Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,569,520 times

Advertisements

OK, y'all. I can be a colloquial as the next guy; but, this is driving me crazy!

IN PRINT...in a Statesman self-promotion piece received in today's mail was the following sentence(in REALLY LARGE type):

"Not as big of a jerk as he makes out to be" Refers to Kelso, who may or may not be 'as big of a jerk', YMMV. Some guy who writes columns.

Now, I understand ATX(don't care for it--see other thread), I understand 'supposably'(yes, it's a word, just misused 99% of the time) in place of 'supposedly', I understand 'ain't' and 'y'all'. What I don't understand is why and when American print and television adopted 'as ... of a ...' as a proper phrase to describe ANYTHING! "He's not that big of a jerk" or "She's not that good of a cheerleader" or "That's not that bad of a traffic jam" "That's not as red of a color as her lipstick" !!! Are you kidding me!?! Can anybody diagram that sentence?!?(Do they do that any more?)

No doubt, with IMs and texting(along with spellcheck without grammarcheck) and messageboard 'styles' of writing, proper use of sentence structure is headed out the window. However, we can do a lot better than "that coachrick guy is not that good of a writer hisownself" can't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,853,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
OK, y'all. I can be a colloquial as the next guy; but, this is driving me crazy!

IN PRINT...in a Statesman self-promotion piece received in today's mail was the following sentence(in REALLY LARGE type):

"Not as big of a jerk as he makes out to be" Refers to Kelso, who may or may not be 'as big of a jerk', YMMV. Some guy who writes columns.

Now, I understand ATX(don't care for it--see other thread), I understand 'supposably'(yes, it's a word, just misused 99% of the time) in place of 'supposedly', I understand 'ain't' and 'y'all'. What I don't understand is why and when American print and television adopted 'as ... of a ...' as a proper phrase to describe ANYTHING! "He's not that big of a jerk" or "She's not that good of a cheerleader" or "That's not that bad of a traffic jam" "That's not as red of a color as her lipstick" !!! Are you kidding me!?! Can anybody diagram that sentence?!?(Do they do that any more?)

No doubt, with IMs and texting(along with spellcheck without grammarcheck) and messageboard 'styles' of writing, proper use of sentence structure is headed out the window. However, we can do a lot better than "that coachrick guy is not that good of a writer hisownself" can't we?
LOL, I understand your frustration. I hate it when people type "loose" instead of "lose". It can be akward when people are asking me about my sister's volleyball game and go "hey, did your sister loose?".

You make a good point though about spellcheckers. Most people don't spell incorrectly anymore because of spell checkers. However, spell checkers don't correct homynyms, or remove extraneous words (such as "of" in your example). As such, we might be the best spellers in the world, but syntax has gone all to hell.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,025,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
LOL, I understand your frustration. I hate it when people type "loose", instead of "lose". It can be awkward when people are asking me about my sister's volleyball game and go "hey, did your sister loose?".
.................................................. . (space)
You make a good point though, about spell^checkers. Most people don't spell incorrectly anymore because of spell checkers. However, spell checkers don't correct homonyms, or remove extraneous words (such as "of" in your example). As such, we might be the best spellers in the world, but syntax has gone all to hell.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Hey! I never said I was a good speller!!! I am one of those that rely on spellcheck! Look at all my post edits, they often say "I am such a terrible speller".

Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,797,669 times
Quote:
Hey! I never said I was a good speller!!! I am one of those that rely on spellcheck! Look at all my post edits, they often say "I am such a terrible speller".
You are not that good of a speller?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Unfortunately no. I know a lot of big words, but the spelling throws me every time. Some words I habitually misspell, such as business, which usually spells to buisness with me.

That's why I never criticize someones spelling. But I do gleefully jump all over incorrect word/term usage. *hangs head in shame*

Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,569,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
As good of a zinger as I've seen in a while!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,013 times
I hear you! Spelling missed by spell-check doesn't bother so much, but I have seen some "words" used on this board that would make you weep. How about "prolly" instead of "probably"? And the grammar! I frequently have the urge to comment, but grammar isn't the topic at hand, so I restrain myself. The one that bothers me the most is the use of "less" in the place of "fewer". "Less" should be used with a singular (less milk), and "fewer" with a plural (fewer eggs). Just think of how many times we have to endure people talking about "less calories"! I don't know if schools have just stopped teaching correct usage, or if people are just getting lazier. But even though it really bothers me, I do try to keep in mind that it isn't life or death. It's just a shame to see this country slipping into illiteracy.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I hear you! Spelling missed by spell-check doesn't bother so much, but I have seen some "words" used on this board that would make you weep. How about "prolly" instead of "probably"? And the grammar! I frequently have the urge to comment, but grammar isn't the topic at hand, so I restrain myself. The one that bothers me the most is the use of "less" in the place of "fewer". "Less" should be used with a singular (less milk), and "fewer" with a plural (fewer eggs). Just think of how many times we have to endure people talking about "less calories"! I don't know if schools have just stopped teaching correct usage, or if people are just getting lazier. But even though it really bothers me, I do try to keep in mind that it isn't life or death. It's just a shame to see this country slipping into illiteracy.
I use prolly all the time. Prolly by the way is accepted slang for probably. I also use b/c for because. Wasn't there another thread where people were complaining about slang? People complaining about not doing full paragraph texts and the such? Sighing about people using slang terms and tut-tutting them when they were probably saying "far out" and "righteous" when they were younger back in the 60s?

I was always under the impression "illiteracy" meant unable to read or write. How is the country slipping into illiteracy if they are misspelling words WHILE reading and writing posts online?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,013 times
Quote:
I use prolly all the time. Prolly by the way is accepted slang for probably. I also use b/c for because. Wasn't there another thread where people were complaining about slang? People complaining about not doing full paragraph texts and the such? Sighing about people using slang terms and tut-tutting them when they were probably saying "far out" and "righteous" when they were younger back in the 60s?

I was always under the impression "illiteracy" meant unable to read or write. How is the country slipping into illiteracy if they are misspelling words WHILE reading and writing posts online?
I have no objection to slang, (how awful that would be - to get bent out of shape when anyone uses slang) but I actually had never heard of "prolly" before your post. I'm sure I use as much slang as anyone else when talking, but I use much less when writing. But that's just me. There are no laws against writing with slang. And I didn't say that the country was illiterate, but was trying to say that, by degrees, we seem to be less and less able to use the language. Read how beautifully people wrote many years ago, and you can see it. In addition, people seem to be reading at a lower grade level than they used to. But people still communicate, and that is the purpose of language. It is a conundrum for lovers of language; on the one hand, it seems petty and stuck in the past to always be correcting people, but on the other hand, it does seem that the English language is something that should be protected, somehow.

In one of the other threads, you asserted that "I pool is meant to be swam in" is correct. I agree that it is hard to find a reference on this usage. When I looked it up, I could find all the perfect forms, but not that one. But I still think it is an error. If you put that sentance into a Word document and do a spell and grammar check, it will say that "swum" is the right form. But I couldn't find a deffinitive source. So I guess we will have to call it a draw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin