Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 08:29 AM

273 posts, read 656,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A definition of sport is: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Seems to fit racing pretty well.

So, HOW do you define a "real sport"?
I guess for the person who said this it would have to be one of the 'original' Olympics categories.

BTW, what's the difference between throwing a ball or a spear (javelin)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 02:30 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,013,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
Car racing is not a real sport.
NASCAR straight up used to get driver's killed.

Then Dale Sr. had to die and the "90's Era" of NASCAR ended and the decline began.

I'm a late 90s/early 2000's kid (born 1991), so my most vivid memories is the movie Days of Thunder, Richard Petty's retirement and Dale Jr.'s first Busch race, Dale Sr.'s 1998 Daytona 500 victory, the Dale Sr./Gordon rivalry, Jeff Gordon's Million Dollar Winston victory, the infamous finish of the 1999 Goody's Headache Powder 500 night race at Bristol, the close finish of the 2000 Cracker Barrel 500, Adam Petty's death, the video game NASCAR Rumble and of course The Big One at the 2001 Daytona 500, and Dale Sr.'s crash and death at the end of said race.

After Dale's death the sport really went all in on safety and then to screwing with the points championship, then they put Brian France in charge and tried to start appealing to yuppies. Alienating their core fanbase more and more. Ultimately leading to 2020, the Confederate flag ban and Bubba Smollett's noose hoax and now because of that he's a mediocre driver who has been deemed untouchable and now he has a narcissistic attitude about it.

If I were Kyle Larson a couple weeks ago, and Bubba acted that way to me like he did there, Bubba would have had a big indent on the side of his head from my helmet and a busted nose for his behavior. Would it have destroyed my career? Most likely. But it would bring that midwit to heal.

Old 02-09-2023, 01:02 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Watched a Dale Jr podcast that he had Michael Fatback McSwain on. What a blast from the past! Pretty good stuff... I dig that inside baseball stuff especially from some of the older guys. Fatback dishes some dirt, lot stuff I didnt know about.

Old 02-10-2023, 05:37 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,896,314 times
For those of you who are interested and dont already know, check out Stapleton42 on YouTube. He does a good bit on the "Glory Days" of nascar.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:37 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Great little story -- I didn't know Bill France Jr. was on frequency with RCR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZA6g-Jic9Y

Old 02-16-2023, 03:53 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Watched a Dale Jr podcast that he had Michael Fatback McSwain on. What a blast from the past! Pretty good stuff... I dig that inside baseball stuff especially from some of the older guys. Fatback dishes some dirt, lot stuff I didnt know about.

Fatback still looks exactly the same, too.

Kinda shocked me what he had to say about his separation from JGR.. Basically, for those who didn't see it.. According to hm, he actually put two buttons on the wheel of Bobby Labonte's car.. One for talking back to the crew and the other one that wasn't connected to anything that Fatback told him to press when he wanted to rag on the crew for having a bad pit stop or similar.

Perhaps a bit of a passive aggressive way to handle it.. But.. You know.. I agree with him.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:07 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Great little story -- I didn't know Bill France Jr. was on frequency with RCR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZA6g-Jic9Y
Really cool story!!

Old 02-17-2023, 07:17 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Fatback still looks exactly the same, too.

Kinda shocked me what he had to say about his separation from JGR.. Basically, for those who didn't see it.. According to hm, he actually put two buttons on the wheel of Bobby Labonte's car.. One for talking back to the crew and the other one that wasn't connected to anything that Fatback told him to press when he wanted to rag on the crew for having a bad pit stop or similar.

Perhaps a bit of a passive aggressive way to handle it.. But.. You know.. I agree with him.
Indeed, I found that interesting ...first of all, I guess I didn't remember him crew chiefing for Bobby . 2nd, that maybe the first negative thing I have ever heard about Bobby Labonte. Good stuff though, Obviously no love lost there...

Old 02-18-2023, 11:16 AM

10,317 posts, read 6,866,614 times
NASCAR is actually, much more than a sport.

It's science.

Almost all of the safety engineering we enjoy in our passenger cars, is a direct result of NASCAR innovation. Almost ALL of it. (Other forms of competition have contributed, too.) AMA/IMSA/Indy/FIA just to name a few.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:30 PM

273 posts, read 656,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
NASCAR is actually, much more than a sport.

It's science.

Almost all of the safety engineering we enjoy in our passenger cars, is a direct result of NASCAR innovation. Almost ALL of it. (Other forms of competition have contributed, too.) AMA/IMSA/Indy/FIA just to name a few.
Maybe NASA might have given a bit of info? Well, you did say 'almost all'.

But really now, IRS was on passenger cars since when?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing