Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times

Advertisements

Modified cars are a cultural thing. Low Riders, are mostly done by people of one basic culture. On the other hand the high rider style pickups are another culture all together.

Some people buy very small cars. Others buy very large cars, which again is often a cultural thing completely different that the small car owners.

Myself, I don't own a car. We have a 1999 Blazer bought new. A 2007 F150 pickup. And a fully loaded 2012 Ford 4x4 Explorer. All trucks. And we have studded snow tires for all of them. Where we live (Montana) we want to be able to go anywhere, anytime, regardless of the weather. On top of that, I am 6'2" tall, with a long torso. I physically cannot even get into and sit up in small cars with their limited head room. My 83 year old wife is only 5'2" tall and does not like small cars anymore than I do, especially in the winter with a foot of snow on the highway.

So what people drive, is a cultural thing and one cultural does not necessarily like what people of a different culture drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:08 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
We all have different tastes in America when it comes to many things. We have Lowriders, sandrails, dragsters, circle track, huge stilted up mud trucks, rockcrawlers, muscle cars, rally car, and on and on. You really should appreciate them all and it is closed minded to assume everyone only has your taste.
Lowrider magazine has cool cars and hot women. It doesn't get better than that.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
We all have different tastes in America when it comes to many things. We have Lowriders, sandrails, dragsters, circle track, huge stilted up mud trucks, rockcrawlers, muscle cars, rally car, and on and on. You really should appreciate them all and it is closed minded to assume everyone only has your taste.
Lowrider magazine has cool cars and hot women. It doesn't get better than that.
Exactly why this s the greatest country on earth.. The freedom to think, the freedom to be creative, the opportunity to make it happen(financially).
Whether we all agree or not, Americans are the greatest people on earth.

I had my a little experience with hydraulic low rider back in the early 90s in southern cal. Before all the rappers made it popular. It is really creative, it takes a lot of work to make it right and costly very costly

Anyone ever experience lowrdider show off on Hollywood blvd in front of manns Chinese theater?
If you were around that area and that time. You helped polarize low riders and also the fast and the furious.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
I don't get it....13 batteries in the trunk..A vehicle that can barely be driven over speed bumps or dips in the road..
Who cares if the wheels can hop off the ground? this thing is completely impractical...
It seems to appeal to people who are "all show and no GO"...
not really, I actually like lowriders more than cars with huge rims, I never liked cars with big giant rims on thin tires.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
What does not make any sense to me is a low-rider pick-up truck. Though I can see the aesthetic appeal in some of them...

Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
I'm not a fan of low rider cars, but they're certainly not the dumbest cars I've ever seen. Most of the ricer race boy wannabe body mods look way dumber, even worse than the donks.

This is way worse than a classic low rider.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:48 PM

822 posts, read 1,283,791 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XusWkZRbdo
These cars look beautiful IMO.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
I don't get it....13 batteries in the trunk..A vehicle that can barely be driven over speed bumps or dips in the road..
Who cares if the wheels can hop off the ground? this thing is completely impractical...
It seems to appeal to people who are "all show and no GO"...

No. The dumbest thing I've ever seen are pedestrians who do not follow roadway safety rules / signs and seem to think defying a couple thousand pound vehicle - in a public roadway - a right of way for transport, by lingering as aimless goats in the street (versus using crosswalk). Recall this on a trip through Paterson NJ in the mid 90s.

With all the news items about the 'problems' in certain urban areas (pick your city of choice) with this type of behavior - crowd loitering - obstructing traffic by imposing pedestrian stupidity on roadways it does make me wish for the Speed Racer vehicle with the extended spinning blades. Or the one time a militarized police in MRAP should just clear a path.

As for vehicles, probably the dumbest is the 'pimpmobile'. If you're engaging in an illegal activity how dumb are you to call out your illegal activity by a certain stylized motor vehicle that screams what kind of illegal work you're are involved in? Think about it.

Magnum Force - The Pimp's Assassination - YouTube

Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Though I think them to be atrocious looking and curse the fact the OEM geometry of the car is forever altered, I would rather see them restored as such than rusting in the woods, someone's yard or a junkyard.

A donk shares the dumb stage along with tuner cars with aftermarket junk stuck to them. How many Japanese cars came stock with cheap plastic adhesive ovals which loosely mimic those of Buicks from decades ago? Fake adhesive hood scoops?

Why are rims more important than the general overall mechanical health of a car? I have seen POS old cars riding around on Connestoga wheels looking like Shriners in a circus. Oops...can't forget the dual exhaust systems. Why didn't the owner spend an extra $2K on a better used car raher than slapping $2K worth of crap on it?

The beauty in these scenarios?? People eventually want to sell these cars and want to recoup the investment they made while assembling a mess the majority of people will not touch. I might have been interested in the original car before it was chopped, sprayed, lowered and pimped. Though I know they aren't. I hope most of them are junkyard revivals.

There is nothing like looking for a classic car and every one you see has been modded to the point you need walk away or hurl chunks.

You hear stuff like... "I had plans to do this and that but funds ran low so I put it off". OK, you had no idea of what you were doing and ruined the car.

It's been modded but comes with the original parts...you keep the POS.

It just needs minor bodywork....a new body.

I can't find a 20 year old luxury car that hasn't been ruined by some idiots. Why does a car need a 12" TV screen in the dash? If not that, why 2 12" subs in the trunk and other wiring you must remove? I don't even listen to the radio. Phone in the car? Only if it's off. If it needs to be used the car is pulled off the road and parked.

It's hell being middle aged and appreciative of cars for what they were before everything in life became synonomous with cartoons and video games.

Has anyone seen a Hot Wheels toy car as of recent? They aren't even cars. They are abominations on wheels.
oh please, just because a car is modified, doesnt mean there isnt a market for them. low rider owners tend to sell to other low rider types. but remember that the cars they start with are not pristine examples of the breed. for instance when street rodding got going hot and heavy, they started with cars that the restoration crowd would have run through the crusher a few times.

as for the ricer movement, i didnt like them that much either, but not because of the lack of performance mods done, but rather the attitude of the people driving the body kitted cars. thinking they are all that, when in reality it was a few bits of plastic mounted on a car body. some of them may have looked ridiculous to the average person, but so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I'm not a fan of low rider cars, but they're certainly not the dumbest cars I've ever seen. Most of the ricer race boy wannabe body mods look way dumber, even worse than the donks.

This is way worse than a classic low rider.
the picture you posted IS the dumbest look i have ever seen.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 PM

308 posts, read 498,823 times
I'm a big car enthusiast and have been messing with cars since I was a kid. I can appreciate all styles...lowriders, lifted trucks, classics, muscle cars, modern cars, vip style cars, rat rods, japanese "rice" cars, rally, dragsters, etc, etc. While I agree some people take their cars to the extreme that I would not do to my own. But I can still appreciate and respect it. Please don't call it "dumb" just because it's not your cup of tea or you don't understand it. Everyone has different interest and hobbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive