Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pick a used car
High mileage 1 1.64%
Newer model year 17 27.87%
One owner 16 26.23%
Well documented service records 30 49.18%
Lowest mileage 34 55.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 02:07 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

I also hit the jackpot on my last car
2008 Town & Country limited (first year of this version with all bells and whistles)
One owner, all recommended maintenance was done
78,000 miles for ..... $12,000

Add to that, that my FIL gave us money to pay part of it, one year later, we only owe $1500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 02:44 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I have purchased a few new cars in my days along with some used. When shopping for used I look for these specifics. Typically in this order:

1. Make/model
2. Low mileage
3. Year of vehicle
4. Vehicle report
5. Gas mileage

I look at safety reports and such before I ever decide on the make and model.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:00 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
When I am shopping, I make a list of 4 cars I feel would make a good buy. In selecting the 4 , i look at reliability, crash worthiness,looks, and price.

So for a used car, i am looking for 4 to 8 Years old, Dealer trade ins from an auction or rental car sales is where i go to purchase.

You will find the best deals from $7500 - $14000 range for something nice.

For me, an fj cruiser , acura rl , honda element, or jeep wrangler all look like good deals right now.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:19 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Since I usually am looking for specific makes and models, service records are what's important to me. For example, when I bought my BMW I was looking specifically for a 2001 740i Sport and looked for the best one I could find, using service records and overall condition as the deciding factors. The next car is going to be a 2002-2005 Jaguar XK8/XKR convertible, so again, I'll be looking for the best overall condition and service records I can find.

Mileage doesn't matter to much to me so long as the common service areas for the model I'm looking at have been addressed.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:25 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
All else equal I tend to gravitate towards lower mileage. However, often all else is not equal.

Most of the used cars I have bought tend to be older and higher mile ones, and not late model cars. I learned long ago, when all else is not equal, the lower mileage car can also be the worst condition, the higher mile the best, depending on how well it has been cared for and maintained.

Ultimately, it is not about one factor over another, but a total evaluation of everything.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Also, buying the last year of a long model run is a good idea.
They have the bugs worked out.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I always get the vehicle that I want. If it is not what I want model, drivetrain, options, I just wait and keep looking. I have no problem driving flying out and driving 1000 miles or more to bring the car home.

Milgeage is not very important, condition is.

I also have several hard and fast rules. I will not buy a car that has been altered, especially not blingy alterations that show the owner does not understand cars/performance, or shows an immature owner/drive (who likely thrashed the car) - like lowering raising, aftermarket spoilers or body moldings/ground effects, BS air filters that supposedly increase performance and MPG but don't, water injection or other gimmicks, tinting, giant wheels or low profile tires, I will never buy a customized car or truck unless I know the person who did the work and I know exactly what they did and used and I know parts are available, even then it is very unlikely I would consider it. I might want the car upgraded, but I want to choose the upgrades and put them in so I know everything is done right, and I know where to get parts or replacements. I usually will not buy a vehicle form anyone under 30. I usually will not buy vehicle that has been run at a track on any kind of regular basis, I will not buy a vehicle that has lived in Florida, The Northeast, Alabama Arkansas or parts of Texas at any time in its life unless I can confirm is was not soaked in a hurricane or flood. Sometimes I will consider salvage title, but only if I can definitively confirm what the damage was and what was done (and never if it was in a flood or hurricane).

Price matters less than being exactly what I want and in great condition. While a phenomenal bargain is wonderful, usually, if I cannot afford a great condition example of exactly what I want, I will wait and save. I would rather drive a year or so in some POS beater the kids are done with, than settle for less than exactly what I am looking for.

Once in a while, like with my current truck, I will gamble and buy a vehicle at an auction if it is really cheap and otehrwise exactly what I am looking for. My truck was $7,000 below market, but I had no idea whether I woudl be able to drive it home until after the sale. I knew it ran and it would move three feet in each direction (all they woudl allow). Turned out ok. It has had some issues, but just normal Dodge disease stuff.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have no problem driving flying out and driving 1000 miles or more to bring the car home.
Ever fly in only to end up walking away from a deal?
I may have to do this in the future due to the rarity of a car I like.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
Last year we got 2 used cars. I never purchased brand new car due to cost & high depreciation. From all the research I did, it seems buying car 2-3 years old will give best bang for your buck. But to be honest, majority of those 2 year old car I saw were rental used before with high mileage. So I decided not to pay attention to year and instead give preference to mileage. For example, my husband got a 2011 car in 2016 while I got a 2014 car in 2016. Both of our cars had same amount of mileage. So my top preferences are

Low mileage

I don't pay attention too much to service but it is a bonus. I don't always get my service done by certified place, so I understand not every service will be on record. But it is a nice bonus if I see one with clean record. Same with single owner. It is a nice bonus but not top priority

Old 01-27-2017, 08:10 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
General overall condition? None of the above is in and of itself. Some cars are old for their age, rode hard and put up wet, despite not being wrecked, old, or having high mileage.

It depends on the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive