Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,890,386 times

Advertisements

Well, testing is over, two more weeks until the first race (for US watchers, NBCSN doesn't have the schedule up yet). What's new?

Let's see, the Renault engine has been a donkey in testing, with Red Bull getting fewer laps than most others teams - with the possible exception of Lotus. Engines had to be homologated last Friday, so whatever the problems Renault may have, it is time to sign off on the specs.

Bernie managed to dodge the brunt of a bribery case (they ruled that yes, he bribed people, but that it didn't really matter, hence no harm no foul ?!).

Massa is doing well with his new team and it looks like Williams might be less of a turkey this year.

Hamilton took P1 on the last day of Bahrain testing but tried to play down expectations by saying that if Red Bull can make the car finish a race, they'll be very quick.

The stupid (ok, IMO the stupid) double points thing look like it is going to stick.

The Austin Grand Prix at COTA is scheduled opposite a NASCAR race at the Texas Motor Speedway, which left the NASCAR guys saying that it was stupid and Bernie, being Bernie:

"I've also spoken to the people that run the race at COTA and their position is that they believe the NASCAR crowd is a different crowd to Formula One, different people, different customers," Ecclestone said. "At the end of the day, they run a domestic series in America — we run a world championship."

I think they were more worried last year when it was scheduled opposite the UT Austin Homecoming football game.

Ah, Bernie, I will miss disliking you so much when you are gone. You are entertaining, I will give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:38 PM

983 posts, read 1,641,458 times
Indeed, the problems with the Renault engine seem pretty big. It seems to be lower than Mercedes and Ferrari on power, extremely difficult to cool down (only Caterham seems to be able to run it without overheating, and that's most likely because they went super conservative with cooling design).

By the looks of it, Mercedes powered teams will have the upper hand in the early season, with Mercedes itself as the favorite. Williams is looking very solid, and Force India should be able to fight as well.

Ferrari in my opinion is a question mark. They didn't look that good, but they just said they never ran the engine at full power during testig, so it could be that they are much faster. Their engine customers looked pale, way off the pace (Sauber and Marussia). I am hoping it's just the underpowered engine.

As for Red Bull... It's looking bad right now because of Renault... buy you never know... their times were awful last preseason and we all saw how the season went!

Can't wait for the lights to go off at Melbourne. It's been a miserable winter and lack of F1 only makes it worse.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:58 AM

68,379 posts, read 54,631,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
As for Red Bull... It's looking bad right now because of Renault... buy you never know... their times were awful last preseason and we all saw how the season went!

Can't wait for the lights to go off at Melbourne. It's been a miserable winter and lack of F1 only makes it worse.
While I'd love to see a season where one team doesn't dominate I wouldn't bet too many $$$ against any team having Adrian Newey on its roster.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 PM

NBCSports posts the TV coverage for the first race (which, by the way, will have new qualifying rules - time cut from Q1 and added to Q3 plus all teams that make Q3 will be awarded an extra set of tires - hard, soft, I have no idea). Note that all times below are Eastern. "NBC Sports Live Extra" is streaming live web coverage.

Quote:
Leigh Diffey returns to anchor the coverage with analysts David Hobbs and Steve Matchett, with Will Buxton live from Australia on the ground as pit reporter and insider.

Breakdown
Practice 1 – Thursday, March 13, 9:30 p.m. ET (Live on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra)
Practice 2 – Friday, March 14, 1:30 a.m. ET (Live on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra)
Qualifying – Saturday, March 15, 2 a.m. ET (Live on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra)
Qualifying Encore – Saturday, March 15, 6 a.m. ET (NBCSN)
Grand Prix – Sunday, March 16, 1:30 a.m. ET (Live on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra)
F1 Extra – Sunday, March 16, 4 a.m. ET (Live on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra)
Grand Prix Encore – Sunday, March 16, 6:30 a.m. ET (NBCSN)

The remainder of the entire 2014 F1 on NBC Sports schedule will be released soon.
Surprised there is no "F1 Season Intro" show, but that is really what I watch the Practices for anyway, when they have lots of time to jabber.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,874,178 times
I wish they'd hire Varsha. Diffey is okay but his voice grates on me a bit. NBCSN?! Good grief another sports channel.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:46 PM

16,734 posts, read 17,512,775 times
As you said PNW, I really hope that the ridiculous double points system doesn't come in.

Why doesn't Bernie go the whole hog and make the last race of the season a winner takes all?

Old 03-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
As you said PNW, I really hope that the ridiculous double points system doesn't come in.
The last event of the year WILL be double points, it was voted in. Not to say that it can't be voted out as easily. There was a proposal floating around to make the last THREE races of the season double points, and that one failed.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 AM

983 posts, read 1,641,458 times
I have a better idea, let's make ALL races double points races, and then only use half the points to determine the championship order.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,096,001 times
I usually only watch qualifying but with so many new rules changes on the cars; I will watch at least until the rich teams start to gain advantage developing the new cars under the rules. With such limited testing should start out as more equal and who designed the best on static testing.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 PM

68,379 posts, read 54,631,683 times
Nice to see the Martini livery back in action, I'm hoping to see Williams regain some of its former mojo, next to Ferrari and McLaren they're the oldest F1 team and I'd like to see Massa have a good year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing