Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:45 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,372 times

Advertisements

So how do decide what car you want to buy when more than one car catches your eye?

I test drove a bunch of cars today and at least I narrowed things down to two, but I can't decide between the two. This is the first time this has happened to me. Then again, it's only the second time I've ever bought a new car and last time, I knew exactly what I wanted and only one car offered it (now I have two cars offering what I want).

I've managed to whittle down a long list of cars to the Chevy Cruze hatchback Premier and the Mazda 3 hatchback Grand Touring.

When I compare the two cars, they are almost identical: ratings, reliability, size, options, price, etc, etc.

They only way they differ was when I test drove them. The Mazda was peppier and felt more solid like it hugged the road... but the Chevy interior was much nicer, more comfortable, and more intuitive and it road more smoothly. Basically the Mazada has better handling and was sporty, but the Chevy has better comfort and luxury. I really like both cars!

The Chevy is a little more expensive, but I get a discount on it that brings it back down to the Mazda price. So it's a wash. So how to decide? I like both on paper, I like both on the test drive, both manufacturers have cars in my area that have everything I want. But I only need one car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 06:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
if you are talking about new cars, then head to your local rent a car place, and rent each car for a week. drive it like you would if you owned the car, and see which one you can live with best.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:57 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Like you said "Basically the Mazada has better handling and was sporty, but the Chevy has better comfort and luxury."

You just have to decide what is more important to you. To me driving dynamics are more important then creature comforts. Then again, I got a GTI and I have the best of both worlds.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
First of all, let me say "Thank You" for not being a certain poster, and asking our opinion about which new beater he should buy.

Second, if this is your only car, I'd personally go with the car you think is going to give you the most usability, day in and day out. If you put a premium on sportiness and fun to drive, choose the Mazda. If comfort is more important to you, choose the Cruze.

However, when you look at the fine print, the Mazda offers benefits the Cruze does not. It has the larger engine, with more horsepower, yet is still rated better in fuel economy.

Read this comparison, you may decide you like one of the other cars even better or had not considered them at all before. The Big Test: 2016/2017 Compact Sedans - Motor Trend

Old 03-04-2017, 07:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
CR just top rated the Cruze.
But the choice may depend more on how you intend to use it.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
That is a tough decision. I would go for sporty and better handling, but if you do a fair amount of long trips, go for comfort. Is there much difference in how comfortable the seat is for you? It's hard to tell on a short test drive, but that can make a big difference on a trip of 3+ hours.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,372 times
I couldn't rep everyone because I gave rep too recently to some of you... but thank you to you all!

There were soon good ideas and advice here that I could follow through on (it sure beats eeny meanie miney more).

Funny thing was I went to two Chevy dealerships today (the salesman at the first was less than helpful so I went to another one). When he tried to press the sale and I told him I wanted to think about things he said, "don't wait too long! This is the first year Chevy is selling the hatchback and they might not offer it again. They could all sell out" My thought was, "well, if that happens that solves my dilemma!" Lol

Old 03-04-2017, 09:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
They could all sell out... that's a funny joke.
They'll make more!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:27 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
I haven't driven the newest Mazda 3 model. But my daughter had a 2005 model. Although she really like it, and its handling was superb, I felt the ride was to stiff and choppy for me. Check that out.

Which do you prefer, handling or ride comfort. If comfort, go the the Chevy. If handling, Mazda is your choice.

One other thing. My guess is that 5 years from now, the Mazda will have less depreciation.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:38 AM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
The only really useful suggestion is from rbohm.
Rent each model and drive for few days. Things starts showing themselves then fast - and furious. Like in my case, Mazda 7 seat killed circulation in my thighs in about an hour. That's why when I go to corporate meeting, 742 miles one way, I rent a new car and drive. Amazing how much you learn in that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive