Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 03:54 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times

Advertisements

Try living in a college town where lots of people do lots of walking. Same with bicyclists in my town. They blow through stop signs although law requires they stop. Cheered to myself one night when I saw the police had pulled over a bicyclist near the same stop I know they typically blow right through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:28 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
A Physics teacher who failed real world physics.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:31 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I thought it was just the cerebrally challenged pedestrians in Chicago that did this. They just walk right out into the street regardless of traffic and dare you to hit them.

No, it is everywhere and has become vastly worse since cell/smart phones and other devices have become the norm. People are tethered to the things to the point of not even looking up as they walk anymore.

Used to think that gag about persons looking down/not paying attention and walking into traffic, onto train tracks or whatever only happened in Bugs Bunny cartoons, but sadly it has become reality.

Cannot tell you how many times have come *this* close to taking out someone who just saunters out into the middle of the street as if they owned the world.

The ones who get me are those who get startled back into reality at the sound of a horn blast, then proceed to flip driver the bird or some other rude gesture. I mean *they* are the ones in the wrong, but that doesn't seem to register.

Have also seen more than a few nasty verbal and or physical incidents where the pedestrian took offence at the honked horn and whacked the offending vehicle (usually on the bonnet) with a hard object. You just don't do that in NYC! *LOL*

Old 01-27-2017, 05:40 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Even worse on a bicycle.

I've nailed maybe half a dozen pedestrians over the years when I was riding more regularly. They jump out from between cars to jaywalk and you slam into them. Happened once or twice a year in college/shortly after. I've come CLOSE in a car. Slammed on the brakes and stopped about five feet short of creaming some idiot who for some inexplicable reason decided to just take off running across a major street red light. Broad daylight and the car I was driving at the time was obnoxiously loud (3" turbo back).

Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
People who step in front of cars in South Florida without looking die. The drivers either cannot stop or will not stop and some times will not stop after running you over.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Get a dash cam, the best way to protect yourself from being liable when you are not at fault.

I had some idiot recently walk right into my car. How much can a person not be paying attention to walk right into a car?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:21 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Have also seen more than a few nasty verbal and or physical incidents where the pedestrian took offence at the honked horn and whacked the offending vehicle (usually on the bonnet) with a hard object. You just don't do that in NYC! *LOL*
Lol, they better be careful they never do it to the wrong driver. I live close to NYC and drive in Manhattan often, and if someone did that to my car, I'd be getting out and confronting them.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:28 PM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's not blinders on; it's intentional. Was walking with a friend one day who did this. He explained that you never look at the cars because if the driver sees you look at them, then the driver knows you've seen him and won't stop. But if the driver thinks you haven't seen the car, then the driver will be the one to stop.

Seemed pretty dumb to me to gamble that the driver will stop, but he was adamant in his belief. Yes, this was in San Francisco.
The Chinese do the same thing on the sidewalk. I think it is cultural. I am so glad we left SF, the pedestrians are so dangerous, walking into the street without looking is crazy, but the norm (there)

Old 01-28-2017, 06:18 AM

364 posts, read 636,055 times
There are a lot of good and interesting points in this thread.

Let's be honest no one nowadays seems to take responsibility for their actions (or very few, own up if you make a mistake). I have seen quite a number of bikers and jaywalkers doing things they shouldn't and close calls. Maybe this time everyone got away unscathed but that may not be the case next time. I do think dashcams are a good idea especially with scammers and people that almost jump out in front of you at the last moment (either cause they don't care or are thinking they will get an insurance payday, or just being an arrogant jerk).

On the other side of the coin I have witnessed some bad drivers too!

Last edited by trckn4life; 01-28-2017 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 AM

5,459 posts, read 6,061,419 times
Guess we are all going to install the old railroad implement, a cowcatcher, on the front of our vehicles.

*[i]I see people under a certain age googling cowcatcher now![/]*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive