Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:55 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times

Advertisements

Had that problem on our 2000 Toyota 4-Runner. We had the tranny filter and oil changed and a complete brake rebuild and rear wheel bearings/seals changed. One of those fixed the shifting problems. The bill was $1800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 03:55 AM

572 posts, read 435,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Tranny mounts or motor mounts.
How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Had that problem on our 2000 Toyota 4-Runner. We had the tranny filter and oil changed and a complete brake rebuild and rear wheel bearings/seals changed. One of those fixed the shifting problems. The bill was $1800.
Your car did very well with that major service!

I wonder if I should put in any Marvel Mystery Oil, or a double shot of SeaFoam TransTune. I have been reading about transmission pressures, how everything in an automatic transmission is based on pressure, and how if something is sticking in there, like a valve body or a piston of some kind actuated by maybe a solenoid or some other some such thing, Internet Mechanic 101, that maybe one of these two things willl promote cleaning the gunk. I have either a drain bolt, or have to do the messy pan remove. I think German cars actually make it easy to drain and fill, not like stupid American cars where you earn yourself a hot ATF shower by having to drop the pan, 20 or so bolts, after moving stuff out the way, re-seal... right?

I'll check the fluid level before I go fussin with it, I've alsp heard the words maybe and praying helps.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Especially if the car seems to shift, but weakly engage from N to R or D and sometimes with a delay.

I am hoping low low fluid (due to a leak) because, beyond that, if new fluid doesn't help it...

Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T, 2006
For a transmission problem I'd first try replacing the fluid and filter. Sometimes the simplest solution works. If it doesn't, you're out about $30.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I only know about thud bangs in the context of SOL.....

That has been my person experience.

Good luck!!!
Unfortunately same here. Usually those sounds mean it's beyond time for a rebuild.

Best of luck with your transmission,hope all goes well!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:34 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
For a transmission problem I'd first try replacing the fluid and filter. Sometimes the simplest solution works. If it doesn't, you're out about $30.
New fluid can make a big difference sometimes. I would put in the suggested amount of transtune, drive it for a couple of days, then drain and fill. This changed my shifts from laggy to quick, but I don't have a VW. Also, in my car low fluid caused similar symptoms, although I would describe them as "delay-big thunk." BANG I have not experienced.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:54 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
As a long time VW owner myself, I would caution you to make sure you use VW-approved fluid. I'd say that to any car owner though regardless of brand. I did something similar to your suggestion 16 years ago to my 2001 Nissan Maxima. Big mistake. Slipped, lurched, a mess. Car was a lease, and I did it towards the end of the lease so just returned it. Nobody noticed.

Bought a 1995 Lexus LS400 with 80k miles. Learned the "drain and fill" approach, which would replace about 2quarts at a time. Did that every oil change at 3k miles and each time noticed a much smoother operation. Absolutely used Toyota T IV fluid (didn't cost all that much more). Replaced that car with 140k miles, and all was silky smooth.

Banging/thumping can be a strong sign of a worn out transmission/motor mount. Do you feel increased vibrations in the car in general? It bangs/thumps because once you're in gear, the torque is pushing against the drive axles (making the car to want to move). That alone makes the engine shift in it's mounts. Once they're worn out, that shifting becomes a "bang/thump" as the engine is hitting the frame.

Before I'd go hunting around in the transmission, I'd make sure your mounts are ok first. Might be a very easy fix. Transmissions are no joke to mess around with if you're not 100% comfortable with them. I consider myself a pretty handy DIY type of guy. I've replaced suspension component, do my own brake jobs, lots of fluid flushes, internal parts, etc. myself. But when it comes to the transmission....I cough up the dough for the dealership to handle. If they get it wrong, I have recourse back to the dealership to fix. If I get it wrong, I'm looking at several hundred (if not thousand) of dollars to repair.

I'd strongly stick with OEM fluids in general. They make a difference, in my opinion. Flashpoints, viscosity ratings, etc... Your transmission is designed to operate within those set parameters that it's specific fluid is designed to provide.

But, in full disclosure, my transmissions in my VW's are the dual-clutch arrangement.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
does it only do it on start up when its cold?

Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
New fluid can make a big difference sometimes. I would put in the suggested amount of transtune, drive it for a couple of days, then drain and fill. This changed my shifts from laggy to quick, but I don't have a VW. Also, in my car low fluid caused similar symptoms, although I would describe them as "delay-big thunk." BANG I have not experienced.
I had an old Chrysler mini-van with a transmission doing that clunk and it would not even move forward in sub-zero weather until I let it warm up.

I changed the fluid and that fixed it. I was able to get another 40K miles out of the beast.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:21 PM

572 posts, read 435,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
does it only do it on start up when its cold?
Yeah. It isn't a loud BANG more like a muffled THUD sometimes.

Trans fluid looked like dark grape juice.

Maybe it's not as bad as I remember.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Get the transmission pressure flushed and new fluid put in. Next, try some transmission fluid conditioner. Two of the cheapest things to try first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive