Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
This rule change by NASCAR is why I think the chase is a joke. First it was the top ten, then 12, now it is 13.
Will this "Jeff Gordon rule" that goes into effect this year be carried on from here on out? Will next year we have 13 chasers? If Gordon misses it again will they up the number to 14?

It's bad enough all the phoney debris cautions we see (to make the race more exciting), but to have this happen, it's not right.

I hated the idea of the chase when they introduced it back in '03, I hate it more now.

I've been a NASCAR fan since 1986. I've seen some terrific season ending races where points mattered (1992 for one), and then there were those where the leader was so far ahead he didn't have to enter one race at all and he still took the championship.
With ten races left in the season, each point mattered, and the drivers all knew that someone in 20th place conceivably had a chance to make it into the top ten in points and money and make it to the award ceremony (that are the most boring things to watch).

Now, if you are out of the top ten then you might as well forget getting there.
To me this just makes the last ten races boring. Hell, why not just eliminate every driver - but chase drivers - from racing, and shorten the races to 50 laps. At least then the races might be more exciting.

To say I am not a chase fan, nor a Gordon fan would be putting it mildly.
The top 10 to top 12 and then top 12 to top 10 and top two winners in 11th-20th place all happened in the off-season. Now yes, there was an egregious issue in points but Bowyer would only be knocked out if he lost 100 points (due to no wins) but adding Gordon in without dropping someone is a head scratcher because they could have put Newman in the same way without removing Truex.

The fallout from this is insane. Sponsors are supposedly looking to leave MWR. Including long term sponsor Napa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Crybaby Rick Hendrick along with his partner Brian France have decided to add Jeff Gordon to the chase.

F1 fans world wide are laughing at NASCAR and they are 100% right.
Why laugh? I miss the days when races/points were decided on track and not in office.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
NASCAR should keep the points secret from everyone till the checkered flag falls at the last race. Keep everyone on their toes and racing, not just riding around for the last 10 races.
That's not a bad idea, but whoa the conspiracies that would fly around if that were to happen.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Most people can count points.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,587,398 times
Seriously. The teams would just figure it out for themselves.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,564,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
4. Expand it to twelve so Jr. doesn't miss the chase (though it didn't work).
+ 1, exactly, how come all the people complaining tend to be Jr. fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I am glad Jeff Gordon is in. If Clint Bowyer had not had that "spin" then he would have made the Chase, so I think it is justified. There was plenty of proof of the manipulation. I know I am new to the sport and I am a "girl" but I am glad he is in.

exactly, there's no conspiracy theory. If it was Jr. that was the rightful benefactor then they'd be all happy.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:17 PM

36 posts, read 94,481 times
Now if Bowyer would just take out Gordon like Gordon did to him last year, that will be a good day.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
I doubt the team or sponsor would see it like you.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,825,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am not gonna knock girl fans, and I we all were new fans sometime. I just think Gordon shouldn't have been added in. Why was Truex removed when it was not him but his teammates that did that? Shouldn't have Truex stayed in the chase with Newman added as well? That's my issue with adding Gordon in.
I might be off but Truex only qualified because of the manipulation, so he never really made it. I agree Truex did nothing dishonest. I still think Jeff Gordon deserved to be in it because absent the manipulation he would have made it. I would have like to have seen them boot out Clint Bowyer but he was already "locked in". I saw lots of Clint Bowyer's interviews, I have zero respect for him. NASCAR received over 200,000 phone calls in support of Jeff Gordon, or to be more accurate, outraged that he was not in the chase because of Clint Bowyer's spin. I was following this on his Facebook page there were tons of petitions etc. His fans were outraged to put it mildly.

For me as a new fan to the sport, it made me respect the sport more to put Jeff Gordon it vs. keeping him out.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,668,155 times
I don't see how Boyer purposefully spinning himself out to put the race under yellow is much different than Earnhardt spinning out Terry LaBonte in the last lap at Bristol. Both were done in an effort to manipulate the outcome of the race.. duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing