Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 11:55 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
oh, it has an effect.. but is it.. Bad?

I've kinda discussed this before, back in '01 at The Winston.. I used to go every year.. That was the year of the big wreck in the rain on the first lap.

We were up in the Diamond Tower Terrace and sitting there for hours.. There was a black couple a row or two up and over from us.. We got to talking.. Super guy and his wife. They had come down from Indianapolis.. Long time attendees of the Indy 500 and they very briefly mentioned that they had some concerns about coming, but decided to anyway. Basically, they weren't familiar with the culture and were a bit concerned about it. We didn't talk about it in depth or anything, other than I mentioned I'd be shocked if they had any problems. I did say they'd probably get a second glance or two, simply because it'd be unexpected. I compared it to seeing a black hockey player or a double rainbow.. Hey, you don't see them that often, you kinda just do a double take.

But, it's not right they felt that way in the first place. I had told them that obviously I couldn't understand that and that for me and the friend and his kid that I was there with, I was happy they decided to come because I had a blast talking to them. The guy educated me quite a bit on Indy racing and really got me more interested in it and I like to think we got him a better education on stock car racing.

By the end, I hope that we had made some kind of impression on them so that they would want to come back without that thought in their head at all.

So.. In a way.. I can understand how, even if someone isn't necessarily offended by it, the flying of confederate flags could create a less than welcoming environment. and that guy and his wife.. I wish it had been more towards the internet era and we would have thought to exchange email addys or something. I'd love to talk to him again. But, I'd really hate if I hadn't had the chance to meet him because he didn't feel comfortable coming out.

And yes, this is also the race where we watched the stoned/drunk guy go tumbling down 50 rows of stairs and all of us were just laughing our asses off at him.
Well said, totally agree with your sentiment. Not at all apples and apples with this discussion though . It is actually offensive to equate this with racism or someone who may fear being discriminated against because of their skin color.
I will ask you, what exactly has NASCAR been doing to make it scary for the alphabet club to attend a race or be a fan? I'm sure I have sat next to a homosexual on an occasion or two and never knew it, and don't really give a rat's ass. They make up maybe 3% of the population being generous, so its not about the $ in the direct sense. Which leads me back to the aforementioned post. This isn't about anything except NASCAR and its new young leadership showing its woke corporate brethren how WOKE they are becoming. I'm sure they want to fall in line with the Coca Colas and McDonalds of the sponsorship world. And yes you can say, well doesn't effect or bother me or if it does, don't go, don't watch or don't take your kids to Disney world etc... And I am 100% in agreement with that. Until your kid or grandkids become the kid that cant play soccer because he wont wear the rainbow jersey, or you don't get that low interest rate as your brother in law because you or the company you work for aren't woke enough. This doesn't begin or end with NASCAR showing the love for the genderbenders ,one only has to look around to see that.
I'm sure the search is on as we speak for that Homosexual driver that NASCAR can start promoting through their diversity program.
In the meantime, grab your self a rainbow flag and enjoy the race!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 12:01 PM

5,677 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:

And yes, this is also the race where we watched the stoned/drunk guy go tumbling down 50 rows of stairs and all of us were just laughing our asses off at him.
Damn, that might have been me..............Nah, though Ive done that before!

Old 06-03-2022, 12:25 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,821,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well that's a funny thing to say , why would a major corporation do something that has literally no effect?
I have not seen those that are "up in arms" about it.
LOL...NASCAR "fans" are freaking out about this. And please explain to me how NASCAR supporting the LGBTQ community during pride month affects you or I, or any other fans?

Old 06-03-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
LOL...NASCAR "fans" are freaking out about this. And please explain to me how NASCAR supporting the LGBTQ community during pride month affects you or I, or any other fans?
You avoided the question. You said it literally effected no one... so ?
Riddle me this gt87 , how does it affect me if I am a member of the alphabet club ?
If I am a huuuuge fan of racing but also happened to be homosexual, what has been keeping me away from NASCAR?
I mean seriously guys in tight fitting Firesuits?
Please explain what changes ?

Last edited by silas777; 06-03-2022 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-03-2022, 03:20 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Not at all apples and apples with this discussion though .

I don't disagree. But, it's the closest thing that really applies here.

I mean, we don't particularly see the Westboro Baptist Church out at NASCAR. I'd like to think they'd get their asses whipped if they DID show up. Hate those damn people.

But.. The racial aspect is just the closest comparison that I can make. I mean, LGBTQ has just as much right as anyone to attend a race. But, just as I'd be not overly comfortable with a guy and his wife getting overly romantic in the stands.. It'd be just as much a problem if it was two guys.

And.. Yes. there's CERTAINLY a double standard there. Because.. If it was two women.. I'll just shut up now. No, no.. I'd still have a problem with it. Not the time or place.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree. But, it's the closest thing that really applies here.

I mean, we don't particularly see the Westboro Baptist Church out at NASCAR. I'd like to think they'd get their asses whipped if they DID show up. Hate those damn people.

But.. The racial aspect is just the closest comparison that I can make. I mean, LGBTQ has just as much right as anyone to attend a race. But, just as I'd be not overly comfortable with a guy and his wife getting overly romantic in the stands.. It'd be just as much a problem if it was two guys.

And.. Yes. there's CERTAINLY a double standard there. Because.. If it was two women.. I'll just shut up now. No, no.. I'd still have a problem with it. Not the time or place.
We are in complete agreement. But... you knew there had to be a but right? As I have been asking what has NASCAR been doing that it has to apologize to the lgbqt'rs ? How have they been denied ? The answer is nothing, because NASCAR is not being honest, they are being politically correct/Woke.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:33 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
We are in complete agreement. But... you knew there had to be a but right? As I have been asking what has NASCAR been doing that it has to apologize to the lgbqt'rs ? How have they been denied ? The answer is nothing, because NASCAR is not being honest, they are being politically correct/Woke.

I'm not sure putting out there that you'd be welcoming goes to that level. But.. I won't argue hard on it.

There's certainly been more need for that stressing of someone being welcome with the black community. And, while I wouldn't pander to them.. I haven't seen anything overly wrong with what they've done.. OTHER THAN.. The whole 'noose' situation. That was a complete and total overreaction and was blown into something it wasn't.

Should there be any changes as to what sponsors are approved.. Who Grand Marshalls are? No.

Hell, you could put George Washington as grand marshall and someone would complain. Since.. MOST of the races are in southern states.. It stands to reason that most of the governors are going to be right of center. And.. Governors are generally a go-to for the grand marshall job.

Old 06-03-2022, 06:56 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,171,188 times
Will we have to change current phrases said to describe what is happening during the race?

A"blown tranny" would seem to have a different meaning to the LBG at al crew.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Will we have to change current phrases said to describe what is happening during the race?

A"blown tranny" would seem to have a different meaning to the LBG at al crew.
Stand by ... that will warrant a fine and suspension. As will any loose talk of tailpipes.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:24 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Let me ask you this, if NASCAR decided NOT to celebrate LGBTQ month, what would happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing