Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 03:37 PM

64 posts, read 213,842 times

Advertisements

This is for my 2008 Volvo S40. I noticed I had just hit 160,000 miles and about 5 miles after that into my drive the check engine light came on. It's not blinking, just bold. So I went to an Autozone. The code came up on their side as "PO420", that's all he told me.

I called my independent mechanic who is pretty trust-worthy I believe. I told them the code and they said it's the catalytic converter that's needing to be replaced...$800 for the part and roughly $150 in labor so about $1000 in total with tax. They said it wasn't urgent because my emissions isn't due for another 6 months but I wouldn't want to wait on it because something could burn up? Couldn't remember what they said. They said I'm still fine driving the car with no problems and could just wait to do it when I get my next oil change with them in 2,000 miles. I was going to take it to them in the morning to get it fixed but all their spots are booked. I called my old mechanic back in CA that only works with Volvos and he agreed with the assessment. He said when he gets this code, he just replaces the catalytic converter and that it's more than $1000 out there. He also agreed with my local mechanic that I'm fine driving it and just to get the catalytic converter replaced before my emissions test but until then there is no concern driving it.

The one issue my car has been having was a couple weeks back the car wouldn't start up and read a display message of "Immobilizer Try Start Again". I tried starting the car up 3-4 times after that with no luck but then my wife accidentally slammed the glove compartment shut. After that, it started up just fine and I haven't had any problems with it since. I've heard something down under the glove compartment could get loose and cause that problem until you re-attach it. My wife hit a pothole the day before she told me so maybe that caused it. But I brought this up to my mechanic and they said this wouldn't have anything to do with the "P0420" code. The only other issue besides that is maybe low acceleration but maybe it's always been like that and it's in my head.

The reason I ask all this is because I was hoping to drive 214 miles down and back to my out of state family's house (428 in total) this weekend for the holidays but a little nervous since my mechanic can't get me in. So I just want to make sure I can believe them about I'm fine driving with the check engine light on and this P0420 code for this trip and after that until I can go into see them. And how urgently I should get in to see them...if I'm ok waiting the 2000 miles.

Thanks! (Also on a sidenote, I know little to nothing about cars in general).

Last edited by jagsfan05; 12-20-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 03:55 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Dont worry! It can be driven indefinitely. It reduces air pollution. Basically, if it's clogged, fix it. If the efficiency of it is gone, don't worry about it unless you live in an area that checks emissions. It affects no sensor that's actually relevant to the engine.
A plugged catalytic converter will only in extreme cases prevent you from driving your car. You can usually drive your car indefinitely with a partially plugged converter, though you will see a drop in performance.
I had it in my car and drove for years without fixing.

The cost of replacement estimated by your mechanic, I think, it's pretty affordable..
https://carbrain.com/Blog/catalytic-...placement-cost

Old 12-20-2018, 04:02 PM

Thanks for your reply! But in terms of if I'm safe driving it until I can see my mechanic...that's the problem...I don't know how badly clogged or not it is at this point? Like I don't know how bad it is...it just came on two days ago. And you looked at the other warning signs my car has been showing and don't think that should put any more fear in regards to this issue being related? And also, you said "if it's clogged fix it.." but my mechanic who I feel is pretty trust-worthy and gets amazing reviews didn't seem to just say they will replace it only if it's clogged. Giving them the code they just seemed pretty certain it would need replacing?

And in regards to emissions, I live in TN so I think they do (haven't lived here long). I'm just hoping my AutoZone guy gave me the right reading and that there wasn't more codes listed besides that! He didn't mention any.

I'm a worryer lol.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Yes. You are safe. It's just for the environment.
Enjoy the drive and don't worry about. Ask your mechanic to disable the engine light. It's annoying...
Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
That code could also be caused by a bad O2 sensor. Usually it's the one behind the cat that throws to code (depending on your vehicle of course).

Those are much easier and cheaper to replace, usually just a 7/8th's wrench is all you need. Well, that and some PB Blaster.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:09 PM

After you come back, have a smog check ( emission check) done. If you pass the check, that means your O2 sensor is malfunctioning. No need to replace the converter.
Your trustfully mechanic should tell you that

Old 12-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Thanks a lot! You mean ask them to disable the engine light before I go on my trip or when I actually take it in for the main repair? They mentioned they had time tomorrow morning only to try resetting check engine light but also said it would probably just come right back up (they don't have time tomorrow to fit me in to do the repair).

Is there any difference in driving with the check engine light on for this code or do I need to have it reset/cleared in order for the driving to be safe that you mentioned? Because if the check engine light being on makes no difference I might not go by their shop tomorrow morning in order for them only to "reset" the check engine light.

Also, how long do you think I have until I need to get this fixed? Is the 2000 miles until my oil change too long of a wait?

I tried bringing up the O2 sensor ideas only needing to be replaced to my mechanic because I also read that online but they wouldn't listen much to my ideas because they said if they change them out it might not be the right ones and then I'm spending even more money trying to guess which sensor to change. They said they are $250 each. So they said just replacing the whole catalytic converter is probably what needs to be done and better option because that includes the O2 sensors as well or something? This local mechanic again seems pretty trust worthy and has amazing reviews online...they specialize only in European cars. My CA mechanic said the same thing. Again I don't know much anything about cars.

Thank you for your help!

Old 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Like I said. Do the emission check first. If you pass, it means your mechanic wants the big job for the money.

Last edited by elnina; 12-20-2018 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 04:18 PM

Ok thank you I may or may not do that. I might just get it replaced and be done with all this hassle. It's so hard to know who to trust and who to listen to when you don't know a ton about cars. I'm not really sure how to do an emissions test by itself without doing the yearly renewal registration. And again they said if it was the O2 sensor as the problem it would have brought up a different code than P0420. Plus they mentioned in this case with the P0420 code they wouldn't know which 02 sensor to replace and I could pay even more money with them trying to guess at it. Also, do you mind answering these other questions I brought up in my last post?

"You mean ask them to disable the engine light before I go on my trip or when I actually take it in for the main repair? They mentioned they had time tomorrow morning only to try resetting check engine light but also said it would probably just come right back up (they don't have time tomorrow to fit me in to do the repair).

Is there any difference in driving with the check engine light on for this code or do I need to have it reset/cleared in order for the driving to be safe that you mentioned? Because if the check engine light being on makes no difference I might not go by their shop tomorrow morning in order for them only to "reset" the check engine light.

Also, how long do you think I have until I need to get this fixed? Is the 2000 miles until my oil change too long of a wait?"

Old 12-20-2018, 04:26 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FDXAmj5-hY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive