Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by video646 View Post
Their television ratings are higher than MLB, the NBA and the NHL.

What I can't understand is the "Hate" some people have for NASCAR. I don't watch basketball,hockey or soccer but I have no "hate" for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,587,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

What I can't understand is the "Hate" some people have for NASCAR. I don't watch basketball,hockey or soccer but I have no "hate" for them.
Too many clowns out there think they are going on a Sunday drive for 500 miles while only turning left. They don't give it respect because they think they can do it too because they drive a car.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 AM

468 posts, read 827,517 times
Quote:

Easy for people to hate something they don't understand.

They know nothing of the strategy and the knowledge needed to have a car set-up perform in those turns.

I dislike (don't hate) basketball mainly because I never really understood it. There are other reasons I don't follow it but I don't hate the sport nor do I post on basketball forums about why I dislike it.

Some people have too much time on their hands and have nothing better to do than slam other folk's interests.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,241,830 times
Quote:
Gotta love those redneck preachers at all NASCAR events. I don't care if you hate NASCAR or if you hate football but you gotta love this guy.

Best NASCAR Invocation Ever July 23, 2011 - YouTube
This guy probably reaches more people with his nutty sermons than many preachers do with their "if you do not believe as I do you will go to hell and that's all you need to know" rhetoric. His wife is not "smokin hot" by any modern standards, but he thinks she is, and is proud of it, and that says a lot about him. I'm not the least bit religious but I'd like to have a drink or lunch with that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post

They know nothing of the strategy and the knowledge needed to have a car set-up perform in those turns.

I dislike (don't hate) basketball mainly because I never really understood it. There are other reasons I don't follow it but I don't hate the sport nor do I post on basketball forums about why I dislike it.

Some people have too much time on their hands and have nothing better to do than slam other folk's interests.
I have a buddy who isn't into motorsports, but he dislikes NASCAR only because they mostly turn left. He's also one of those peole who thinks it's not hard. When I suggest to him to join me on a track day and go as fast as the car is capable for a couple laps, with nobody near him, he has a litany of excuses for why he can't do that. None of those excuses have anything to do with his ability, mind you. So I suggest he keep his mouth shut, because NASCAR drivers do it for hundreds of laps, often identical to get the best lap times, without 40+ other cars.

F1 is fine, but boring. Too sterile. If anything but a nose piece or wing is damaged, the car is done for the day. Zzzz. No worthwhile rivalries. Look at the technical advances deemed necessary to make the sport more interesting, DRS and KERS, etc. NASCAR drivers simply use the cars as an extension of themselves to get their point across. There's no personality in F1. I've watched every F1 race for 5 years. Still mostly zzzzz. Why do many open wheel drivers apsire to NASCAR, but more often than not, fail? Who has gone from NASCAR to F1? There is huge money in F1 for some drivers, but little for endorsements, unlike NASCAR.

I've been to ~140 NASCAR races and can say that fans cover a range of demographics, not just one. Certainly there are far fewer of some types than others, but all that big money doesn't come just from trailer dwelling rednecks, as some would like to think.

People talk about driving around in circles (BTW, there are no circle tracks in the top 3 NASCAR series. Maybe people need a refresher in basic geometry.) as being boring, but soccer is the number one sport in the world. 89 minutes of nothing, with maybe 10 seconds of highlights in a game. Whew, gotta sit down for that.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:

Same here, I follow two sports and I don't go to the other sport forums railing about their short comings.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post

All the while raving how great their interests are.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:17 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,087,911 times
I just find it ironic that NASCAR fans pray to Jesus before they get puking drunk, whilst sitting outside their campers, flying their Confederate flags.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
This guy probably reaches more people with his nutty sermons than many preachers do with their "if you do not believe as I do you will go to hell and that's all you need to know" rhetoric. His wife is not "smokin hot" by any modern standards, but he thinks she is, and is proud of it, and that says a lot about him. I'm not the least bit religious but I'd like to have a drink or lunch with that guy.

I have a buddy who isn't into motorsports, but he dislikes NASCAR only because they mostly turn left. He's also one of those peole who thinks it's not hard. When I suggest to him to join me on a track day and go as fast as the car is capable for a couple laps, with nobody near him, he has a litany of excuses for why he can't do that. None of those excuses have anything to do with his ability, mind you. So I suggest he keep his mouth shut, because NASCAR drivers do it for hundreds of laps, often identical to get the best lap times, without 40+ other cars.

F1 is fine, but boring. Too sterile. If anything but a nose piece or wing is damaged, the car is done for the day. Zzzz. No worthwhile rivalries. Look at the technical advances deemed necessary to make the sport more interesting, DRS and KERS, etc. NASCAR drivers simply use the cars as an extension of themselves to get their point across. There's no personality in F1. I've watched every F1 race for 5 years. Still mostly zzzzz. Why do many open wheel drivers apsire to NASCAR, but more often than not, fail? Who has gone from NASCAR to F1? There is huge money in F1 for some drivers, but little for endorsements, unlike NASCAR.

I've been to ~140 NASCAR races and can say that fans cover a range of demographics, not just one. Certainly there are far fewer of some types than others, but all that big money doesn't come just from trailer dwelling rednecks, as some would like to think.

People talk about driving around in circles (BTW, there are no circle tracks in the top 3 NASCAR series. Maybe people need a refresher in basic geometry.) as being boring, but soccer is the number one sport in the world. 89 minutes of nothing, with maybe 10 seconds of highlights in a game. Whew, gotta sit down for that.

Great explanation about the difference between F1 and real racing(NASCAR)

If people don't like NASCAR fine just shut up about it because nobody cares.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I just find it ironic that NASCAR fans pray to Jesus before they get puking drunk, whilst sitting outside their campers, flying their Confederate flags.
I resent that. I've prayed to Jesus after I got puking drunk....and I didn't have to be at a NASCAR race to do it.

So there.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,825,164 times
Angry Sterotype much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I am a NASCAR fan. I pray to Jesus. I don't get puking drunk, don't fly the Confederate flag, and don't own a camper...sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing