Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 11:11 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Ask yourself, why do manufacturers spend so much money, time and energy in NASCAR? Just to hang out on Sunday's and watch racing from a suite?

Manufacturers want to showcase their vehicles and engineering prowess. They hope to get a ROI.
  • GM phasing out ICE by 2035 (spending $35B)
  • Ford to be carbon neutral by 2050 (spending $22B)
  • Toyota all electric by 2050
  • Chrysler shut down production of the HEMI engine forever (No More V8 Engines)
  • California (#1 car state) to ban ICE sales by 2035

With all that said, NASCAR understands where the future is heading. Electric car racing is coming if NASCAR wants to survive. It will have new fans. F1 and Indy are heading in that same direction.

I'm sure the CUP series will be the last one to switch. Probably a good decade away.
We have discussed NASCAR’s future numerous time and the fact still remains NASCAR’s relevance in the grand scheme of racing on Sunday and selling cars on Monday is rapidly fading away. SUV’s and trucks continue to be top sellers and they certainly aren’t bringing the buyers into the showroom because of weekend racing.

NASCAR could well transition to EV racing but by then the racing will become a novelty. Engineering and engine building has evolved for a long time. It is going to be one heck of a transition going to electric, gas to electric with a flip of the switch. Gone will be the need to employee a large NASCAR garage. Batteries in, batteries out.

If racing on the weekends can bring an affordable EV to the masses then go for it but I don’t see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 12:49 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Ask yourself, why do manufacturers spend so much money, time and energy in NASCAR? Just to hang out on Sunday's and watch racing from a suite?

Manufacturers want to showcase their vehicles and engineering prowess. They hope to get a ROI.
  • GM phasing out ICE by 2035 (spending $35B)
  • Ford to be carbon neutral by 2050 (spending $22B)
  • Toyota all electric by 2050
  • Chrysler shut down production of the HEMI engine forever (No More V8 Engines)
  • California (#1 car state) to ban ICE sales by 2035

With all that said, NASCAR understands where the future is heading. Electric car racing is coming if NASCAR wants to survive. It will have new fans. F1 and Indy are heading in that same direction.

I'm sure the CUP series will be the last one to switch. Probably a good decade away.
I will bet you money right now GMC will still be making gas power vehicles in 2035.

As soon as these new EVs from Chrysler go bust the hemi will be back.

California, well, thats Californias problem. The yhave enough electrical issues as it is.

Personally, I have ZERO issues with EVs, and the future of the auto industry is heading that way, but to make claims of such and such date(s) is absurd.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:40 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I will bet you money right now GMC will still be making gas power vehicles in 2035.

As soon as these new EVs from Chrysler go bust the hemi will be back.

California, well, thats Californias problem. The yhave enough electrical issues as it is.

Personally, I have ZERO issues with EVs, and the future of the auto industry is heading that way, but to make claims of such and such date(s) is absurd.

EVs are almost worthless for us here. I mean, I drive 70+ miles a day back and forth to work. But, let's say for whatever reason I can't have an EV hookup at my house.

There's a few charges in downtown Greenville. But, not many. Say I had to drive around a bit for work.. Will I have range?

Then, think about someone in Abbeville. Nearest charger is 50 miles away.

Until they build one that has the range of a similar ICE engine and chargers are about as prevelent as gas stations AND can recharge the car is 'about' the time it takes to fill up the tank..

They're not getting widespread acceptance until the above. They're close on one. Not so much on the other.

Hybrids, on the other hand.. Those can make sense. Depending on the situation obviously.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:00 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
EVs are almost worthless for us here. I mean, I drive 70+ miles a day back and forth to work. But, let's say for whatever reason I can't have an EV hookup at my house.

There's a few charges in downtown Greenville. But, not many. Say I had to drive around a bit for work.. Will I have range?

Then, think about someone in Abbeville. Nearest charger is 50 miles away.

Until they build one that has the range of a similar ICE engine and chargers are about as prevalent as gas stations AND can recharge the car in 'about' the time it takes to fill up the tank..

They're not getting widespread acceptance until the above. They're close on one. Not so much on the other.

Hybrids, on the other hand.. Those can make sense. Depending on the situation obviously.

I feel sorry for the people that live in Abbeville. They consume the bulk of their "charge" simply driving back and forth to the charging station.....

Old 08-27-2022, 07:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
In what world can you not have a charger at home?

MB has an all electric car that does 350 on a charge. It will charge from 10% to 80% in 30 minutes. The SUV version does 300 miles.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:16 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
In what world can you not have a charger at home?

MB has an all electric car that does 350 on a charge. It will charge from 10% to 80% in 30 minutes. The SUV version does 300 miles.
There are some areas where Labonte18, and I live that could not handle chargers without major upgrades to our power systems, especially with the recent influx of new homes in our area.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
There are some areas where Labonte18, and I live that could not handle chargers without major upgrades to our power systems, especially with the recent influx of new homes in our area.
Wouldn’t you be able to slow charge on 110V or quicker on 220V as similar to the one used on a drier outlet?

I am not a big EV proponent but I don’t think any neighborhood infrastructure needs to be increased. I see your point though. I live in a top and bottom duplex. Being on the top floor my breaker box is in my laundry room. It would be expensive to route from there to my garage. The downstairs unit has their breaker box in their garage.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 08-28-2022 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-28-2022, 10:40 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
That's on the power providers, or whoever owns the infrastructure. Don't forget that most charging takes place overnight, when demand is usually lower.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:53 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's on the power providers, or whoever owns the infrastructure. Don't forget that most charging takes place overnight, when demand is usually lower.
But if you stick 10-15 cars on a charger, in a relatively small geographic area, an area that normally sees not much more than 8-10 40W light bulbs and 2-3 TVs on, during the "overnight hours", and that won't cause a problem?

Old 08-28-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But if you stick 10-15 cars on a charger, in a relatively small geographic area, an area that normally sees not much more than 8-10 40W light bulbs and 2-3 TVs on, during the "overnight hours", and that won't cause a problem?
Those same homes would possibly running washers and dryers during peak times during the day so I don’t think there is going to be a problem.

Now putting chargers in if your breaker box is far from where you need to run power or have to upgrade your breaker box, that is going to be a problem.

As someone mentioned in another post, during the evolution of the automobile changes came slowly and affordability was always a constant. With EV’s each leap forward is costing the consumer thousands of dollars as technology moves forward yearly. I am a mopar man and it is great they are jumping into the game but I am not going to be able to afford one and the additional cost of upgrading my house for a charger.

I am grateful to have been a part of the boomer generation as if we could not afford a top of the line Z-28, Road Runner, Mustang Mach 1, etc. we had the opportunity to save and budget for the bolt-ons that would get us there in performance. It is nothing gloat over it’s just it was a much simpler time for hot rodding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing