Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times

Advertisements

Time to escape the heat(partially)...we have six relatives headed our way for next week and I'm told they want to 'tube' a river. I've heard the San Marcos is 'better' somehow but would welcome any opinions from local experts. We can go on a week-day, hopefully to avoid some of the crowds. Any C-Ders have recommendations? Any favorite tube rental companies? Thanks and stay cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
No river is "better" than a lazy float down the Comal (on a week day).

After your float have a late lunch/early dinner at Huisache or the Gristmill.

I prefer to use the rentals at the Wursthalle (longest float on the Comal).

If going next week avoid (like the plague) ANY river on Fri/Sat & Sun...unless you get there before 10:30am.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:20 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,162 times
san marcos is a great choice.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 AM

29 posts, read 111,134 times
Honestly, San Marcos is a horrible choice right now. The vegetation in the River has taken over and you're constantly brushing up against it or having to paddle away from it. On top of that, the water is low and very stagnant in places.

The Comal in New Braunfels is definitely what you want to do.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:43 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
What about the river around Seguin? My mom went to college there and said people tube there and did as well when she was there.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks all! We'll talk it over when the folks arrive tonight. Looks like the Comal might be the best shot--multiple 'toob' suppliers in the area as well. We're still new to the area(one year), especially south of Austin(OK, one trip to Salt Lick and down to the outlet mall), so the smallest river in the world was unknown to me.

Interesting that some of the businesses in the area apparently developed their web pages a half-dozen years ago and never updated. I can't put much stock in 'feedback' from 2003! Just sayin'...

Anyway,
As an ex tennis teaching pro, I should have visited Newk's tennis ranch years ago but I couldn't justify traveling over 1000 miles to play tennis on hard courts when I was surrounded by thousands of courts in Atlanta. Still need to get down to New Braunfels area for that--might wait for slightly cooler temps.

Maybe I'll take the trip, put the relatives in the water, and do a little exploring on my own.

Anybody know how to pronounce Seguin??? Don't want to sound like a rookie.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
sah-geen. Although I was listening to some radio show where there was an argument over whether it was pronounced segwhen or seh-geen. In my entire life I've never, ever heard anyone call it se-gwhen so my suggestion will always be to call it seh-geen. (that's with a hard g by the way )

Old 06-28-2009, 11:17 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Suh-geen. Named after Juan Seguin and his father Erasmo, which is "Say-GEEN--" almost the same thing.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Thanks y'all...sah-seh-suh-say-geen it is!

I am truly Humbled by the Manor in which many local names are pronounced, dag-Burnet!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Thanks all! We'll talk it over when the folks arrive tonight. Looks like the Comal might be the best shot--multiple 'toob' suppliers in the area as well. We're still new to the area(one year), especially south of Austin(OK, one trip to Salt Lick and down to the outlet mall), so the smallest river in the world was unknown to me.

Interesting that some of the businesses in the area apparently developed their web pages a half-dozen years ago and never updated. I can't put much stock in 'feedback' from 2003! Just sayin'...

Anyway,
As an ex tennis teaching pro, I should have visited Newk's tennis ranch years ago but I couldn't justify traveling over 1000 miles to play tennis on hard courts when I was surrounded by thousands of courts in Atlanta. Still need to get down to New Braunfels area for that--might wait for slightly cooler temps.

Maybe I'll take the trip, put the relatives in the water, and do a little exploring on my own.
Here's a link to the toob rental place at the Wurstfest Grounds.

Landa Falls

imo, the best place because it's the longest float (on the world's shortest river ), parking is secure right there on the Wurstfest Grounds, & the first few hundred yards you have the river to yourself before the other companies dump their folks in at their starting point. It's about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour float.

Read up on the tube chute so they know if they either do or don't want to do it....it's fun but a little scary for some. Also read up on what containers are & aren't allowed. If this is a "family float", definitely do the Comal as your first float. Lots of rowdies up on the Guadalupe.....& since the Comal Springs are right there in Landa Park, the water is a heavenly 75-76 degrees. (It's the water used for Schlitterbahn).

My kid played at Newks for a couple of years....great training, but kind of a dumpy place. (but i like it).

Have fun & definitely check out Gruene & the Gristmill afterwards...if you've never been down to NB.

(But start your day early & end your day early for lots of reasons.)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin