Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:19 AM

15 posts, read 58,223 times

Advertisements

The humidity reports don't seem accurate on this website. They put Chicago and Washington North Carolina and Austin Texas at around the same humidity. I lived in both Chicago and Washington (East) North Carolina and North Carolina was like a sticky swamp compared to Chicago. I've been in the panhandle of Texas and its not too bad, but was considering moving to Austin Texas. So I'm wondering can someone give me an honest realistic assessment of how bad the humidity is in Austin Texas? Say for example compare it to Corpus Cristi to San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 07:11 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,761 times
I was born/raised in chicago and the weather here feels exactly like Chicago to me.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:44 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,291 times
Default Humidity in Austin vs Chicago vs North Carolina

I currently live in central N.C. for 20 years now, lived in Chicago for many years, and have visited Austin, so I think I can offer some comparison.

I would agree that Austin and Chicago feel pretty similar, with Austin being hotter for longer in the summer. In my opinion, nothing compares to the muggy, buggy summers of the Triangle area and central N.C. There is no significant cool-down at night, and the humidity is always high from May to late Sept.
I have visited Austin over the 4th of July, and while definitely hot, the humidity did not feel nearly as uncomfortable as N.C., and seemed to have a drier more 'southwest' feel, as opposed to 'south' type of humidity...if that makes sense.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:03 PM

25 posts, read 129,160 times
Default Austin and Chicago similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
I was born/raised in chicago and the weather here feels exactly like Chicago to me.
Chicago and Austin have similar climates??? I'm assuming you mean the summer climate...because Chicago winters cannot even compare. I've lived in Chicago and was raised in Texas (not austin)...but I'm certain Austin winters are totally different.

Or perhaps you are only referring to humidity levels?

Anyway...just found the comparison interesting.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:05 PM

193 posts, read 245,223 times
"Little" Washington, NC is near the coast so of course it is more humid than Austin. The humidity in Austin is comparable to the Piedmont of NC.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:19 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
It depends where you're at in the world as to how the humidity will feel. You could have two places with the exact same percentage of relative humidity, but it my feel different, depending on where you're situated.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,801 times
We go over this all the time in the forum. I will break it down for you:

- People from the West (CA, WA, OR) think Austin is humid.

- People from the East (FL, NC, Gulf Coast, New England) think Austin is dry.

- People from the Midwest think that Austin feels "normal".

I'm actually from Southeast Texas, which has the same swampy, muggy climate as Louisiana. Austin feels like a desert to me. My lips stayed chapped for the first 3-years I've lived here and my skin dries out in the summer/winter.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
I'm from Southeast Texas myself, and I have to agree with jread. I wouldn't say it feels like a desert, but it is quite a bit dryer than Southeast Texas.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:48 AM

351 posts, read 1,430,961 times
The humidity for me is not an issue whatsoever, in fact I think it's just about right. Before Austin I lived in Las Vegas, the dryness of Las Vegas was more an issue then the humidity has been living in Austin.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAnAdventure View Post

Chicago and Austin have similar climates??? I'm assuming you mean the summer climate...because Chicago winters cannot even compare. I've lived in Chicago and was raised in Texas (not austin)...but I'm certain Austin winters are totally different.

Or perhaps you are only referring to humidity levels?

Anyway...just found the comparison interesting.

I'm referring mainly to humidity levels, but also how certain times of year here have a similar "feel" in the air to Chicago. Of course, winters are not even in the same ballpark, but spring here feels like spring in Chicago (and I refer to the days in Chicago springs that consist of 75 degrees, not the 30 degrees the next day). A nice fall day here feels like a nice fall day in chicago. A hot summer day feels like a hot summer day in Chicago. The key difference being there are fewer nice days period in Chicago.

I think somebody moving here from Chicago will have a very easy adjustment to any of the "seasons" here for that reason.

Hope this helps clear up my earlier confusing post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin