Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

I don't think you have to worry about a warrant... and in the past, if you definitely weren't coming back to Texas, I'd say it was no big deal. But I'm fairly certain now that they send these to a collection company, since they have your DL the state will have the SSN as well... also, with the car registration they have the VIN. Plus there are the insurance company databases, some of which are shared among states, which may mean the points for your unpaid ticket will show up. And that's the gift that keeps giving.

So... I'd say the easiest route is Defensive Driving. Take the online version, do everything by mail with the DPS, and it will be taken care of for less than paying the ticket. Since the DD info isn't shared state-to-state, you could take it again in another state immediately if you need it.. so you don't have to worry about the 1-year limit.

Is Texas ticket-happy? I guess you can say that. Traffic enforcement is definitely a part of revenue for city, county, and state entities... and traffic enforcement operations are set up sometimes for safety, other times for revenue. Many states are similar, though. Some may not have the law enforcement resources Texas does, though, and might choose to allocate them differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 11:14 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
The US govenment has mandated a so called "federal license" called, Real ID. In the future all state motor vehicle department databases will be connected. A warrant issued for his arrest for a traffic citation will catch up with him when he tries to get, or renew, a driver's license in another state.

Real ID Act of 2005 (scroll down to Analysis):

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-11-2009, 11:58 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
You could hire an attorney to contest it for you.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:32 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
No pay, get a warrant our for his arrest.

Don't get pulled over w/ a warrant, it sure is pricey!
Oh, I don't know. It might be kind of fun to visit my husband in jail (especially while 9 months pregnant, heh)... plus I could bake him a cake with a nail file in it! Oh, and concoct an elaborate escape caper!

Hmmm... I'm starting to dig this.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
his is called the Drivers License Compact. Member states report tickets to other member states.

Here is the list of states participating in this reciprocation agreement.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming
So Massachusetts doesnt have an agreement and there wont be a warrant out for your arrest there. But if you travel almost anywhere in the country and get pulled over someones going to get arressted.
So my advice is to bite the bullet and pay it.

Also I agree with you the new APD is a bit scummy so it doesnt surprise me they set up an unfair trap. What kind of Police chief will strap you down at a hospital and force you to give blood against your will. Thats downright un-American, he needs to go back to California as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Call and go in ahead of time. You usually can do that and just tell them you are moving out of state before that date and can not get back for it. No tickets have the prices on them for the different violations. You can usually call and get the amount due.

Take defensive driving online and be done with it as well and you can get a discount on your car insurance for it.

If you don't take defensive driving then PAY IT!!! It can come back up and bite you on the butt. He can get arrested for it if a warrant is issued and they DO that as well. If he is by himself then his car will get impounded as well. If he happens to be alone with this new baby on the way then guess what........ you might have to go down to the local CPS office of wherever it is he gets arrested and get your baby/child from them after a long ordeal.

If he plans on getting a CDL or already has one he will need to pay it before it can get renewed. They do a FEDREAL background check on ALL CDL drivers everytime their license comes up for renewal.

While the situation you describe does sound bogus you need to try and do the right thing on your end. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just saying. If everyone that gets one of these tickets goes down and complains then they MIGHT do something about it. If no one complains, no one pays their tickets, no one does anything then nothing changes. Call and see when your husband can go in to a court or whatever before your move date. Just don't give them your drivers license number, name or anything or else they might look you up from your past unpaid ticket

Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think we're just going to pay it since it really isn't that much and we just don't have time to deal with doing anything else right now. Moving is stressful! Paying a ticket you shouldn't have gotten is stressful is too! So's wondering if you're going to get arrested at any minute, heh.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
If you have a warrant (due to any type of violation) and did not plea or contest and just ignore the due date of fine or court. A warrant will be issued. Now, the PO's will probably not come after him, but if he was to get pulled over and when they pull his DL# and see's that warrant, he will get arrested and pay outrageous fees b/c that warrent / ticket was never taken care off.

Take care of the ticket or be prepared what will happen next.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
If you have a warrant (due to any type of violation) and did not plea or contest and just ignore the due date of fine or court. A warrant will be issued. Now, the PO's will probably not come after him, but if he was to get pulled over and when they pull his DL# and see's that warrant, he will get arrested and pay outrageous fees b/c that warrent / ticket was never taken care off.

Take care of the ticket or be prepared what will happen next.
... but what about my nail file cake?!?!

You sure do know how to ruin a girl's good time, Mike.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think we're just going to pay it since it really isn't that much and we just don't have time to deal with doing anything else right now. Moving is stressful! Paying a ticket you shouldn't have gotten is stressful is too! So's wondering if you're going to get arrested at any minute, heh.
Don't forget the perfume. Charlie? Heaven scent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: