Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 PM

778 posts, read 2,324,113 times

Advertisements

So I just bought a silver 2011 Camaro SS. Absolutely love the car, but while researching it, I came across a common complaint. The front bumper, fender, and even mirrors are prone to paint chipping. This has made me especially paranoid right now considering I'm in Oklahoma, where our roads are turning into gravel thanks to a freakish drought and heat wave.

One remedy to this is a to get a clear bra. Basically its just a coat of thin plastic placed on cars much like a regular car bra (only not ugly ). I know 3M has a pretty big share of this, however here in OKC I've only been able to find XPEL installers, which is another manufacturer. Oh and its not cheap. I've gotten some estimates and it will be around $800-$850, which I was planning on using to install an exhaust system. I would love to hear if anyone has had an experience with this on their car. How is it to maintain? Does it peel or yellow after a while? How good is it resisting rocks and bug splatters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:03 PM

773 posts, read 2,632,876 times
Just my opinion, but I think car bras, of whatever style or make, are just the dumbest thing. They always remind me of the clear plastic sofa coverings that working class families used in the '50s — '70s.

Use a little touch-up paint and don't drive down gravel farm roads behind your bother-in-law's F-350.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:05 PM

24,484 posts, read 26,028,848 times
Cars should be braless, convertibles should be topless and braless.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM

120 posts, read 672,047 times
I really hope the sofa reference above is a joke, a properly installed clear bra won't be noticeable, and has zero affect on your enjoyment in 99% of personality types.

My advice to you - GET IT. Now it won't work miracles... a decent size stone at 80 mph will probably go through the bra, however, all those little chips that show up with highway driving won't ever show up on your car. Eventually the little rock chips that would have beat up your paint will beat up the bra instead, and when that day comes you can replace the bra rather than have to risk a repaint that isn't a perfect match (unless you want to go to the trouble of repainting the entire vehicle).

My car has soft paint too, and to me, clear bra is a life saver. One word though - if you're a really big paint snob, 30 coats of zaino and all that, a clear bra might not be for you. When detailing the car extra care does need to be taken at the edges. However I stand by my comment, and I won't own a car I care about that doesn't have it again.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,271,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
So I just bought a silver 2011 Camaro SS. Absolutely love the car, but while researching it, I came across a common complaint. The front bumper, fender, and even mirrors are prone to paint chipping. This has made me especially paranoid right now considering I'm in Oklahoma, where our roads are turning into gravel thanks to a freakish drought and heat wave.

One remedy to this is a to get a clear bra. Basically its just a coat of thin plastic placed on cars much like a regular car bra (only not ugly ). I know 3M has a pretty big share of this, however here in OKC I've only been able to find XPEL installers, which is another manufacturer. Oh and its not cheap. I've gotten some estimates and it will be around $800-$850, which I was planning on using to install an exhaust system. I would love to hear if anyone has had an experience with this on their car. How is it to maintain? Does it peel or yellow after a while? How good is it resisting rocks and bug splatters?
I would check out the offroad forums like Ford Raptors etc. They use them and with good luck from my understanding. I have thought about installing them on my Raptor but the nearest dealership is like two states away.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,867,760 times
I did some research and seems like removing them is a pain, essentially same risk of paint damage that the gravel does. I decided to let the "road character" to take over.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM

778 posts, read 2,324,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
I really hope the sofa reference above is a joke, a properly installed clear bra won't be noticeable, and has zero affect on your enjoyment in 99% of personality types.

My advice to you - GET IT. Now it won't work miracles... a decent size stone at 80 mph will probably go through the bra, however, all those little chips that show up with highway driving won't ever show up on your car. Eventually the little rock chips that would have beat up your paint will beat up the bra instead, and when that day comes you can replace the bra rather than have to risk a repaint that isn't a perfect match (unless you want to go to the trouble of repainting the entire vehicle).

My car has soft paint too, and to me, clear bra is a life saver. One word though - if you're a really big paint snob, 30 coats of zaino and all that, a clear bra might not be for you. When detailing the car extra care does need to be taken at the edges. However I stand by my comment, and I won't own a car I care about that doesn't have it again.
Thanks for the info, thats good to know.

I'm not a "paint snob" in the least bit, but I do like to kep my car waxed from time to time. Do you apply wax just on top on the film as if were not there. What about taking it to a car wash? I'm afraid some idiot would scrub the film right off.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,239,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post

I wish I'd put one on my GTO. The front end has at least a dozen chips, and I've only put 52K on the car in 6 years.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,016,545 times
I can't believe they've gotten so expensive. My research indicated it would cost $600 on my Murano and I couldn't stomach that price. I seem to remember them costing half that ten years ago but I could be imagining that. You could have the bumper re-sprayed for about the same price. If you only have it on part of the hood then you get chips on the part that isn't protected which doesn't look great IMO. I don't think they are particularly hard to remove with a heat gun but it's not exactly as easy as unwrapping a gift either. I've also seen some clear bras that really stand out and look obvious.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,398,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Just my opinion, but I think car bras, of whatever style or make, are just the dumbest thing.

Use a little touch-up paint and don't drive down gravel farm roads behind your bother-in-law's F-350.
Best suggestion and another benefit on not tail gating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive