Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 14,011 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a new job downtown, but I currently live in North Austin, and I'm wondering what my commute will be like. Basically, how long should it take me to get from around 183 and McNeil to Congress (near the Capitol) in the morning and evening?
I've heard horror stories about how awful traffic tends to be around rush hour going that way (I'll be working 8-5) so I'm trying to prep myself for the shock

Any insight is appreciated...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 PM

440 posts, read 1,682,682 times
I take 183 to Burnet to Central Austin leaving most days by 8:10, and I get to work in about 20-25 minutes.

Coming home, I take Burnet, under 183, to MoPac. 183 is a BEAST in the evenings.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,021,687 times
move to S. Austin as soon as you can. - until then, you'll have to grin and bear it.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
As KWPN evidently does, I'd recommend finding some back ways that will allow you to avoid the rush hour traffic on Mopac. There are a few.

Moving to South Austin is not the answer to everything (says she who lived there for some years and still owns a house there, but, still).

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
I drive a reverse commute and so I see the traffic backed up on 183 and getting onto Mopac. There's really no "back way" to get from 183/McNeil up to the Burnet Rd / Mopac area. Once you are there, yes, you can take alternate routes, but getting there is half the battle. Well, you could take Jollyville over to Great Hills and hop on 183 there, but it's not any faster.

The only thing I would recommend is leaving earlier. With no traffic, that's only about a 20 minute commute. In rush hour, it could be 30-40. I face the same dilema. I don't need to be to work until 8, but I leave the house at 7, I get here in 25 minutes. If I waited until 7:30, it would take me twice as long.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
There are a few partials, though I haven't driven them at rush hour - Jollyville Road to Great Hills Trail to 183 to Burnet or Jollyville Road to Braker to Burnet. I've been known to use partial alternate routes, depending on traffic, when the main routes get clogged, and get there a lot quicker, surprisingly. It never hurts to have some of those in your back pocket in case of need (accident on the main route, in addition to normal heavy traffic).

Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There are a few partials, though I haven't driven them at rush hour - Jollyville Road to Great Hills Trail to 183 to Burnet or Jollyville Road to Braker to Burnet. I've been known to use partial alternate routes, depending on traffic, when the main routes get clogged, and get there a lot quicker, surprisingly. It never hurts to have some of those in your back pocket in case of need (accident on the main route, in addition to normal heavy traffic).
I've done those on the reverse commute and they are acceptable as alternatives, but not terribly efficient for daily commuting. However - it did give me another idea! If you are at 183 and McNeil, you could take McNeil to Parmer and then Parmer to Mopac. That way you avoid the giant clog getting onto Mopac at 183. Worth trying anyway.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,021,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've done those on the reverse commute and they are acceptable as alternatives, but not terribly efficient for daily commuting. However - it did give me another idea! If you are at 183 and McNeil, you could take McNeil to Parmer and then Parmer to Mopac. That way you avoid the giant clog getting onto Mopac at 183. Worth trying anyway.
or you could move to S. Austin, and avoid all the silly tricks and algorithms it takes to get downtown from anywhere middle class in North Austin.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,738,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by <3mylab View Post
I recently accepted a new job downtown, but I currently live in North Austin, and I'm wondering what my commute will be like. Basically, how long should it take me to get from around 183 and McNeil to Congress (near the Capitol) in the morning and evening?
I've heard horror stories about how awful traffic tends to be around rush hour going that way (I'll be working 8-5) so I'm trying to prep myself for the shock

Any insight is appreciated...Thanks!
Sorry to be a stickler but "Congress (near the Capitol)" is within the CBD so it is most definitely Central Austin, not South Austin.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
I drive the reverse way (from Central Austin to north central Austin) everyday. In my experience the morning drive is congested but moving steadily, it is the evening commute that can be difficult. That's when you will need alternatives.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: