Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,770,893 times

Advertisements

2002 Hyundai SUV, 6 cyl. , auto trans. Have always left the hose in the factory location so it sucks in all outside air ; so i wanted to see if the MPG would increase with the hose taking air from near the top of the motor., since the outside temp. has been running about 55-60 f. during the day . My driving habits are the same, i fill up at the same gas station on 87 octane, my driving destinations are always the same thruout the week since im now retired. The last 3 fill ups are netting me just a tad shy of 3 mpg more with no change in the cars performance or operation.

Just a heads up for anyone whos interested. Is anyone else doing this seasonally and if so, what has your results been ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Cold air is denser air, so by taking in hotter air - the car's ECU will compensate by cutting back the fuel, but you are losing power too. This may be okay when it is really cold outside, but the car may not give you the desired results when (and if) it gets hot.

In short. The engineers knew what they were doing when they put the snorkel their. Use your right foot to adjust for better mileage instead.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Cold air is denser air, so by taking in hotter air - the car's ECU will compensate by cutting back the fuel, but you are losing power too. This may be okay when it is really cold outside, but the car may not give you the desired results when (and if) it gets hot.

In short. The engineers knew what they were doing when they put the snorkel their. Use your right foot to adjust for better mileage instead.
Yes, im aware of how the ECU will lean out the mixture for better MPG if taking in warm air . Ive noticed no change in power but then again, I drive it conservatively anyway -- it has all the power i certainly need . When it starts to warm up in the Springtime, ill simply revert it back to all fresh air. I think making this change seasonally is worth the additional 3 mpg I get .

Old 11-12-2011, 01:44 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
My tank is about 12 gallons on fillups. I fillup about 2-3 time a month. I get about 22 mpg.

So... 3 x 12 = 36 gallons used a month.
22 x 12 = 264 mileage per tank. Or 792 miles per month.

If I got 25 mpg, it would be 25 x 12 = 300 miles per tank. Or 900 miles per month.
900 - 792 = 108 extra miles a month. At 22 mpg I would "save" 4.90 gallons a month.

I pay max about $3.25 a gallon right now, so $3.25 x 4.90 = $15.93 a month.

At it being cold for 4 or so months maybe here. 4 x $16 =$64.

I would save $64 - whatever I pay to modify my car. I figure at least $40. So for all this work, for me I would save $24 over 4 months. Or $6 a month. I just skip 1 extra beer a month while out to eat and I save just as much money.

So it wouldn't work enough for me to care....

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
My tank is about 12 gallons on fillups. I fillup about 2-3 time a month. I get about 22 mpg.

So... 3 x 12 = 36 gallons used a month.
22 x 12 = 264 mileage per tank. Or 792 miles per month.

If I got 25 mpg, it would be 25 x 12 = 300 miles per tank. Or 900 miles per month.
900 - 792 = 108 extra miles a month. At 22 mpg I would "save" 4.90 gallons a month.

I pay max about $3.25 a gallon right now, so $3.25 x 4.90 = $15.93 a month.

At it being cold for 4 or so months maybe here. 4 x $16 =$64.

I would save $64 - whatever I pay to modify my car. I figure at least $40. So for all this work, for me I would save $24 over 4 months. Or $6 a month. I just skip 1 extra beer a month while out to eat and I save just as much money.

So it wouldn't work enough for me to care....

Your figures look accurate and reasonable...however, it costs absolutely nothing with a little finesse to start sucking in warm engine air....usually the simple disconnection of a hose clamp . The $64 you save every 4 months would give you a few decent meals out or enough beer to enjoy a few hangovers on . Or , donate it to your favorite charity and help others . Your choice.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,286 times
I would donate beer to my favorite charity.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 AM

208 posts, read 270,048 times
Well I think the perfect formula is cold air + warm fuel. But I think you maybe getting the savings from shorter warm up time... this is the time to get the temp needle to the middle and get the cat hot enough to function, when the ECU is using more fuel to get there faster

Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Your figures look accurate and reasonable...however, it costs absolutely nothing with a little finesse to start sucking in warm engine air....usually the simple disconnection of a hose clamp . The $64 you save every 4 months would give you a few decent meals out or enough beer to enjoy a few hangovers on . Or , donate it to your favorite charity and help others . Your choice.
Disconnect a hose clamp? Are you suggesting I run no air filter.

On my car(and probably most cars) the easiest way to do it is buy some sort of k&n or a large cone style paper filter and clamp it directly to the throttle body. I figure $20-40 and a $3-4 large style hose clamp.

Time I save doing nothing is used drinking beer. Might work for other cars but not me.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Disconnect a hose clamp? Are you suggesting I run no air filter.

On my car(and probably most cars) the easiest way to do it is buy some sort of k&n or a large cone style paper filter and clamp it directly to the throttle body. I figure $20-40 and a $3-4 large style hose clamp.

Time I save doing nothing is used drinking beer. Might work for other cars but not me.

No im not suggesting running without an air filter ; on most cars, the air filter is in a box and a 3-4" cold air intake hose connects to the box. Simply disconnect the cold air hose and pull it off , and wullah...you start taking in warm engine air .

You need a break from beer drinking to do something constructive ; dont make beer your god ... i did that for many years and its pretty silly in the final analysis .

Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerEast View Post
Well I think the perfect formula is cold air + warm fuel. But I think you maybe getting the savings from shorter warm up time... this is the time to get the temp needle to the middle and get the cat hot enough to function, when the ECU is using more fuel to get there faster
On my Hyundai SUV, the exhaust sensor is upstream of the Cat so it doesnt matter how quickly my Cat gets hot ; warm engine air does the trick nicely and nets me just about 3 mpg more on that modification alone .......... if i slighly over inflate my tires by a few psi, i can slightly pass a 3 mpg increase especially if i get off the gas pedal sooner before approaching stop signs , stop light, and sharp turns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive