Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,916,079 times

Advertisements

nascar-love it

formula 1-love it

Rally-awesome

Paris-Dakar--great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
WRC is by far the most entertaining form of motorsport, by far. .
I'd have to vote for Unlimited Air Racing, also the fastest form of motorsport.

And unsure of TV coverage but next month is the TT motorcycle races on the Isle of Man, a lap of over 37 miles on public roads, AWESOME!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,466,761 times
The Isle of Mann races are insane. Nothing like catching air doing 150mph on a motorcycle, with spectators mere yards away. Its almost like rally driving, but with only 2 wheels and no navigator.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Isle of Mann races are insane. Nothing like catching air doing 150mph on a motorcycle, with spectators mere yards away. Its almost like rally driving, but with only 2 wheels and no navigator.

And curbs, stone walls, manhole covers and all kinda mean, nasty things, and no steel cage, BIIIIIIIIIIIIG Cojones

I think this year is the 100th!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:48 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,602,687 times
I have been a fan of NASCAR for many years, but am starting to lose heart in the organization. As others have said, they seem to be alienating their spectator base with all the new programs they are devising.

I have long been a fan of the now defunct Elite division, in particular, the Southwest Series (AKA Southwest Tour). This was a touring series that would get out to the small hometown tracks throughout the southwest, though mainly in California. When I first got interested in the sport, some of the drivers that I got to know moved up into that series. Because of them, I followed the series for quite a while. Some managed to climb the ladder of success and move into the more prominent series, like the Nextel Cup. Some that did so are Kevin Harvick, Ron Hornaday, Jr., and David Gilliland.

Sadly, the 2006 season was the last one for the Southwest Tour. NASCAR decided that it wanted to focus on the Nextel, Busch, and Craftsman truck series, so it eliminated the Elite Division. I have a close friend that raced in that division, and he has since moved on to another organization's series, the SRL Wild West series. Like the Southwest Tour, the SRL travels extensively, in most of the same areas. For this reason, I think I will be following the SRL more than NASCAR in the future.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:56 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,916,079 times
jdavid, i would agree, when they started taking it to the mass audience from its core fans they began to glam it up to make money and not to stay authentic

Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
jdavid, i would agree, when they started taking it to the mass audience from its core fans they began to glam it up to make money and not to stay authentic

I would love to see someone like Curtis Turner take on the 'new' NASCAR

Old 05-11-2007, 11:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,024,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
Are you a fan of NASCAR?

1. Drive 200 MPH
2. Slow down
3. Turn left
4. Repeat 500 times
I was an amateur formula car road-racer in my younger days and I agreed with your opinion on NASCAR too until I tried it. Now, I have nothing but respect for their skills. It looks easy, but it's not. It's interesting to watch the learning curve for former CART champion, Indy 500 and Formula One winner, Juan Pablo Montoya this year in NASCAR. After 10 races, he's 21st in the points.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-11-2007 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,962,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
no No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No Nono No No No No No No No No Nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo
Repeat of the above for me. Sorry, it's just not my cup of tea. I realize that it takes some stamina to sit in a car and wrestle with the steering wheel (all left turns) but I hear them call these guys "athletes" occasionally and that's just not right.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Repeat of the above for me. Sorry, it's just not my cup of tea. I realize that it takes some stamina to sit in a car and wrestle with the steering wheel (all left turns) but I hear them call these guys "athletes" occasionally and that's just not right.
I don't care much for NASCAR, but I don't think you have any idea just how much athleticism it takes to wrestle that steering wheel in a 3,000+ pound car generating an additional several hundred pounds of downforce as you try to hold a very precise line at 200mph where a few inches off your line could cause an 8-car crash, fighting G-forces that would cause some people to black out, inside a car that's 135 degrees while you're wearing a flame-retardant suit for 3 hours. NASCAR drivers can lose as much as 10 pounds in a SINGLE RACE from dehydration, and yet they still have to stay alert enough to do all the stuff I just described. Try it some day and tell me these guys aren't athletes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing