Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I have a new 2017 Acura RDX and its timing belt is still ok at 200 miles. I think its supposed to be changed at around 108000 miles. So if I put about 12000 miles per year, it should be good for nine years. I'm 78 years old and in 9 years, I'll be 87 , so it will wear out out about the same time as I do.
Most have a time limit as well (which most people ignore). It's mileage and/or time, so a 5 year/100k belt would need to be replaced at 5 years even if the car has 50k miles.

This is because rubber cracks over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 03:24 PM

423 posts, read 609,529 times
OP: As another post mentioned, easier to narrow down handful of brand/models that you are interested, then check the timing belt/chain on that list.

In my case, I didn't change timing belt and lucked out. I had 2000 Honda Civic for 16 years and 120k miles. Civic had timing belt. Recommended timing belt change is 7 years / 105k miles, if I recall correctly. I never go by years for maintenance, right or wrong, and always go by mileage. The mileage usage was low, as we use it for Monday-Friday commute. By the time car reached 105k, the Civic was over 10 years old. We were just going to replace Civic if something major goes wrong, so we skipped on timing belt change. 6 years later, the Civic is still going strong. But we wanted a bigger car and finally retired the car.

As for the other comment about CVT, I disagree. My new Subaru Forester has CVT. I love it. It is so smooth and quiet. And even though Forester is a bigger vehicle and larger engine, it got better gas mileage than my 2000 Civic. There are many advances for fuel economy in 16 years, and I read CVT also helps on mileage.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:43 PM

759 posts, read 636,308 times
I'm pretty positive my 2015 Challenger 5.7L V8 has a chain... but the non-mechanic in me wants to know... why is a chain that much better than a belt?

I used to own a 2006 PT Cruiser and the kiss of death maintenance for that car was the timing belt change because AFAIK it was a complete PITA job. I got rid of mine at 100k and let someone else deal with that maintenance.

So anyway... why is the chain better?

Old 05-20-2016, 03:50 PM

126 posts, read 206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
I'm pretty positive my 2015 Challenger 5.7L V8 has a chain... but the non-mechanic in me wants to know... why is a chain that much better than a belt?

I used to own a 2006 PT Cruiser and the kiss of death maintenance for that car was the timing belt change because AFAIK it was a complete PITA job. I got rid of mine at 100k and let someone else deal with that maintenance.

because of the rapper 2 chainZ

Old 05-20-2016, 03:58 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post

In most cars, if the timing belt breaks, you can kiss the engine goodbye. Chains won't break (under normal circumstances).

Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 PM

759 posts, read 636,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinmcx View Post
because of the rapper 2 chainZ
LOL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
In most cars, if the timing belt breaks, you can kiss the engine goodbye. Chains won't break (under normal circumstances).
Ahhh... yeah I remember that discussion about my PT. Something about a non-interference engine and it might actually survive...

Not that it matters now.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:23 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Quote:
Chains ordinarily don't break, it really depends on what the gears are made of. All chains stretch. This is going back quite a few years, but in the late 60's Pontiacs used to have a nylon gear on the camshaft. At about 30K miles the chain had stretched enough between the links that it would chew the teeth on the camshaft gears. We'd replace them with steel gears. If you get 60K miles plus out of a belt and the repair is $600, that's a dollar a mile, still not a bad cost.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:10 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
... If you get 60K miles plus out of a belt and the repair is $600, that's a dollar a mile, still not a bad cost.
I think your calculator needs an overhaul. Did you mean a penny per mile? That would still be a lot imho. I remember when gas cost a penny per mile. (Color me OLD!)

Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 PM

597 posts, read 666,283 times
Quote:
That's true, chains generally won't break, but if they do (and a few do), the results are usually catastrophic to the engine.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
Quote:
I once had the timing belt break on a high mileage honda. Mechanic thought it'd be toast. Turns out, despite it being an interference engine, the belt missed everything.

The car had been given to me by a family member who, upon relaying the story of good fortune, told me that was the second time the belt had snapped while driving without breaking anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive