Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
bayne hasnt gotten the support he deserves, partly because of health issues a couple of years ago, and partly because of economic issues at roush. he needs a bit more seasoning in the nationwide series before going to sprint cup. perhaps two more seasons to show what he can do.
He is driving for the same team that won the last two championships so lack of support is not a valid excuse. Nice kid but doesn't have the drive that's needed IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,863,747 times
Could be NAPA was/is looking for an excuse to get out of the sport all together. Looks like a money sink at the moment for not a lot of return.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Could be NAPA was/is looking for an excuse to get out of the sport all together. Looks like a money sink at the moment for not a lot of return.
They had just renewed the deal last August, so I don't think that was the case. Imagine the NAPA Execs point of view. This is the 2nd time they've been part of a major scandal with MWR: Jet Fuel at Daytona in 2007 and Spingate. They also went through the emotion of "We're in the chase" and "We're out"

They probably just had enough.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:33 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
They had just renewed the deal last August, so I don't think that was the case. Imagine the NAPA Execs point of view. This is the 2nd time they've been part of a major scandal with MWR: Jet Fuel at Daytona in 2007 and Spingate. They also went through the emotion of "We're in the chase" and "We're out"

They probably just had enough.
Don't forget Mikey's "DWI that didn't happen but he still rolled his car in a ditch."

Old 09-20-2013, 07:41 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Don't forget Mikey's "DWI that didn't happen but he still rolled his car in a ditch."
Good point. NAPA has been more than loyal to MW.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
He is driving for the same team that won the last two championships so lack of support is not a valid excuse. Nice kid but doesn't have the drive that's needed IMO.
yes that is true, NOW. after he won the daytona 500, he fell ill during the season and it took a long time for him to get back in the race car, so he ran a limited schedule that season. the next season roush cut back on racing activities, and bayne, while still under contract to roush, didnt run much during the next couple of years until stenhouse went to sprint cup and the bayne took over that ride, this season. but until this year, he has been running a limited schedule with the wood brothers team, and an extremely limited schedule with roush. it wasnt that roush didnt want to support him, roush couldnt afford a third nationwide team. i suspect that bayne was used as a test driver though to keep his hand in the game.

i say give bayne a couple of years in nationwide, and perhaps it might happen next season, and he will most likely contend for a championship in nationwide, heck he is eighth in the points right now.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
He has won with a PART-TIME TEAM. Wood Brothers is a part-time team. They don't have full-time funding to be contenders in non-plate tracks. Think about how Phoenix racing won Dega in 09 and then Front Row this year.

Quote:
yes that is true, NOW. after he won the daytona 500, he fell ill during the season and it took a long time for him to get back in the race car, so he ran a limited schedule that season. the next season roush cut back on racing activities, and bayne, while still under contract to roush, didnt run much during the next couple of years until stenhouse went to sprint cup and the bayne took over that ride, this season. but until this year, he has been running a limited schedule with the wood brothers team, and an extremely limited schedule with roush. it wasnt that roush didnt want to support him, roush couldnt afford a third nationwide team. i suspect that bayne was used as a test driver though to keep his hand in the game.

i say give bayne a couple of years in nationwide, and perhaps it might happen next season, and he will most likely contend for a championship in nationwide, heck he is eighth in the points right now.
I think Bayne needs a full year in nationwide to really gain seasoning. He had a full year this year and has done alright (better than his high-profile teammate in the 60 car.)

Old 09-22-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think Bayne needs a full year in nationwide to really gain seasoning. He had a full year this year and has done alright (better than his high-profile teammate in the 60 car.)
i agree. he is showing signs of what he was capable of the year he won daytona, and even though pastrana hasnt done as well, he is getting better also. i think that bayne may end up in sprint cup full time when biffle leaves roush.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,882,041 times
Quote:
i agree. he is showing signs of what he was capable of the year he won daytona, and even though pastrana hasnt done as well, he is getting better also. i think that bayne may end up in sprint cup full time when biffle leaves roush.
Time to end the Travis Pastrana experiment

Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
pastrana has had issues, no doubt, and perhaps he is in over his head, but he has talent, and roush recognizes that. will he be successful? i dont know, but he is learning, and as i have said with danica, give him a chance he is new at this and still learning. heck einstein didnt come up with the theory of relativity overnight you know, and enrico fermi didnt just walk into the lab one day and decide that even though it had never happened before, a controlled nuclear reaction could be done, and then he did it that first time.

and dont forget that as good as jeff gordon is today, when he first went to cup racing, he wrecked a lot of race cars, and he was also in good equipment, and he had spent a fair amount of time in busch racing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing