Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 AM

8,703 posts, read 11,108,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So how is it that GM outsells Toyota significantly in Europe? Are Japanese cars even more unmarketable?
history. Opel, Saab, Vauxhall, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 01:10 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,118,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So how is it that GM outsells Toyota significantly in Europe? Are Japanese cars even more unmarketable?
LOL

I wrote:

Quote:
Typical American cars are practically unmarketable in Europe
The cars that are sold by the GM corporation in Europe are almost entirely Opel cars (or Vauxhall in the UK). GM bought the German Adam Opel AG in 1929. Opel cars are entirely European in design and technique. Designed in Germany and or and the UK and manufactured in Germany, Spain, Poland and the UK.

Claiming that the Opel cars are typical American cars would be as absurd as claiming that Dodge Rams are typical Italian cars.

Car registration figures for 2016 in the EU:

Opel Group: 979,427
Opel/Vauxhall: 976,616
Chevrolet: 2,264
Other GM: 547

GM has withdrawn the Chevrolet brand. The Chevrolet cars they have sold in Europe were rebranded Daewoo cars from Korea or something like this. The 547 GM cars are probably Cadillacs. That are the only typical American cars. Just 547 cars for the whole of the EU.

Market share in the EU:

VW: 23.9%
Renault: 10.2%
PSA: 9.9%
Ford: 7.0% (typical European Fords, produced in Europe)
BMW: 6.7%
Opel: 6.7%
FCA: 6.7%
Daimler: 6.2%
Toyota: 4.2%
Nissan: 3.7%
Hyundai: 3.4%
Kia: 2.9%
Volvo: 1.9%
Mazda: 1.5%
Jaguar / Land Rover: 1.5%
Suzuki: 1.3%
Honda: 1.0%
Mitsubishi: 0.7%
Other Japanese: 0.2%

http://www.acea.be/uploads/news_docu...1612_FINAL.PDF

There are American made cars that are exported from the U.S. to Europe. But those are almost entirely BMW X series from the Spartanburg plant or Mercedes SUV's from the Tuscaloosa plant.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 PM

604 posts, read 655,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think there's plenty of us that would prefer you not call us "folks" as if you are our buddy and you are alerting us to a potential Trump-bashing thread. .

I am the proud owner of an older German luxury vehicle that was made in Germany 25 years ago by a highly skilled German workforce. We use this car nearly daily.

I am not so sure that I should trust angry, anti-Obama rednecks to build the same quality of vehicle that Germans make, especially when the folks in the red states know that the car they are working on is destined (by virtue of all the specific smog-equipment required on the vehicle) to handle vehicles destined for California with loving care and I think there are some rabidly angry workers who might even actually sabotage a car destined for "the liberal West."

So I will look for cars (foreign or domestic) made in Blue States (maybe a Tesla, made here in California) or pick up a car made in Germany that is prepared for California.

I am not interested in the BMW X-3.
wow...someone cannot get over the loosing liberal ideology...

Old 01-19-2017, 04:30 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,480,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Be careful, you might drown the next time it rains.
Oh, that's another thing. One year, when we were looking into some cars that were made in some of the "now red states" back east, there were so many stories of flooded vehicles—brand new vehicles—that it was disheartening (as I am sure it was for the builders and owners of lots of flooded vehicles). It seems to happen on a regular basis, and short of ensuring that one buys a car built during a dry summer, the need to verify that the car being purchased has never been subjected to extremely foul weather and especially flooding (which we have never experienced here where we live, i.e. in TESLA) territory), is an extra step we don't want to have to go through.

Stories like "LOUISIANA FLOODS DAMAGE OVER 100,000 CARS", or "Beware of Flood-Damaged Cars" are a strong concern, as well as sad for those who are affected by it.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ed-cars-196494 is something I don't even want to consider.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 7,261,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
LOL

I wrote:

The cars that are sold by the GM corporation in Europe are almost entirely Opel cars (or Vauxhall in the UK). GM bought the German Adam Opel AG in 1929. Opel cars are entirely European in design and technique. Designed in Germany and or and the UK and manufactured in Germany, Spain, Poland and the UK.

Claiming that the Opel cars are typical American cars would be as absurd as claiming that Dodge Rams are typical Italian cars.

Car registration figures for 2016 in the EU:

Opel Group: 979,427
Opel/Vauxhall: 976,616
Chevrolet: 2,264
Other GM: 547

GM has withdrawn the Chevrolet brand. The Chevrolet cars they have sold in Europe were rebranded Daewoo cars from Korea or something like this. The 547 GM cars are probably Cadillacs. That are the only typical American cars. Just 547 cars for the whole of the EU.

Market share in the EU:

VW: 23.9%
Renault: 10.2%
PSA: 9.9%
Ford: 7.0% (typical European Fords, produced in Europe)
BMW: 6.7%
Opel: 6.7%
FCA: 6.7%
Daimler: 6.2%
Toyota: 4.2%
Nissan: 3.7%
Hyundai: 3.4%
Kia: 2.9%
Volvo: 1.9%
Mazda: 1.5%
Jaguar / Land Rover: 1.5%
Suzuki: 1.3%
Honda: 1.0%
Mitsubishi: 0.7%
Other Japanese: 0.2%

http://www.acea.be/uploads/news_docu...1612_FINAL.PDF

There are American made cars that are exported from the U.S. to Europe. But those are almost entirely BMW X series from the Spartanburg plant or Mercedes SUV's from the Tuscaloosa plant.
I guess you don't realize that most Fords sold in Europe are the exact same vehicles sold in North America. In the mid 2000's, Ford went with a "one world" policy where it made sense. The Fiesta, Focus, Focus/Mondeo, Escape/Kuga, and Edge are the same all over the world with minor tweaks for specific markets.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:18 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,581,942 times
Looks like MY next BMW will NOT be a 3 series . . .

Old 01-19-2017, 06:09 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,613,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I guess the 1.6 billion dollar addition to the BMW plant in Spartanburg NC is unimportant in this democratic line of BS. Or did you just think nobody knew BMW makes cars here? Just more Trump bashing here folks.
It seemed like BMW bashing, to me.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,613,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
yes, but why not BMW build that new factory in the US and employ more Americans... the US is their most critical market I think the negotiations are good. If they charge 29% to import our cars then 35% to import their cars here seems about right.
That's BMW's business decision, not ours.

Besides, it's finishing up an expensive factory. What is it supposed to do...just stop and eat the money it's spent on that already?

Other posters say it's not moving a factory from the U.S., so no American jobs lost.

Adding tariffs to all imports of cars from foreign countries is just going to raise the prices of those cars to Americans. So BMW buyers will have to pay a higher price, and have less money to spend HERE on American products and services. Thereby hurting the American economy.

Trump has figured this out yet, although he's been told by Republicans that that's how that works.

In any case, we'll have to wait and see if tariffs are added to imports of cars from other countries. Trump saying it is one thing, but doing it is quite another. Like saying you're going to repeal Obamacare on Day 1.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
yes, but why not BMW build that new factory in the US and employ more Americans... the US is their most critical market I think the negotiations are good. If they charge 29% to import our cars then 35% to import their cars here seems about right.
If your numbers are correct, it does not seem right that we should charge them more to import their cars than they charge us. If charges are made, then they should be equal. Actually, if you consider that they may export more cars to the U.S. than we export to them, then they should get a bulk discount and therefore pay less to export.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Trump has figured this out yet, although he's been told by Republicans that that's how that works..
I think you must have meant to say that "Trump has not figured this out yet....".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive