Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:25 PM

191 posts, read 693,721 times

Advertisements

I am from MN and just found out that my cost of attendance should be around $17k which is great! I'm definately looking for some place a little warmer and I know Texas is much warmer on average than MN. What can a college freshmen expect moving from MN suburbs to Austin?
btw Ill be going for a computer science/engineering degree and would like to know how well I could do in Texas. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 PM

191 posts, read 693,721 times
dang. just looked closer and its actually going to cost $34k. nevermind.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,297,605 times
UT is overrated and overpriced... as you are seeing

Old 04-12-2007, 07:26 AM

447 posts, read 1,851,744 times
Hey, hey now. I work in the College of Natural Sciences at UT - watch what you say!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,700,552 times
Quote:
UT is overrated and overpriced... as you are seeing
Excepting people who think UT is heaven on earth and those that think it resides in the lower planes of hell, UT is generally considered a well regarded engineering/computer sciences school. It is more expensive than it used to be (especially for out-of-staters), but as an in-state school is still considered to be a good bargain for what you get.

Btw, Rice University was recently (last 2 or 3 years) rated as the best education for your money in the US.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Excepting people who think UT is heaven on earth and those that think it resides in the lower planes of hell, UT is generally considered a well regarded engineering/computer sciences school. It is more expensive than it used to be (especially for out-of-staters), but as an in-state school is still considered to be a good bargain for what you get.

Btw, Rice University was recently (last 2 or 3 years) rated as the best education for your money in the US.
Yes, UT is a good school but a bit full of itself these days. This isn't just my opinion.... I hear it a lot from people who went/are going there. I looked at them for graduate school but the tuition is more than the same degree at most private schools. A friend of mine actually ended up going to Stanford (yes, Stanford) because they offered him a better deal than UT did

Rice University, in my opinion, is in an entirely different league. It represents everything that a university *should* be and is up there with the Ivy League schools in academic rigor and quality. Why, oh why, does it have to be in Houston? I wish they could pick up the campus and plop it down somewhere in Central Texas

Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 PM

982 posts, read 3,310,098 times
My husband got a computer science degree at A&M - he had to deal with the out-of-state tuition also - but he received a scholarship to help with that. Maybe worth checking out if you're still looking at moving to Texas.

I also have to agree that UT is a bit overrated, and I've also heard it from students that go there. Their thought was that they spent the majority of their focus on the grad students. A friend of mine wanted to go back to school to get the pre-recs for pharmacy school, but could only take at MOST 9 hours, because she was a single mom and had to work full-time. Even if she only took 9 hours, they were going to charge for 12. I didn't look into this myself, so maybe she misunderstood or the rule is different now. I wouldn't be surprised though - especially since you can't get a tuition bill with all the fees listed.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
My husband got a computer science degree at A&M - he had to deal with the out-of-state tuition also - but he received a scholarship to help with that. Maybe worth checking out if you're still looking at moving to Texas.

I also have to agree that UT is a bit overrated, and I've also heard it from students that go there. Their thought was that they spent the majority of their focus on the grad students. A friend of mine wanted to go back to school to get the pre-recs for pharmacy school, but could only take at MOST 9 hours, because she was a single mom and had to work full-time. Even if she only took 9 hours, they were going to charge for 12. I didn't look into this myself, so maybe she misunderstood or the rule is different now. I wouldn't be surprised though - especially since you can't get a tuition bill with all the fees listed.
I think it's still that way. I think you're charged for full-time tuition regardless of how many actual hours you take. UT is also very inflexible for people who have jobs. Another thing they do is require 60-hours in residency, meaning that if you transfer in with 70 or 80-hours of college credit, you still have to take another 60 at UT before they will let you graduate. That's ridiculous. I don't know who they think they are but they seem to forget that they're just a public school in Texas.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:01 PM

Yes, the flat rate tuition applies at UT. You are charged for 12 credits (which is the minimum credits to be considered full time) whether you take 9 or 17 (the maximum allowed). There are pros and cons to flat rate tuition, of course.

I'm surprised to hear the "overrated" vibe. That is not what I have heard at all from students, faculty, employees, and many of my friends who are UT alumni. Of course, any school with over 50,000 students is going to inspire a WIDE variety of feelings, so I'm sure there are thousands who feel it is overrated, as well as thousands who feel it is a little piece of paradise here in central Texas.

Regardless of whether the academics or life here is considered overrated, I do think it is a terrific deal on education for in-state people. I went to 2 very elite universities for undergrad and graduate school, and I'm really pleasantly surprised at how rigorous the academics here and how low the tuition bill is for instate. Of course, the school I went to for undergrad is now well over 50k a year, so it's all perspective.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I think it's still that way. I think you're charged for full-time tuition regardless of how many actual hours you take. UT is also very inflexible for people who have jobs. Another thing they do is require 60-hours in residency, meaning that if you transfer in with 70 or 80-hours of college credit, you still have to take another 60 at UT before they will let you graduate. That's ridiculous. I don't know who they think they are but they seem to forget that they're just a public school in Texas.
I feel just the opposite. I think being granted a diploma from a university means that you should take at least half those classes from that university. I am actually surprised at how many credits UT DOES allow students to take at another college or community college - my undergrad institution severely limited transfer credits, and forget about community college credits. I realize that is a difference between private and public institutions, but still... I honestly don't see why you would view this as unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin