Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM

78 posts, read 199,512 times

Advertisements

Not trying to cause panic but it also appears Jaguars and Bears are returning too (seriously).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
Last spring, I saw what I believe to be a mountain lion near the Pflugerville dog park. My dogs and I were walking the trails and it came up out of the woods. At first I thought it might be a coyote or a wolf- but it was tan, had a powerful, strut-like gait like a cat and a long thick tail. I distinctly remember its catlike walk-observing that walk raised my fear/awareness level more than if it were a coyote as it was much more "wild." I immediately got off the path and cut across the field to get away from it; I kept turning around looking behind me to see what it was doing, and it had made its way out of the woods to the path and was pacing back and forth as it eyed me and my dogs. I felt as if it was considering whether or not to go after my two little dogs. I got out of there as fast as I could go without running. Very grateful nothing happened there. Have not walked those trails since. Be aware.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:44 AM

668 posts, read 784,009 times
Wanted to mention also that while most coyotes will usually avoid you, that is not always the case. When I lived out in rural Manor a decade ago (our property was near 969 and 973) we had coyotes come up all the time and howl near our back fence.

I had two German Shepherds at the time, and one night one of the coyotes jumped the fence, came into our yard, and was fixing to get into a bad situation with our male Shepherd. My ex shot the coyote. I don't know if it had rabies or something wrong with it, but I had never seen one behave that way before.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
My experiences with coyotes (we're surrounded by them on our 55 acres) is that they will sing of a night and you can tell pretty much exactly where they are, if you whistle they'll stop singing (probably to figure out who is singing off key), they'll avoid like the plague properties with Great Pyrenees on them, and if you should see one during the day, you'll look at each other, give a nod to each other like people do when passing, and go your own ways. I've never once felt even mildly threatened by one. We've also lived out here with numerous outdoor cats for almost 20 years and have yet to lose a cat to a coyote, but we have a bazillion rabbits and preying on a fellow predator is a lot more trouble than rabbits.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
on the Texas parks and wildlife are pictures from a game camera in south texas of a texas black bear..23 verified pictures..and they saw a Bobcat in Arlington . ..

Old 10-01-2015, 09:32 PM

515 posts, read 558,597 times
Urban bobcats are quite common these days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8u9cGFfMgg

Old 10-02-2015, 11:00 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
I hear Direwolves are making a comeback......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin