Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM

114 posts, read 618,755 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Is anyone out there a librarian or library-type working in the Austin area? I'm currently in the middle of an Info Science degree at the University of Tennessee. I'd like to relocate to Austin at the end of my degree, but I fear that I will face too much competition from graduates of UT-Austin's program. Considering the UT-Austin program is much bigger and is higher ranked (10th, I think) than Tennessee's (16th), does that mean that I will have very little chance of getting my foot in the door? Or do you think that some organizations may want to hire outside the area? Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Much of my course work concentrates on technical services (cataloging, abstracting, indexing, collection development, etc.), fundraising and cross-cultural/diversity issues. I also work in the Preservation Unit at Hodges Library on the UTK campus. Thanks, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:35 PM

289 posts, read 1,139,502 times
I don't know about Austin libary jobs, but as an avid library user in many different cities and as a 7 year assistant librarian (10 years ago), I can tell you that Austin has the very worst libraries I have ever seen. I've never used ILL so much in my life. Maybe there's a better system up North in Round Rock? I don't know if they have their own system or not.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:05 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,715,461 times
Round Rock, Georgetown, and Taylor all have their own library systems. I don't know how they work though. Hutto is trying to start one, but they are having a hard time finding people to do some of the heavier work. My neighbor called about volunteering, but was not interested in the harder stuff. I believe these are paid positions, so maybe you could look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin