Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,942,951 times

Advertisements

No doubt the Rav-4 is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM

1,984 posts, read 6,903,285 times
Well, at least it seems like not everyone agrees on this, which makes me feel less like a moroon. Its a no on the Patriot, can not have CVT, I keep my cars for many years and need more time tested technology. The Forester is a thought, but being that we are in CA, I don't really need AWD, so having to maintain it and also change all 4 tires together is added cost.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:54 PM

1,955 posts, read 11,003,443 times
Subaru's AWD isn't any more maintenance laden than a FWD.

As for needing to change all 4 tires ... what, do you NOT rotate your tires regularly and have the alignment checked from time to time? When my cars are due for tires, it goes in for all four because all four are equally worn out.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Subaru's AWD isn't any more maintenance laden than a FWD.

As for needing to change all 4 tires ... what, do you NOT rotate your tires regularly and have the alignment checked from time to time? When my cars are due for tires, it goes in for all four because all four are equally worn out.
For whatever odd reason, I like to change them a pair at a time, easier on my pocket and this is probably my bad luck, but every time they rotate my tires I have vibration or alignment issues.

Either way I looked into it and the Suby's are out of my price range.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,710,583 times
If you want to be talked out of making a mistake, here's the most important point: if you don't need AWD/4WD, which you've told us, you don't need an SUV. Period.

Here's something from the Car Guys about not needing an SUV, and alternatives.

Car Talk (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/suv/ - broken link)

There are plenty of alternatives that will provide just as much room as an SUV, all of which are better to drive and probably more comfortable and cheaper.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:15 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,157,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Its a no on the Patriot, can not have CVT, I keep my cars for many years and need more time tested technology.
CVT is great! I have a 2007 Nissan Sentra that has CVT and the nice thing about having a CVT is that it is very quiet and economical. I already have 66k miles on it and I keep my cars until the wheels fall off so to speak. There are a few models out there with CVT and it started around 2005.
Don't let a car that has CVT keep you away if that's the car for you. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,496,015 times
As usual I will recommend the CRV all the way Have had them in the family since about 2002 and the most repair ever needed was a set of brake pads. They also hold their value like you wouldn't believe. Not as good on gas a 4 banger should be but good enough. The AWD system is incredible in the snow as well.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,266,722 times
NONE of the small Chrysler "SUVs" is worth owning. Compass, Liberty, Patriot etc. are all crap crap crap.

A Wrangler is a terrible choice for a family vehicle. Why on earth would you want to have such great offroad capability but such poor onroad behavior? The OP says he doesn't need 4x4. It is noisy, rough riding, and just OK safety ratings.

All Subarus are AWD. Subaru believes AWD is good all around - not just for offroad use. So I would not worry about maintenance on Subarus.

But I think the RAV4 V6 might be the best choice. Great combination of engine and fuel economy. The CR-V is a great choice all around but it has less power than the RAV4 and no better fuel economy.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,929,959 times
I would go check out a new Subaru Outback for low $20's. Has better ground clearance than a Rav4/CRV and will do better off road and on the snow. Subaru's have excellent resale as well, at least here in Colorado where 1/4 cars is a Subbie!

If you have the money, I'd try to get the 3.6 with over 250HP. If you want better MPG, get the 4 banger (22/29).

Go buy yourself a 1997+ Wrangler Sport for your mid-life crisis car!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 PM

Seems like midlife crisis would have to take a back seat for now. Wife and kids are loving the CRV. Have to take a look at used Tucson/Sportage too. The RAV is still a contender. I am a bit of an oddball and try to pay all cash for my cars, so even the slightest increase from 20K makes me nervous. Also even though I am sure Subaru's are great cars the resale value is not as good. We usually keep our cars until the fall apart, but it doesn't hurt to have a car with better resale value just in case.

The cartalk piece was really what I needed to read, kind of a slap in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive