Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 11:10 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times

Advertisements

Aric Almirola retiring after 2022...
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2022/01...r-this-season/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 12:46 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Aric Almirola retiring after 2022...
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2022/01...r-this-season/

Somewhat surprising, but.. If you think it through, the injuries he's had.. The.. Fact that his contract is probably up at SHR and.. That they brought in Ryan Preece as a 'Reserve Driver" kinda led to me to believe something was up at SHR.. But I more thought they were planning for Harvick's retirement. Or that either Custer or Briscoe were on the hot seat.. Almirola was probably the last one I was considering.

Good driver who just never got over the hump. Your Ricky Craven type.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Somewhat surprising, but.. If you think it through, the injuries he's had.. The.. Fact that his contract is probably up at SHR and.. That they brought in Ryan Preece as a 'Reserve Driver" kinda led to me to believe something was up at SHR.. But I more thought they were planning for Harvick's retirement. Or that either Custer or Briscoe were on the hot seat.. Almirola was probably the last one I was considering.

Same here. I know they all put their own spin on it but with Aric his claim to want to spend this time with his growing family seems genuine. My wife follows him on social media says that is very much him.
I would guess that Custer and Briscoe should still be in the hot seat nevertheless...

Old 01-10-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Same here. I know they all put their own spin on it but with Aric his claim to want to spend this time with his growing family seems genuine. My wife follows him on social media says that is very much him.
I would guess that Custer and Briscoe should still be in the hot seat nevertheless...

Yeah.. I.. Kinda don't like that I used the term 'never got over the hump' with him. But.. I consider his career a disappointment based on what I thought he'd do when he was coming up. I expected him to fall more into the.. Guy who usually wins a race or two each year, but never, or rarely SERIOUSLY contends for the championship.

A step up from Ward Burton, but not as high as a Jeff Burton. How about that? Midway on the Burton scale. That's what I expected from his career. And.. He's.. Barely made it to Ward level.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:27 PM

Oh.. And saw where Filbert Martocci passed away.. The name might be kinda obscure to many, but he owned Kenny Wallace's long term ride in the late 90's.. the Square D #81

Old 01-11-2022, 07:04 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,700,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

On the Dale Jr Download, Harvick hinted that he would race until the new TV contract comes up. He's good in the booth and wants to have first hand experience in the new car to use as leverage. Guys like Jr and Clint won't.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
On the Dale Jr Download, Harvick hinted that he would race until the new TV contract comes up. He's good in the booth and wants to have first hand experience in the new car to use as leverage. Guys like Jr and Clint won't.

Junior has his name going for him. Clint has a pretty natural talent.. As does Harvick. I don't think any of them will be searching for work.

The question becomes, who gets pushed out? Lead roles aren't the only ones.. You've got the secondary shows and all that, too. A McMurray might not hang around.. Is Vickers even still on anything? With his wife, I suspect people are trying to distance from him.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:49 AM

9,509 posts, read 9,830,587 times
Jr is testing the 5 car at Daytona this week.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:15 AM

Oh.. Someone needs to create the '22 topic and see about getting it pinned.. We're in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing