Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times

Advertisements

No need to worry. Based on the amount of negative feedback, it seems like nobody will be going there and they will close down soon after opening.

Come 'on, people, it's a waterpark! Woo-Hoo!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Oil dependence?

Sprawl?

It will be located in an area that's ALREADY significantly developed. (no additional "sprawl")
Please.

No it isn't.

Google maps: when you go north from there, it's 95% open field for about 10 miles until you reach far western Georgetown. The immediately area is only about 30% filled with subdivisions, and you have to drive 7 miles south until you get to McNeil before you reach anything resembling density.

Quote:
& i'm not sure how oil dependence is increased.
There is no way to get there except by automobile. It runs no where near the commuter rail, and it's about as far removed from a densely populated area are you can get. It might as well be western Nebraska.

Quote:
(& a water park uses LESS energy than 1000 track homes built in a track development).
energy usage? That is an irrelevant stat.....ex: "my house uses less water than a 2000 sf water park.." pointless.

Last edited by jobert; 02-23-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Please.

No it isn't.

Google maps: when you go north from there, it's 95% open field for about 10 miles until you reach far western Georgetown. The immediately area is only about 30% filled with subdivisions, and you have to drive 7 miles south until you get to McNeil before you reach anything resembling density.

There is no way to get there except by automobile. It runs no where near the commuter rail, and it's about as far removed from a densely populated area are you can get. It might as well be western Nebraska.

energy usage? That is an irrelevant stat.....ex: "my house uses less water than a 2000 sf water park.." pointless.
goofy logic.

1. If a water park isn't put there.....then a new home development, or a shopping center, or an office park, or an apt. complex will be put there. (& Sbahn won't be on Parmer, it'll be on 1431). Call it sprawl or development or whatever....it's already happening on 1431. (& imo "google maps" is a good year or two behind in many developing areas.....try google mapping Vandergrift HS....all you see is a canyon....and 1/3 of Steiner Ranch still isn't shown on google maps.)

2. Not that i think anyone would use the train (if it ever gets up & running), but the park will be a couple of miles (3-5 miles?) from the Cedar Park Station. (& Schlitterbahn does a pretty good job of "shuttling" people in NB)....maybe they'll promote the train....but who knows....naw, probably not.

3. I didn't bring up "energy usage". But as long as it has been brought up (by you), prove that the propoganda memo from Sbahn is wrong. They're saying that Sbahn will use less water & less energy than a 1000 home development (THAT WOULD HAVE GONE THERE). And as a semi-Wilco tax payer.....I'd rather see a water park (that for the most part provides it's own infrastructure) than a new 900 - 1000 unit track home development (that requires roads, schools...at 6K per kid for 13 years...., & assorted other capital & annual needs that i would have to pay for).

& as a previous poster eloquently stated. It's a Waterpark....(& probably the best one in the world).....Whooo Hooo!

Last edited by hound 109; 02-23-2010 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Your condecending "Please." doesn't irritate as much as your space cadet reliance on GPS & Google. Get your facts straight.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
I live about a mile from the new site and I'm not putting my house up for sale because of this. It could be a good thing for the area.

However, I am curious to see what happens to I-35 and 1431. For those of you that don't live up in this area, have you ever gone to Ikea on a weekend? Have you tried to get back on to I-35 South bound from 1431? Traffic there is already a problem due to Ikea and the outlet mall. I just hope that this water park in Cedar Park addresses that traffic issue in Round Rock. It won't be fun for Schlitterbahn visitors to wait in traffic for 25 minutes while trying to make a left turn on to 1431 from I-35 with a bunch of anxious kids in the car. A lot of us will be cutting through Sam Bass and that road really can't handle any increased traffic.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
ride your bike there :-) I will. I guess the appartment complexes at 1431 and colonial don't count as density in your eyes.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
ride your bike there :-) I will. I guess the appartment complexes at 1431 and colonial don't count as density in your eyes.
Ride your bike on 1431 for three miles with kids? No thanks. The speed limit is 60mph in that stretch and there isn't a separated bike lane. Plus there are no sidewalks. That would be a death wish.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
We'll take the kids. I'm also of the whoo-hoo camp. I whoo-hooed to the one I heard going in at Pflugerville.

*searching for old thread, I know it's here somewhere...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Ride your bike on 1431 for three miles with kids? No thanks. The speed limit is 60mph in that stretch and there isn't a separated bike lane. Plus there are no sidewalks. That would be a death wish.
doesn't sound "significantly developed" to me - unless your comparing it to western Montana.

okay people move along, there is nothing to see here..literally

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
cleo Bay suzuki cedar park texas - Google Maps

I'm sure this map is a year or two old. But the light green patch next to (just to the right of) the Suzuki dealership is where Sbahn will be built.

I wouldn't ride a bike there....but maybe folks just south of the of the site could. (i know alot of people ride bikes along or near Brushy Creek Rd.) But i agree with Mark....1431 is like 620....at this point it's a 60 mph road connecting multiple subdivisions & shopping centers.

& I heard a rumor that Whole Foods has made a corporate decision to convert all of their existing parking lots (that surround their stores) into childrens educational parks....with the hope that only bike riders will be able to shop there. & all their future stores will be built next to train stations.

Last edited by hound 109; 02-23-2010 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: The "tumbling tumble weeds" of western Nebraska. :)

Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
They are building a bike lane on 1431 and yeah I would ride on 1431, I do it all the time and it is 1 mile on 1431 btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin