Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind Austin has no theme parks. But Schlitterbahn, a top water park, is 45 minutes away in New Braunfels. Sea World and Six Flags-Fiesta Texas are 90 minutes away in San Antonio.

I think Austin will be a bit warmer than most parts of Florida, but less humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:01 PM

42 posts, read 78,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Keep in mind Austin has no theme parks. But Schlitterbahn, a top water park, is 45 minutes away in New Braunfels. Sea World and Six Flags-Fiesta Texas are 90 minutes away in San Antonio.

I think Austin will be a bit warmer than most parts of Florida, but less humid.

i understand there aren't any in austin - thats why i said no good ones in colorado - i don't mind driving a bit for some fun

and holy moly it was hijacked - and trust me, i don't believe everything I read - just trying to gauge certian things and like to do lots of info research before i commit to something- and if i want my job i have now i am able to transfer down there, so job isn't the issue really..

thanks to those that give the helpful info and nice I appreciate it!

Old 10-02-2009, 12:35 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,792,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cherrys View Post
Thanks for the info -
Price range will prob be from 250k-300k. I don't mind being on the outskirts of the city - just don't want to be too far since we both plan on working in austin. Want high rated schools where past performance shows - like good test scores - good teacher ratio ect..

as far as what we want to do there and why we want to move - first i was a military brat and like to move around, spent time in CO and ready for something else - Hubby wants to be somewhere to a good music scene as he plays guitar and likes being in a band ect..
we are outdoorsy people and like doing really anything.. plus the theme parks suck in colorado and no good water parks
Also the only negative i've really heard is the heat - but hey, we moved from FL to CO, so can't be any worse than FL on the heat..
It may be a little hotter than Florida, but nowhere near as humid.

Here's a mapsite that gives school scores that I found handy & easy to use:

Texas School Performance Maps

Unfortunately they haven't loaded '08 info yet, but it gives you good quantitative info on schools & their trends. After identifying schools & neighborhoods, you can get additional info on GreatSchools & with posts here.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 PM

also - anyone know anything about noise ordiances? While we want a decent size lot - 1/2 acre or so, are the laws there crazy if the hubby cranks up the amp and jams out a bit? obviously i'd hope to get nice neighbors

Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
It may be a little hotter than Florida, but nowhere near as humid.

Here's a mapsite that gives school scores that I found handy & easy to use:

Texas School Performance Maps

Unfortunately they haven't loaded '08 info yet, but it gives you good quatitative info on schools & their trends. After identifying schools & neighborhoods, you can get additional info on GreatSchools & with posts here.
Awesome! thanks so much!

Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 PM

484 posts, read 1,586,178 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info -
Price range will prob be from 250k-300k. I don't mind being on the outskirts of the city - just don't want to be too far since we both plan on working in austin. Want high rated schools where past performance shows - like good test scores - good teacher ratio ect..

as far as what we want to do there and why we want to move - first i was a military brat and like to move around, spent time in CO and ready for something else - Hubby wants to be somewhere to a good music scene as he plays guitar and likes being in a band ect..
we are outdoorsy people and like doing really anything.. plus the theme parks suck in colorado and no good water parks
Also the only negative i've really heard is the heat - but hey, we moved from FL to CO, so can't be any worse than FL on the heat..
After reading this post, all I can really say is that you will love Austin. It seems to describe what you're looking for perfectly.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Well, with wanting a half acre lot at that price range, you're going to want to look in places like Georgetown, Round Rock, and Cedar Park/Leander, or somewhere south like Dripping Springs. Possibly Apache Shores and vicinity (Lake Travis School District). Those aren't going to be real close, but depending on where you work in Austin, you could be a reasonable commute. And there are parts of Cedar Park and Round Rock where you can't tell whether you're in them or Austin without a map.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times
Quote:
also - anyone know anything about noise ordiances? While we want a decent size lot - 1/2 acre or so, are the laws there crazy if the hubby cranks up the amp and jams out a bit? obviously i'd hope to get nice neighbors
If he jams music people like - they may like it!

I live outside the city limits and there is no HOA where I live. So there is no noise ordinance at all. I will guess that noise ordinances vary greatly across town. In Austin, in the entertainment areas, there are occasional "fights" over noise/music levels.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, with wanting a half acre lot at that price range, you're going to want to look in places like Georgetown, Round Rock, and Cedar Park/Leander, or somewhere south like Dripping Springs. Possibly Apache Shores and vicinity (Lake Travis School District). Those aren't going to be real close, but depending on where you work in Austin, you could be a reasonable commute. And there are parts of Cedar Park and Round Rock where you can't tell whether you're in them or Austin without a map.
Well I don't have to have a 1/2 acre ( i should of said 1/4 not 1/2) yard work is not my fav thing and flowers are expensive -- i just don't want a tiny lot - i want a yard and a pool i have read near lake travis is nice - not sure the prices there..

I guess my goal is to have somewhere nice w/ good schools that isn't too far away..

Old 10-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If he jams music people like - they may like it!

I live outside the city limits and there is no HOA where I live. So there is no noise ordinance at all. I will guess that noise ordinances vary greatly across town. In Austin, in the entertainment areas, there are occasional "fights" over noise/music levels.

well he likes punk, seems to be somewhat of a scene there Colorado we have a basement so it isn't a big deal - and as long as we aren't too close i'd think we'd be fine... maybe outside city limits is where to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin