomes an issue. Age will be more of an issue with collector cars or the occasional weekend driver. I have a weekend car I put maybe 3K miles a year on, so I didn't replace my set until 9 years.

Here's an interesting article from Edmunds on tire age:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...our-tires.html

Old 06-28-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Probably because 98% of people will replace their tires due to wear long before age becomes an issue.
Agreed. Vast majority of people will wear the tires out, or physically damage them in some other way before age comes into play.

Average is around 10-15K miles per year. So if you slapped a set of new tires on, they would have roughly 60-90K miles on them by the time they are aging out assuming they wear perfectly and evenly. I would venture to guess most folks aren't getting that sort of mileage. Alignment issues, lack or rotation, physical damage, and other wear and tear probably necessitate replacement long before age comes into play. Cars that aren't driven much and therefore do have tires that are considered too old, are likely not statistically significant enough.

Putting age aside, underinflation is a HUGE concern as well so not surprised to see that as the leading cause of tire issues. Even with mandated TPMS systems on board, it continues to be an issue.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:36 AM

17,649 posts, read 17,756,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Agreed. Vast majority of people will wear the tires out, or physically damage them in some other way before age comes into play.

Average is around 10-15K miles per year. So if you slapped a set of new tires on, they would have roughly 60-90K miles on them by the time they are aging out assuming they wear perfectly and evenly. I would venture to guess most folks aren't getting that sort of mileage. Alignment issues, lack or rotation, physical damage, and other wear and tear probably necessitate replacement long before age comes into play. Cars that aren't driven much and therefore do have tires that are considered too old, are likely not statistically significant enough.

Putting age aside, underinflation is a HUGE concern as well so not surprised to see that as the leading cause of tire issues. Even with mandated TPMS systems on board, it continues to be an issue.
Not long ago there was a local news story about a fatal accident involving a blow out from old tires. Sadly there are shops that sell and install used or retired tires and they regularly get customers because some people can’t afford the price of new tires. Locally such shops are located near the lowest income areas of the city. I would rather buy the lowest quality new tire than trust tires from these shops. From a road safety standpoint I don’t believe such tires should be legal to sell. These larger tires (in width and diameter) are just too expensive to buy new for some customers. Gone are the days of diameters of 13”, 14”, and 15” tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive