Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,500,840 times

Advertisements

Not understanding the podium shows a lack of knowledge as well as respect for the sport. Just as Lauda and many other drivers have said, #1 is only as great as they are BECAUSE of # 2 and 3. If there werent such competitors pushing so hard #1 would not push himself to such boundaries. #1 respects and needs his worthy competitors, the ones on his side at the podium, to reach the levels of greatness that he does.

Rednecks just down some 'shine, hold their foot to the floor and hope that whatever they bounce off of points them towards start/finish...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Not understanding the podium shows a lack of knowledge as well as respect for the sport. Just as Lauda and many other drivers have said, #1 is only as great as they are BECAUSE of # 2 and 3. If there werent such competitors pushing so hard #1 would not push himself to such boundaries. #1 respects and needs his worthy competitors, the ones on his side at the podium, to reach the levels of greatness that he does.

Rednecks just down some 'shine, hold their foot to the floor and hope that whatever they bounce off of points them towards start/finish...
Isn't amazing how the rednecks can outdrive the podium racers at their own game.

The only reason number two and number three are up there is so their fans have something to cheer about.

Pretty sure the drivers would rather be on their way home rather than watching the winner spray them with grape juice.

If you talking amateur racing then OK, let the budget racers enjoy running two and three because it's all about having fun with your competitors.

But not in pro racing, these guys are in it to win it and the only one to be celebrating is the winner. Kumbaya is for the amateurs.

Perhaps your not talented enough to win outright so I guess for you 2nd or 3rd is just fine.

BTW if I was an amateur racer I would be happy to be up there with the winner.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Isn't amazing how the rednecks can outdrive the podium racers at their own game.

The only reason number two and number three are up there is so their fans have something to cheer about.

Pretty sure the drivers would rather be on their way home rather than watching the winner spray them with grape juice.

If you talking amateur racing then OK, let the budget racers enjoy running two and three because it's all about having fun with your competitors.

But not in pro racing, these guys are in it to win it and the only one to be celebrating is the winner. Kumbaya is for the amateurs.

Perhaps your not talented enough to win outright so I guess for you 2nd or 3rd is just fine.

BTW if I was an amateur racer I would be happy to be up there with the winner.

Nice guess.. but being that youre not an amateur or pro racer its just that.. guessing. My post and opinion comes from the experience of racing since I was 5 years old and making my living at it for almost 20 years now, spending plenty of time on all steps of the podium, including the top one at some of the worlds best racetracks. The comradery and brotherhood found in climbing up to the levels of pro racing is absolutely second to none in the world, except to maybe in a combat enviroment. Might be because the perils and chances of loss of life and limb are similar, but for much more trivial pursuits in the racing world.

Your flippant attitude shows you dont know as much about this as youd like to think you do. When you spend years removed from your biological family, on the road with your racing family and you become part of others lives and you share in the sacrafices and heartaches of all the too common injuries and deaths and absentism from anything resembling a "normal life" you see things in a whole different light. The romantcisim and/or guessing what living pro racing is, is not very near the reality. Do we love it and is it in our blood like a disease? Yes. But, only those "all in" like us actually no what it and the realationships built in it are really like. Want to know for yourself? Go all in and try it for yourself. Until then, good guess.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Nice guess.. but being that youre not an amateur or pro racer its just that.. guessing. My post and opinion comes from the experience of racing since I was 5 years old and making my living at it for almost 20 years now, spending plenty of time on all steps of the podium, including the top one at some of the worlds best racetracks. The comradery and brotherhood found in climbing up to the levels of pro racing is absolutely second to none in the world, except to maybe in a combat enviroment. Might be because the perils and chances of loss of life and limb are similar, but for much more trivial pursuits in the racing world.

Your flippant attitude shows you dont know as much about this as youd like to think you do. When you spend years removed from your biological family, on the road with your racing family and you become part of others lives and you share in the sacrafices and heartaches of all the too common injuries and deaths and absentism from anything resembling a "normal life" you see things in a whole different light. The romantcisim and/or guessing what living pro racing is, is not very near the reality. Do we love it and is it in our blood like a disease? Yes. But, only those "all in" like us actually no what it and the realationships built in it are really like. Want to know for yourself? Go all in and try it for yourself. Until then, good guess.
Real racers never tell about their accomplishments we know who they are and what they did. So who are you?
I have been to many races in the last 60 years so if you are somebody important, who are you?
I have read some of your name dropping posts but you haven't posted your name yet.

Your screen name suggests you spend some time at Lime Rock Park Ct. but that does not make you a pro racer.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Real racers never tell about their accomplishments we know who they are and what they did. So who are you?
I have been to many races in the last 60 years so if you are somebody important, who are you?
I have read some of your name dropping posts but you haven't posted your name yet.

Your screen name suggests you spend some time at Lime Rock Park Ct. but that does not make you a pro racer.
Your opinion of who "real racers" are matters exactly none at all. As far as who I am, my friends, family and fellow racers know exactly who I am. The same "real racers" YOU speak of call me a good friend and worthy adversary. To you, no matter what my name is it makes no difference, as you are not a part of my life and your name does not matter to me at all either. Somebody important? Wt f is that and who said that? I may have done some "important" things, (very few of them connected to racing) and Ive surely saved a few lives along the way, but so have millions of other people in all different walks of life. If anything talks to your twisted point of view, its probably that question in that form of wording.
And yes, calling Lime Rock my home for many years when I'm lucky enough to be home does not make me a pro racer, being paid to race is what does.

If you dont like a pro racers view of the podium and its signifigance and how it does not jive with someone who has never had that view, well than thats your issue. You can have your own opinion about such things, but it does not make them facts. I only speak from MY experience and you from yours FWIW.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Your opinion of who "real racers" are matters exactly none at all. As far as who I am, my friends, family and fellow racers know exactly who I am. The same "real racers" YOU speak of call me a good friend and worthy adversary. To you, no matter what my name is it makes no difference, as you are not a part of my life and your name does not matter to me at all either. Somebody important? Wt f is that and who said that? I may have done some "important" things, (very few of them connected to racing) and Ive surely saved a few lives along the way, but so have millions of other people in all different walks of life. If anything talks to your twisted point of view, its probably that question in that form of wording.
And yes, calling Lime Rock my home for many years when I'm lucky enough to be home does not make me a pro racer, being paid to race is what does.

If you dont like a pro racers view of the podium and its signifigance and how it does not jive with someone who has never had that view, well than thats your issue. You can have your own opinion about such things, but it does not make them facts. I only speak from MY experience and you from yours FWIW.
If it makes you feel good to be on the podium with the winners well good for you. But as a racing fan I am only interested in who the winner is on that particular day.
Chasing points is another thing I know all points are important.

This Top three on the podium in racing probably got it's start in Europe with road racing. In this country except for road racing we celebrate the winner as it should be.
Being the first or second loser you don't belong up there with the winner.
Of course this is only my opinion and as a fan I have the right to my opinion no matter how many may disagree with me.

When I leave Daytona next January I will know who the winner of the first United Sports Car Rolex/Tudor 24 hr race was. I will not care who come in 2nd or 3rd in class.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
If it makes you feel good to be on the podium with the winners well good for you. But as a racing fan I am only interested in who the winner is on that particular day.
Chasing points is another thing I know all points are important.

This Top three on the podium in racing probably got it's start in Europe with road racing. In this country except for road racing we celebrate the winner as it should be.
Being the first or second loser you don't belong up there with the winner.
Of course this is only my opinion and as a fan I have the right to my opinion no matter how many may disagree with me.

When I leave Daytona next January I will know who the winner of the first United Sports Car Rolex/Tudor 24 hr race was. I will not care who come in 2nd or 3rd in class.
Lol you picked a good one to illustrate that point with.. which winner?? There'll be at least four of them for that race.
See you there.. from the other side of the fence..

Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,587,398 times
So you live in Connecticut, when not on the road racing, but you also have time to quality check Lincolns in Michigan? Ok, sure.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
So you live in Connecticut, when not on the road racing, but you also have time to quality check Lincolns in Michigan? Ok, sure.
Quality check. No. Drive them on their proving grounds and report back to the engineers that are working on QC for Lincoln. Yes.. when they fly me out for a couple days at a time. At least I did. That contract is up now though. Now what occupies most my time when Im not at the track racing and/or coaching is working for GM with the implimentation of their track driving events for the launch of their new C7 Stingray/Corvette. With a couple commercial shoots for Lexus and BMW thrown in to keep me busy enough this year to miss way too much of my first love, motorcycle riding/racing.

One of the downsides of the career, never enough time at home. But its OK. Its the life Ive chosen at this time.
Thanks for such concern though AL. :P

Last edited by LRPct; 10-17-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
WHEN/WHERE/WHO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing